The Session.org - 50000 members

The Session.org - 50000 members

I’ve just noticed that membership has gone through the 50000 mark , with Drumline83 claiming member #50000.

Re: The Session.org - 50000 members

we should have cake… anyone got cake? mmmm… cake!

Cake and beer :D

Posted by .

Hold the cake !

Posted by .

It’s usually a Cheese and Wine party, or am I just being a snob ??

Cheese and Wine, eh, Cheese and Wine he says.. go away outa that, Cheese and Wine.

cheap cola and butterfly buns.. thats what you get.
Cheese and Wine indeed.

😛

OK - speaking of cheese, what IS your favourite?
I’m partial to a bit of Blue Shropshire myself (on a Carr’s water biscuit of course)

Craft singles myself…

Lol! Benhall… that explains why i’m addicted to it!

🙂

Scotch and water…….I’ll have the Scotch you can have the water.

(I think I’m member #56 or somewhere around there)

Mary

Mary your #53… it tells you in the address bar when you click on your profile.

I’m no. 13774 (Way down the list in comparison)

Let’s have a tune!

Posted by .

Ah, well done Jack! That’s what we need!

…and cake? Cheese? Wine? Come on now! It’s TheSession.org! A pint and a plate of chips is what you get. Please pass the salt & vinegar.

fifty thousand? I’m 47,615 and I only joined this summer

so over 2 thousand new members this summer?

I’m sorry fellas, but this is getting way too popular. I’m going to have to have a go at the aboriginal flute music of Outer Mongolia

Maybe we can have a drink in honour of this 50k at Gundegai Turning Wave Festival if enough Mustarders (sounds better than SessionOrgers) turn up.

Something which I often wonder about - It’s funny how the "usual suspects" do most of the posting on here. Think of how long the threads might be if all 50,000 members were so loquacious!

Hard to believe that there are so many people playing ITM….

I thought we were the noble few preserving a fine, esoteric art form.

I wonder if there are that many folks into Rap or Greater Monrovian Folk Humming?

Yep, 50,000 is twice the population of this place … thesession.org is huge … say something Drumline83 … congratulations you are the winner … press number 1 to collect your prize (well at least he or she could make a speach or at least say something).
Donough, have a great festival, hey! … and fill us in with all the goss when you get home … a drink in honour of Mustarder no 50,000 sounds a lovely idea. Wish I could be there, but I can’t … so best wishes to all anyhow. Perhaps we could also think global and have all the people on the yellowboard raising their glasses at a pre-arranged syncronised time (maybe of Jeremy’s choosing) and we could all toast thesess and play … woo hoo! I’d be in that.
Best for fest.

50k. Amazing. Up the session.org!

do you think it could be just a couple hundred members and some 49 thousand puppets?

Let’s hear from you, Drumline83! Fantastic achievement! How did you do it?

BTW I notice that member number 10000 (jdrage) has submitted nothing (no tune, session, link, discussion, comment) since joining. Where are you jdrage? Are you lurking out there?

Sorry to pour cold water on the celebrations, chaps, but the real number of members is 49449 (I checked a minute or so ago). The shortfall represents those who have departed - some perhaps pushed (with good reason!), and others voluntarily after mature consideration.

Re: The Session.org - 49449 members

Party on!

Posted by .

wahey!

So we could have another celebration when it gets to 50,000 current signed up members. Are you going to keep an eye on this on for us, lazyhound?

But the trouble with reckoning it that way is that the 50,000th in the list would change every time an earlier joiner was removed from the list. I think Drumline83 has done ever so well with his joining strategy (whatever it was) that I’d hate to have to take the deserved accolade away from him. Whichever way you look at it Drumline83 was the 50,000th to join.

Ah lazyhound, you shiftless dog, you probably poshed on folks celebrating the millennium in year 2000, too. ☺

Who mentioned cheese?? Around these parts you can get this amazing type called Beemster, it’s a hard aged cheese, very very strong, the kind you only take small bites out of.. and of course the price reflects the addiction it imposes…

There’s also a very nice smoked Jarsleburg, 8 year old white cheddar and a Smoked Applewood .. yum..!!! My wallet cries at the thought of it all…

I noticed that Drowsey Maggie is still only in 1,917 tunebooks…

So the other 48,083 of us need to get cracking on it!

