Badhraic Ó Bámaigh

Badhraic Ó Bámaigh

Well, seeing as there’s no-one as Irish as Barack Obama (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EADUQWKoVek), shouldn’t we start spelling his name as it should be spelt? We don’t need all this Anglicisation!

I don’t know Irish properly, I only know what I’ve picked up from seeing names like Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh, and hearing them spoken.
Did I get it right??
:-)

Re: Badhraic Ó Bámaigh

That’s great!

The tune has a township feel; I expect There’s No-one As Irish As Nelson Mandela before long.

Old O’Bamaigh as a military strategist is also well know for having invented a type of accomodation for military personnel, to which he gave an old family name. This term, through the passage of time gained an extra "r" in its speling, and is now commonly used in the plural.

Glad to have that clarified, KML —

I had been laboring under the misapprehension that Barack was a bastardization of "Brock", as in:

brock (brŏk)

n. Chiefly British.
A badger.

Badgers are of the weasel family, are they not?

Oops…

Posted by .

Actually, his High School classmates knew him - not as Barack - but as Barry. No need for a stretch here, as the Irish connection of the Barry name is readily apparant.

According to his father (in all formality) it’s
‘Barack ebin Hussein ebin al Obama’.

J.

"Al Obama" might not be something you want to emphasise, as it appears to show partiality to one particular state.