trumpets in sessions

trumpets in sessions

can i turn up to a session with my trumpet?
After all Salsa Celtica have trumpets in the band.

Re: trumpets in sessions

Yeah that would be absolutely fine. The musos could use it as a novelty yard glass.

Of course you can. Just don’t play it. *grin*

If your a real good player of your instrument I think you get away playing with it in a session. Can you play the mason apron on a trumpet?

I’m sure it would work almost as well as the tuba, and it has the advantage of being much louder!

You wouldnt get away with it in any of the sessions I go to.

Posted by .

Actually glauber, if more people played tubas at sessions it would sure make those banjos sound better….

Come on now, you’re all being way to harsh. I’ve been to many a session where strumpets were very welcome….

Posted .

It’d at least make those banjos sound quieter, Greg… *snort*

Trumpets and tubas make better spittoons than banjos do. I wish someone would bring one to our session, because they keep missing my banjo!

In reply to banjomad, yes I can play the Mason’s Apron on my trumpet! But probably not as loud as you can on the banjo!

LOL….good post….LOL…..I wish someone would walk into our session with a trumpet because laughter is great medicine………we might let someone try one tune just for the comic aspect (and a good story!), but that would be about it.

I’m not falling for another wind-up….lol…..

I really do have to get some work done : )

Joyce

Posted by .

Sure! Can I bring my theremin, too?

You wudnt get a very good reception at the sessions i go 2. you wud be gating weird luks all nite!

Posted by .

Ros, I think Poxybox is only being humorous…..um….if not, then he/she(??) has gotten the message about brass instruments not fitting in so well with the traditional ones in Irish sessions….

I’m going to ask a dumb question….what the heck is a poxybox??

Joyce : )

Posted by .

There was a guy who used to come to our session with a tuba. Sometimes he played it too. Why should that be a problem? Mind you, come to think of it there was a guy used to play a soprano sax, and that was awful, until someone offered to put it where it would be out of the sun.

Dave

Joyce, I really don’t think you should ask! It looks like 16c medical terminology!
Trevor

Irish traditional music treats the tuba as essentially a rhythm instrument. A well played tuba can really add a solid punch and feel, translating right to the gut at a session. Sometimes ceiling clearances can be a problem, so the ideal height for an Irish traditional tuba player should be under six foot. Also, there’s a certain amount of clearance around a pub table needed to accomodate the girth of the instrument without displacing too many of those pesky fiddle players, so sessions must take place in a large enough pub or lose their tubist.

*snort*

Zina

So are you any good then poxybox?
I’m all for a few different sounds at the session from time to time.
Do you think they would appreciate your trumpet at your session?

Good one Trevor! Maybe Emily knows what a poxybox is since she works in the medical field….

Come on Poxybox, tell us a little something about yourself : )

Joyce

Posted by .

Re: strumpets in sessions

I think trombones in ITM sessions would be a nice idea. You can hook a banjo and yank it off the owner if they get annoying.
A mid-tune swordfight between the flute, the fiddle bow and the trombone might be interesting as well.

Yes, but the green guck on the floor would probably piss off the pub staff…

IF the banjo gets annoying? Surely you flatter us geoff…

What is a poxybox? It is exactly what it says it is; poxy= poor quality and box is….. nothing to do with cricket.

Can’t see a problem - there’s a bloke who lives over in Kent and plays in a band I think called Triality and he seems to get away with it. I wouldn’t fancy all those transpositions into Bb though.

While I wouldn’t welcome a trumpet at a session, I am not against them in other situations. Example: today I played an outside, street-festival type gig, and a friend of mine who grew up playing tin whistle and now plays trumpet joined me on a few tunes. He improvised Miles Davis-style over a few slow airs and some dance tunes as well. It was lovely and very tasteful.

Posted by .

Andee, you boggle my mind.

But glad you had a good experience.

Why do I boggle, ketida? Is it just this one instance about me that you find boggling? I am very serious about the tradition, but sometimes in life one has to be open to the moment. I know of some great players in town, but they did not approach me to play with me that day. My friend is a very sweet person and was excited to play with me, so I said what the heck, let’s try it and see. 🙂

Posted by .

I have seen the trombone played at sessions, by Rory McLeod. He used to play it at a really fantastic session that used to be held in the Carlton Bridge Tavern, West London, in the mid nineties. That was a special era… it wasn’t really an Irish session, though - there was some Eastern European stuff as well, and a bit of country blues and swing. It was started by some members of a band called Zumzeaux who were around at the time, including a top-notch guitarist called Frank Kilkelly and a Texan fiddle player called Neti Vaandrager. There was a stupendous American cellist called Stan used to turn up, and Elliet Mackrell, who’s a great fiddle player - she was with a band called Kangaroo Moon, some of you Aussies might have heard of. Vedran Smailovic was there a few times, the cellist who famously played on the bridge in Sarajevo during the siege, and a number of Bosnians were regulars. And all manner of other people who used to come along. Anyone else here remember that session? Obviously, it wasn’t at all a Trad Irish session, although lots of Irish tunes were played. So perhaps it was off the Session Radar…
And then it moved over the road to Angie’s Freehouse, and it got more Irish after that. I don’t think it’s still going now.

Posted by .

there

Poxybox, I guess we don’t really use the word poxy in the US. I looked it up in the dictionary (too much free time at work last Friday!!!). I found “pox” which means “a disease characterized by purulent skin eruptions”….

Have a nice day!

Posted by .

No problem here either - just make sure you have plenty of lubricant with you!

A trumpet might drown out my shakey egg…unless you allowed me to do a solo…..

hahhaha - nice call danny!

Posted by .

I was at a session at Bromyard Festival (UK) a few years ago when a guy walks in with a trombone case. There was a bit of grumbling and staring until he opened up the case and produced a concertina, a packet of sandwiches and a can of lager. Now that’s what I can style!

LOL – thanks for sharing that one, playbear, I’ll be telling it!