🙂 hmm odd

That’s bigger than the population of Durham (UK). It’s about equivalent to ten Roman legions and eight times the size of Bonnie Prince Charlie’s army when he invaded England.

Which town with a decent functioning brewery shall we take over first?

I.P.A. and Pumpkin pie! My fav celebration combo.

Member #37272

OK, fess up… how many of you have registered more than one nickname so that you can start wind-up threads, and hassle people anonymously?

Let’s see… 50000 registrations, maybe 1000 active members, 30000 people who found the tune database and thought they had to sign up to access it… 9000 lurkers… So that would mean every active member could have 10 different nicknames that they’ve registered 😉

Seriously, we’ve talked about this before, but it would be interesting to know some statistics from data mining the database. Like how many of the 50K users have ever posted… How many of them have tunes in their tunebook… How many of them have never logged in more than once, etc…

That’s a point. I wonder how many people have logged on, checked in, experienced utter revulsion and never looked at the site again!..

So: 50,000 people freely admit their narrow, racially-based musical interest.

ITMers thereby offend Music and all musicians originating elsewhere on Our Planet. This exclusionary arrogance must cease. One day each of us will be asked to account for our having aided in the spread of this infectious ‘Green Fever’—the music of a singular cloudy island. Why Ireland? Why traditional? Do any of us really imagine we are islands unto ourselves? Friends, please think again.

For now, enjoy ITM while quirky interests are still socially and politically acceptable. However, know that in time your jig fetish will bring you before The Committee. (Or, maybe even The Secretariat—which kinda sounds spookily higher up the Towuh of Powuh, am I right?)

I might add that the occasional playing of ‘Frank’s Reel’ or other odd items plucked from the Scots miscellany is insufficient.

And welcome davidmahe - 50036

I wonder how many real participatory members this site has ever had at one time - my guess would be less than 250 at the very most.

If you want to check some of the memorable member numbers (1, 100, 250, 500, 1000, etc.) then use https://thesession.org/members/ with the appropriate number added after the last slash. You’ll soon discover that virtually none of these lasted the pace beyond signing up.

Posted by .

I would bet that more than 250 people have logged into this site in the last week… Put it this way, there are about 30 new registrations a day at this point. Not that very many of those people become active…

Seems to me that Jeremy posted some numbers once when we were discussing this. I’ll look

Rev,

I wrote ‘real participatory members’ which is rather different to the number logging in.

Posted by .

I am ready to stand before the Global Cultural Secretariat! Bring it on! I fiddle brazenly in their general direction!

Well, what would you define "real participatory" as then? People who have actually posted things in one of the sections? People who post more than once a month? Or would you consider people who log in and use the tunebooks, but never post anything to be "participatory"?

I found the thread where we were discussing this (https://thesession.org/discussions/17981)

Jeremy said his estimate was 5% of people being active. So that’s about 2500, although, not necessarily all at once…

Drumline83 sounds like a nice person. He just asked me if wouldn’t mind looking after $12,000,000 of his, as he’s having a bit of trouble getting it out of the country, or something. Anyway, I e-mailed my bank details and bob’s my uncle. He said I could keep the interest.

Posted .

…which brings us nicely to our next data mining experiment: scrubbing all the scam artists out of the data base…

No, you’re confusing the issue and don’t seem to understand the meaning of the word ‘participatory’.

It’s not participatory simply to download tunes, but it is so to post a message or respond to one on any of the interactive elements of The Session. Anyone who doesn’t do so is a non-participant.

Posted by .

I’m not confusing the issue, I was asking you a question to try to clear up confusion.

So what’s your definition of "at one time"?

I would also be willing to bet that more than 250 people have posted something in at least one of the sections of this site in, say, the last 6 months…

For many of us, Ireland is not our earthly home but is a mystic land, hidden in the Cloud of Unknowing even as the base Ireland is permanently wrapped in clouds and rain perceptible even to the gross senses of the vulgar herd.

