ipod’s for recording

ipod’s for recording

hello im looking to buy a good quality recorder any sugestion’s what about these i pod’s i seen one with a mike on it looked a good job
thank you

Posted by .

Re: ipod’s for recording

I have a lot of musician friends who use iPods to record tunes at sessions. I don’t have one myself, but there are a slew of musicians who use them.

I tried it with a Micromemo by XtremeMac. I did not like the quality of the recordings, there was a background noise like a whistling, or whatever that I found extremely annoying.

Maybe it was just my experience with my equipment?

Posted by .

I have a Micromemo, and have had no problems with it. Works great for me, maybe the one you used had a glitch? www.ilounge.com has several comprehensive reviews on the available recording devices for iPods. If you already have an iPod it’s a great way to go. If not, there are probably less expensive recording devices available.

I use a griffin iTalk. I set the quality to high so it records in stereo. I transfer into my Mac as a voice memo, convert it to an MP3 and store it in iTunes. I used to use a mini disc, but this is so much more convenient. And, it can take an external mic as well.

Works for what I need.

Posted by .

depends on whether you just want ‘any auld sound’ quality so that you just get the jist of a tune, or if you want a decent, high quality recording.
If it’s the latter, then an iPod isn’t the way to go - an iRiver H340 (if they are still available) are the dogs u-know-what. 🙂
Apart from excellent recording quality, it has 40GB for your albums/recordings, comes with an external mic, has a built-in mic (although I thnk the built-ins aren’t as good as the line-ins).
I’ve used it for recording sessions and rehearsals etc, and it really is good.
Plus - *you* have full control over the music stored on it….you don’t need software to communicate with the device, just plug-n-play, it’s just like dealing with any external hard-drive, as everything is stored in folders.

I also have an iAudio (again, software independent) and it also works on Mac or PC or Linux, but that only came with a built-in mic and I find the quality isn’t as good as the external mic on the iRiver. I use it for lessons, and it does the job - if I wanted a decent recording of a session to make into a CD for the car or whatever, then deffo I’d use the iRiver + external mic. the mic is tiny, so it’s deady handy to use and doesn’t need a stand or whatever…it can even clip on to clothes like a little TV mic.

Both devices are fine for recording Radio (built in radios on each), and also for converting tapes or old records over to digital, as they both have the line-in recording. Can also of course, plug into a sound desk at a gig.

If you didn’t want an MP3 player (i.e. basically you just something to record), then the Zoom H4’s are amazing sound quality, and come with software to split up the wav file if ye were recording constantly (so you can split the sets up into seperate tracks….cut out audience clapping etc….)

hth,
andy

sorry, just to add…. I’ve heard iPod recordings, and while they are ok, I thought they didn’t match up to the iRiver. I didn’t mean to slur Pods with an ‘any auld sound’ label. they are decent enough machines, but I prefer the software-independent approach, and to have a radio as well ;)

no offence intended to the proud owners of diddly-iPods 🙂

I uae a Boss Micro BR which is very good. Internal/external mike, multi track, editable… you name it.

Posted by .

I still use my trusty Mini Disc because it gives me the ability to edit and cut out the pauses and mistakes that you don’t want and join together two pieces of music etc. However it is less convenient if you need to transfer it to itunes.

Ipods for recording

Greengrocers’ apostrophes

Apostrophes used incorrectly to form plurals are known as greengrocers’ apostrophes (or grocers’ apostrophes, or sometimes humorously greengrocers apostrophe’s). The practice comes from the identical sound of the plural and possessive forms of most English nouns. It is often considered a form of hypercorrection coming from a widespread ignorance of the proper use of the apostrophe or of punctuation in general. Lynne Truss, author of Eats, Shoots & Leaves, points out that before the 19th century, it was standard orthography to use the apostrophe to form a plural of a foreign-sounding word that ended in a vowel (e.g., banana’s, folio’s, logo’s, quarto’s, pasta’s, ouzo’s) to clarify pronunciation. Truss says this usage is no longer considered proper in formal writing.

😉

A lot of people use the Zoom H2, and it works quite well.

I have a iTalk for my iPod, and it works OK, but you have to go in and manually set the gain to the low setting every time you want to record music (especially in a loud environment like a session), or it will clip and sound annoying. So that’s a drawback.

I also have a Creative Zen V3 that cost me about $35 or something. It has one button recording, and can take a stereo line in. Its built in microphone isn’t stereo, but it picks up instruments in a noisy session well, and won’t clip. That’s handy, but I don’t use it much.

If I need to grab a tune in a session, I’ll use a voice recorder on my phone, and that’s good enough to get the tune. But for the most part, I just have friends send me their settings of a tune, or teach it to me directly anymore…

I use the Edirol R-09. It’s well worth the investment. Send me an e-mail if you want more info.

An ipod with a Belkin TuneTalk… you can’t go wrong!

I have been using an Edirol R-09 for really brilliant sound recording quality and editing … if your looking to purchase a new ipod then the ipod touch is the one to get as it’s a brilliant tool for so many uses. I have just purchsed ipro recorder an application from the Apple that costs 0.59 pence. It has a recorduing time of 13 hours on a 32gb ipod. The sound quality is brilliant and files are uncompressed in WAV format. Works faultlessly with my apple laptop and the Amazing Slowdowner. - You do need a pair of headphones wih a mic attached for the ipod touch though … but not for the Apple iphone …. depends on what your needs are and how much you want to spend … but the recordings I have made with the ipod touch using this software are not far off the qulaity of the edirol.