No Shot Gun Caes, No Viola cases, Just an uilleann Pipe case

No Shot Gun Caes, No Viola cases, Just an uilleann Pipe case

Does anybody know where i can buy a SLIM uilleann pipe case - kinda of the same thing that John McSherry has in a photo on his website? I hate having every rattle about in my case and it weighs a tonne when i’m carrying it around Ireland and abroad for sessions. All the ones being sold on the internet appear to be too thick and bulky. Any ideas?

Dee

Re: No Shot Gun Caes, No Viola cases, Just an uilleann Pipe case

Also if anyone knows someone in Ireland or Britain who sells them that would be great - ive seen some guys online who make custom flight cases for anything but they don’t deliver outside the USA!!

I know a couple of pipers who, with succes, uses lightweight foam saxophone cases. They do not have regulators, though. Maybe that requires some extra space.

I’ve seen viola cases used for this purpose, with the viola-shaped guts removed, obviously. I also have seen highland bagpipe cases. I don’t know if these are heavier or lighter than the standard rifle case lots of uilleann pipers use.

I usually keep them in one of those horrid, heavy things that’s painful to carry around but for adventures like flying with Ryanair, I have a soft case that is long and thin and I think meant for a mountain dulcimer or other long and thin instrument. It has padding but not that much so not the most protective case in the world, but it weighs nothing and has a wee pocket fitting several whistles, hemp, extraneous reeds, tape etc. etc.

Another case that has been put to service to carry a full D set of uilleann pipes ~ a case shaped like and intended for a tenor banjo…

I heard a story about some guy who had a bunch of instruments, including fiddles, drums, and a full set of pipes in a tenor banjo case, in the boot of his car. The car was broken into and most of the instruments were stolen, with the exception of the banjo case.

Moral of the story: a tenor banjo case is the best security for your pipes as no one wants to steal a banjo!

I would also use some rubber insulated tubing over the chanter and the drones. Viola case works really well; several used here in So California.

Posted by .