cleaning an accordion

cleaning an accordion

Hi guys,
Anyone know what is good for polishing the celluloid on an accordion and metal parts of the body like the grill and behind the keyboard. I think these are steel but dont want to do any damage. I’d be grateful of any suggestions,
Thanks in advance

Posted by .

Re: cleaning an accordion

Try pouring some Guinness into it hehe… I’ve seen that at bars..

Well, if you want to give it a try yourself I would carefully try Silvo - test it on a small area first - but your best bet would be to take it to a repair person. If the outside is tarnished the reeds probably need a good cleanup too, and that’s not something you would want to do yourself.

Our local repairer had the metal sound board re-chromed on my old Hohner and it looked wonderful, and was very easy to polish.

Silvo is something we have here in NZ. Not sure if you have it. It’s an ammonia based silver polish… I wouldn’t use it on a wooden accordion.

I used it (our Spanish equivalent ammonia based silver polish) and a dremel with a felt polishing wheel a week ago to clean the plated parts of my 80 years old banjo. It was a lot of work, but it looks great now.

I’ve used T-Cut and Brasso on celloloid. It depends on what you’re cleaning off - a mixture of tar, nicotine, spit, beer and crumbs seem to figure on some bad examples.

Cases like that I wash with meths before any serious attempts at getting a shine on it.

Posted by .

On teh celluloid, you shouldn’t need much more than water or a mild cleaner. I would stay away from anything with ammonia, particularly if you are going to hit metal parts. It can be corrosive. Brasso and the like are really pretty strong things. They actually will remove a small amount of the finish each time ou use it, and if whatever you are polishing is plated, you will start seeing base metal.

My trumpet player freinds with the ‘silver trumpets’ say to never use any sort of polish because it takes the finish off-they say they live with the fingerprints.

On the celluloid (assuming glorified plastic) or any finish, the bigger issue is the cloth, It should be what Herself calls a "soft cloth". Paper towel-even the real soft ones, will give you very fine scratching that will create a haze on the finish.

Some of the new acrylic finishes are even stranger and susceptable to the hazing if the cloth is coarse.

I was going to suggest using a flame thrower but then I realised that would be mean and decided against it.

I am rebuilding a "heap" G/D melodeon and am using Solvol Autosol on the chromium plated parts which works a treat - this box is very battered, God bless it.