Impervious to reason, our aspirations are fixed on an entity that is equally resistant to mere scientific proof - nothing short of the New Ireland, poised in the heavens to descend one day, who knows where, and call to it all its devotees, who will spend thereafter having the thoroughly nice time the ancient Celts are supposed to have had, but probably didn’t.

In short it is a movement, like the Falun Gong, or perhaps those flagellants and St. Vitus’s Dancers whose antics enlivened the Middle Ages.

Charity / tax exempt status has in the past been available for such, though I’d have thought governments would be fairly cagey about such things by now. But no harm in trying.

That’s what I’m talking about, nicholas! Give me that old-time newfangled Celto-mysticism with large doses of LMAO. Gets me out of bed in the morning.

Well, I’m raising a glass. Cheers, everyone.

Thank you, each and every one of you, for being part of The Session.

Hey! The Boss Man! Here’s to you, big guy. Many kudos should be yours. You do all the heavy lifting!

Wow, since I last posted, there’s three more already, all called John or Johnny, coincidentally. Welcome John(ny).

Two and a half times the population of the town I live in? Geesh! Congrats, Jeremy —- you started something, here.

Now maybe some of you lot could move here and help me support the only music shop in the area that actually stocks this type of music… 😉

Yay Jeremy! Congratulations and many thanks from an old scraper.

"Impervious to reason" - Good one Nicholas.

Posted by .

Congrats to Jeremy for nurturing a site that’s never boring!

Posted by .

Hear! Hear! Here’s to Jeremy! Thanks for this.

Yes. Thanks, Jeremy, for creating this hugely diverting and informative site.

I will gladly drink to this also if someone will buy us some of my favorite poison (Shiner Bock).
As for the cheese, I will be glad to help eat it so long as the cheese isn’t one of these fancy, over-priced, "aged" cheeses.
According to the most recent senseless (from 2000), the population of the town I live in is sixty-two or sixty-three thousand something.
"Loquacious" Bannerman? I would have just said "talkative".
I thought "Secretariat" was a famous race horse.

Talking about favourite poisons and no slur intended - don’t the Canadians make a beer called Arrogant Bastard? It’s a great name for a beer. Do our Canadian friends look at each other halfway through a session, saying "another Arrogant Bastard,chaps?".

Posted by .

i like arrogant bastard, and i’m partly saying it so you will know i am active here

kj

Before you get too far into the wine, beer, and cheese, keep in mind that 28,390 of those 50,000 members are Guitar101 and his/her aliases.

Still impressive, of course.

I still drink a glass of whisky to it! Yay for the TheSession!!!

I fancy a celebratory whisky myself but the day has barely dawned down here…

Posted by .

Sam Adams beer, Coastal cheddar…it doesn’t get any better than that.

50,000 is less than the turnout for a Test match in Mumbai ….

Don’t forget me..
I’m going through a lurking phase
*squeak*

50000 is probably less than you’d pay for an imitation fake Stradivarius, come to that…

Trevor
I’m not 100% convinced by your theory about 49449 (now 49460) members! I suspect you arrived at this by clicking Members then Search (with a blank search box).
This comes up with a list starting with Jeremy saying "1-10 of 49460."
If you go to Last and page backwards, hovering the mouse over each name, you’ll see member number.
The odd thing is that Drumline83 doesn’t appear in the list, yet a simple Search using that name in the Search box will bring him/her up.
Anyway, that’s enough of this geeky nonsense!

How about introducing another figure/ formula, something you can work towards and be really smarmy about. Lets call it your "S-factor".

And the formula is:
10 times the (number of tunes submitted + sessions submitted + discussions submitted) + The number of comments submitted. All divided by your membership number.

So my S-factor is: [10(0+1+36)+6153] / 3217 = 2.028 (to 3 dec places)

Let’s try Will:
[10(216+1+47)+9331] / 58 = 206.397 Bloody brilliant.

Jeremy:
[10(143+6+26)+936] / 1 = 2,686 that will obviously never be beaten

Posted .

ceolachan has the S-factor:

[10(519+4+100)+17918] / 11705 = 2.063

Started much later than me, but still beats me.

