1924 Gibson Tenor Lute?

1924 Gibson Tenor Lute?

I have and play a 1924 Gibson Tenor Lute (TL 1) model which is not a lute at all. It is a tenor banjo neck on a A shape mandolin body. It is very rare as only 89 were made by Gibson in the 1924 time period. Never to be manufactured again.

I have my TL tuned and play it as an octave mandolin. Does an member have a 1924 Gibson Tenor Lute or has any member ever seen one? Thank you for your reply.

Re: 1924 Gibson Tenor Lute?

Seen one at a store. Didn’t have time to play it unfortunately. How does it sound?

Posted by .

Not bad, but somewhat different from an octave mandolin with only four strings.

However as I wait to find a Korean made Trinity College OM to purchase, it serves the propose to learn scales and chords.

I treat it is as a “Home” party piece. I seldom take it to sessions as it is too valuable and non-replaceable.

The Gibson tenor lutes I like are the 8-string ones (4 courses of 2 strings each, like an octave mandolin). I “courted too slow” many years ago, waiting too long to buy one from John Lundberg in Berkeley. A real beauty, and in retrospect the name “REX” crudely etched by a pocketknife should only have increased its charm….

PG

Thank you for the photos lead. The tenor lute shown has been sold.

My TL is in about the same condition but without an original case.

Does somebody have a contact of OP? I’ve tried to contact him via PM but no success yet

Posted by .