Irish Music Club

Irish Music Club

Hello everyone.
I am currently a junior at a Fresno, California high school, as well as a tenor banjo-er. This Friday, the University High School Irish Music Club is meeting for the first time. I’ve been promoting it all week, and I’m expecting to have around 15 people show up. The problem is, only two of us have any real background in The Music (My fiddler friend and I are pretty active sessioners). What do you all think that I should plan for the first meeting to keep enthusiasm going?

Re: Irish Music Club

Give people 4 mp3s of tunes to memorize for next week - simple ones.
During the first meeting, play through them a few times slowly and
see if they can start to pick them up. Maybe play a couple of
commercial recordings for them in case they don’t have a concept of
what Trad music is like.

I guess you’ll have to put the mp3s on facebook or something.

I assume they can all play their instruments already?

Yes, everyone in the club can play an instrument. The problem is, none of them are very familiar with the trad style.
I’m hoping to get a couple of core people involved in sessions, also

Yeah - better play some recordings for them and point out
some utube videos to watch

Good luck with the club — great that you have 15 people interested already.
Hup had some good advice for the first meeting. I’d say to make it pretty low-key, not have too many expectations. Maybe go around the room at the beginning and have people talk — briefly — about their interest in Irish trad music and their experience with music in general. You’ll all get at least some sense of where you’ve come from and where you hope to go; might find some common threads to work from.
Another thought: Perhaps the club could serve as a basis for other semi-related activities, like attending concerts or festivals that feature Irish music. And maybe have a social occasion or two where the focus is as much — or more — on talking and getting to know one another as on playing music.

Posted by .

Just say ITM? Really? And that is supposed to be better than The Music. Very strange.

Posted by .

I don’t get it, karate wocky tocky. Good luck with your Bomb development, by the way (as if … )

What you call Traditional Irish Music or traditional Irish music is really a matter of choice and that choice has to take into consideration who you are talking to. If I am talking to someone who I play ITM with regularily I will say "are you up for some tunes?". They know full well what sort of music I am talking about. But if I am talking to someone with a non-musical background I will have to be a bit more explanatory.
ITM seems like a reasonably good abbreviation when typing here but there’s no reason not to talk about "The Music" if the context is right.

Good luck with your club. I think this is an excellent idea;

>>Perhaps the club could serve as a basis for other semi-related activities, like attending concerts or festivals that feature Irish music. And maybe have a social occasion or two where the focus is as much — or more — on talking and getting to know one another as on playing music.>.

I agree with Karate,’The Music’ sounds pretentious, in a semi-religious way. In the context of a site called the session, dedicated to Irish dance music, referring it to trad seems to be the simplest and most universal accepted term . ITM is OK. Diddly sounds slightly derogatory to me. just my 2e worth…

Funny how we all see things differenlty - ITM grates on my nerves, I hate it. I say tunes, or trad.

Posted by .