Posted .

my S Factor calculates to 0.0050614

mathematically I could achieve unity if my S Factor were equal to 1.000

my rough calculations show that in order to do that, I would have to either submit 4700 tunes, sessions, or threads, or make another 47,000 wise ass remarks.

and since I don’t know of any new sessions….

Looking through the members list at random, it’s a bit disappointing how few have put anything about themselves in their biography, and also how many have a string of "duck-eggs" after "Number of comments, tunes, discussions posted", etc. We’re no that scary, are we 🙂 ?
Anyway, thanks for everything here, Jeremy : "Here’s tae us, wha’s like us ?"

Posted by .

Gae few, an’ they’re a’ deed🙂

Me - a paltry (10(43+1+55)+703)/14757 = 0.115

But Lazy Trevor=2.333

and Antikhntr (see up this thread) = 15.566

Zina hasn’t posted more than a couple of times in the last couple of years, and her number is still a respectable 210.

Heck, a good half of the 50K members have signed up since she stopped posting!

I’m a measly 1.65…

I’m more than open to a tweaking of the formula. The basic idea being that the longer you’ve been around, the more repetition you will have seen, so your reactions to the same old questions are more informed. So I think that the idea that your score diminishes exponentially the newer you are is a good thing. I haven’t posted any tunes, so I lose out there. Is one tune worth ten comments? Maybe it should be more. Tweak away.

Though the basic premise that Jeremy’s score should be exponentially bigger than anyone else’s must stay. And that Will’s score must for some considerable time to come be unattainable by anyone else.

And I like the idea that 1 is a reasonable benchmark to go for and that it should take you many many years to achieve.

Rev, 1.65 is a good score.

Posted .

Hey, no fair! Jeremy’s tune submissions were all low hanging fruit! And for a long time he was the only one who could post tunes! And the sun was in my eyes, and I had a rock in my shoe. I couldda kept up, really I couldda….

😉

Bear in mind that a low member number only means some of us (Mary and I, apparently) were more desperate loners than the rest of you….

Posted .

By the 5:1 rule, I suggest that self-penned tunes score -5 and others score +1. This is then cinsistent with the "penance" (see FAQ), which implies that you should submit 5 trad to cancel out 1 self-composed. 😉

Don’t you mean sqr-root the Denominator?

Congratulations Jeremy, and thank you very much for putting this website together! This baby of yours is a treasure.

PS My congressman threatened to make some remarks for this occasion, as he’s under the strange impression that these are all constituents of his.

Maybe instead of dividing by the member number, you would be better off dividing by the last digit of the year the person registered multiplied by 1000. So Jeremy, Will, Mary, and others would have a denominator of 1000 (2001), and brand new people would have a denominator of 8000 (2008). That would smooth out the curve a bit, but still make it an important part of the equation.

Not that we really have that information readily available…

Based on intense study of the subject, I propose the following Smarmy-Factor relationship:

S = (10Se+4Tt-2To+C*φ+0.01L)/(3*ln(M))

where:

S = Smarmy Factor
Se = # of sessions submitted
Tt = # of traditional tunes submitted
To = # of original compositions submitted
C = # of comments submitted
φ = (average character length of an individuals comments)/100
L = cumulative total # of page loads ever logged by your username
M = member #

Since everyone here worships the great Jeremy, ln(1)=0 which ensures his smarmy factor will always be infinity.

Also, all S-factors have a margin of error of ± 150%.

Posted .

and uh, for a small fee of $200 I can calculate yours for you.

Posted .

Dan
I’m not convinced! See my post of Sep 18th.
Or click on the link you’ve given, then click on "Last" then hover your mouse over the last name - s/he’s 50251. This means the 50251th member to join. The ‘missing’ 394 members have been removed for some reason. Either way, 250-odd members have joined since Sep 17 (ie in a week) so at that rate the 50000 mark should be broken on both bases and the difference of opinion will be academic 🙂
D

~ 24 & 1/4 people per day have joined w/mustard since this thread 1st posted.
Give or take a fraction here & there.

Posted by .

How did you find this thread again, Ben? If there is a sign that one is spending too much time on the Mustard Board, posting to a thread that was last updated in 2008 probably hits the mark. (And adding another post like I am is not far behind!)