My new flute has arrived

My new flute has arrived

How long would it take to “break it in”? I was playing an easy flute before.

It’s a fully keyed Glenn Watson black wood.

Wooo I’m so happy that it’s ready.

Re: My new flute has arrived

Congrats!! I know how that feels, I got my Ormiston in the end of August.

Ormiston’s notes on flute care say about the ‘breaking in’ period:

“Ten minutes at a time for the first week, 20 minutes for the second week and 30 minutes at a time for the third week. This may be repeated a number of times each day, but the flute should be allowed to ‘rest’ in between these periods of playing.”

But I think more patience and tears is spent on getting used to the keys, than on the frustration of the ‘playing in’ period. Patience and loads of practice is all I can recommend (to myself as well..)

Posted by .

Good stuff, flauta.

Hope you enjoy it. Can’t see how you could make a nicer sound on it, though. The sound you were *already* making was totally gorgeous! I look forward to hearing you play it. Don’t suppose you’ve now got a flute that’s surplus to requirements, have you? 🙂

[Oh, and btw, See? I made it back in one piece to Dub. Ha! OK, X had to drag me half the way … though she was kind enough to say she didn’t.]

Wow, I’ve just gotten a 6-keyed G. Watson flute: it’s easy playable and light, with a nice sound… you’ve only to practice a lot! 🙂

Wow ! Good luck with it and many, many happy hours with great music!

Second the mcGee’s advice.

Have fun with the flute.

Good luck!

Enjoying my relatively new Martin Doyle keyless. Very slowly getting the breathing better - that was/is my first and biggest hurdle.

Max

Posted by .

thanks for the feedback, i should have added that i’m not a beginner to the flute, just new to the type of flute i’m going to be playing.

btw Benhall, i knew you could get back to dub in 1 piece.

Though i reckon you were “good value for money” in the pub downing your pints of plain in Dublin (getting merry with 1 or 2 pints, rather than the usual 5 or 6) owing to your “trip” back with aideen.

Keep well.

Why do some musicians think that if they buy a new instrument they will suddenly turn into Matt Molloy, or whoever. There is no such thing as a flute that’s ‘easy’ to play.

mariaphilmurphy, from my message above, I never implied i would turn into a Matt Molloy (or whoever) after buying a new flute.

I approached Glenn as i played one of his flutes for 6 months before purchasing it and i was extremely happy with it.

Also, Christmas has come early for me as I have always wanted a Rudall&Rose model flute.