Tunes played on Star Trek: TNG by Picard on tin whistle in episode “The Inner Light”

Tunes played on Star Trek: TNG by Picard on tin whistle in episode “The Inner Light”

I’m guessing a few of you have seen the Star Trek: Next Generation Episode where Picard lives another life, and learns to play a sort of tin whistle. Has anyone come across any sheet music for the tunes he played? They’re some great tunes, and I’d think someone would have transcribed them before now. I googled it though, and can’t find anything.

Re: Tunes played on Star Trek: TNG by Picard on tin whistle in episode “The Inner Light”

Did you only see the episode once on some obscure cable channel? Or did you buy the dvd?

Posted .

Re: Tunes played on Star Trek: TNG by Picard on tin whistle in episode “The Inner Light”

I rented the DVD off Netflix.

did you look on youtube? there are quite a few videos for "inner light" (I searched for "Picard whistle")

Here’s one…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5EluFlra2A

I think there’s an old discussion of that here somewhere.

Thanks for the link to the video. I’ll try to transcribe the melody and maybe post it on the internet somewhere. I dunno how to do ABC, so I’ll need to post it somewhere else, but I’ll post a link just in case anyone’s interested.

But will you also boldly go to your nearest session and play it?

lol

Hmm, not so sure about that one…

:P

To boldly go to your nearest session……

If anyone objects to your playing of the tune, just tell them that ‘resistance is futile!’

I love Star Trek. Always have ever since I was a kid.
A bit of trivia; That flute/whistle didn’t work. It never made a peep. It was just a prop.

"If anyone objects to your playing of the tune, just tell them that ‘resistance is futile!’ "

Don’t you mean, "resistance is flutile?

Posted by .

Here’s a possible story-line:

Picard has annoyed the neighbours (the Klingons) by continually practising on his tin whistle. There is an altercation, and in the course of a scuffle, Picard’s uniform is torn. He subsequently orders a replacement from the Enterprise’s fabric cloning facility, but there is a delay:

Lt. Cdr. Data: The Enterprise’s sewing machine seems to have developed a technical problem , Captain!

Cpt. Picard: Make it sew!

I heard that Patrick Stewart really wanted to play the flute live, but that he just wasn’t that good (and more’s the pity; I really wanted to believe that the whistle was his only connection to that world).

I think you people are "warped" from watching too many episodes of Star Trek in all of its various incarnations.

I thought you were going to behave yourself?

:-)

Posted by .

Behaving myself is no fun.
I will admit to watching many episodes of Star Trek in all of its various incarnations (including the Next Degeneration) since I was a teenager and enjoying all of them. In my defense, I must point out that Star Trek is better than most of the junk on television.
I will also confess to making the mistake of attending a local Star Trek convention. The people at the convention were nice but they were so obsessed with Star Trek that it made me uncomfortable.
I was going to leave until I noticed that the two women who were running the convention needed some help. They were very grateful when I offered to help them and I enjoyed helping them run this Trekkie convention. I continued to volunteer to help them put on their convention for two or three years in a row. Then they stopped putting on this convention due to lack of money.

I don’t know why I am admitting this on a public forum — blame the lurgie — but I too have attended Star Trek conventions. It was good fun. After one, there was a pic in the local newspaper of my brother, who must have been about six years old at the time, hiding behind my dad from a Klingon.

I like Worf’s explanation of what happened to the look of Klingons between TOS and TNG: "We never talk about it."

Posted by .

It’s good to see that my fellow trad musicians are also my fellow geeks. :)

But Silver Spear, confession is supposed to be good for the soul.
And, to continue with the idea of confession……

Besides the local Star Trek conventions which were held once a year, I did some volunteering at the local science fiction convention which was also held once a year. Eventually, I quit volunteering to help the local science fiction convention because I felt unappreciated, under-appreciated, and taken for granted. Also, I wanted to spend more of my free time playing music.
I still like to read and watch science fiction when I am not pretending to be a musician.
Like SWFL Fiddler, I have given into the Dork side of the Farce as well.

I played uilleann pipes on one Next Generation episode.

What what cool about that show is that they did the music the old-fashioned (and very expensive) way: hire a full orchestra.

Most TV shows have synth scores because it’s so much cheaper: the composer is also the musician, and they only have to pay one guy.

It was funny, in a way, because they wanted hammer dulcimer for that show, and rather than hire an actual hammer dulcimer player (and there’s a very good one here, who can sightread quite well), they had one of the studio musicians play it. The person obviously wasn’t familiar with the instrument as they had bits of tape with various letters on them stuck all over so that the player could tell which strings played which notes.

I never actually saw that episode, but it looked like a hokey Irish theme.