Aisling

Aisling

Anyone familiar with the Pogues or Shane MacGowan song ‘Aisling’?

There’s a really lovely tune stuck in there and I’m wondering whether anyone knows it? He also uses the same tune in another song, ‘Rake at the Gates of Hell,’ but that title sure didn’t get any hits in the tune search.

I should be able to work it out on the whistle myself, but it’ll take me a bit of time, so just wondering if anyone has an idea about it.

Re: Aisling

Christy Moore recorded this song on Smoke and Strong Whiskey, and very nice it is too. There’s an instrumental break and/or ending to the song which I assume is the tune you’re referring to, played on accordeon. It doesn’t have a separate name on the album as I recall. Annoyingly, I have it only on vinyl which I can’t currently play. I could be wrong but I think Shane penned the song with Christy in mind.

I’ll have to check that version, the one I know is either Pogues or Popes and seems to have a pretty standard, two-part trad tune laced throughout.

You should be able to work it out on the whistle yourself.

Sure … what’s the rush?

Posted .

that’s what i’ll do…then i’ll post it here as Rake At the Gates of Hell, which would be my favorite name i’ve heard of yet.

favorite tune name must already be a thread somewhere…