Joe Madden (Galway, New York) RIP

Joe Madden (Galway, New York) RIP

We have lost another musical icon. Our dear friend Joe Madden has passed on. He was a great accordion player from Galway and influenced many of the best traditional musicians in the New York area down through the years.

Joe suffered serious damage to his spinal cord in a fall at his home last weekend. After major surgeries to try to stabilize his condition, he was removed from life support this evening (Friday) and passed away.

He will be terribly missed by his wife Helen, his daughter Joanie and her six siblings, as well as all of those whom he befriended through his music.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

Re: Joe Madden (Galway, New York) RIP

I had a chance to speak with Joe this summer. He was a gracious man who loved his music and his heritage. My thoughts are with his family. A true loss to the music.

his swing, his thundering energy and his sheer life force electrified a session i attended at the wayfarer inn during irish arts week in the catskills this summer. god bless his family….

OH!! And my thoughts to Joannie and her brothers/sisters

Posted by .

That is sad news to hear. Jim Coogan last year and now Joe.

Time to reflect.

My sympathies to Joanie and her family.

Thanks for the youtube link Martin Donohoe, it’s almost like knowing him.
We should really get a campaign going to get all of our senior players up in the public domain before they too shuffle off.
Make that "we two shuffle off"

No, sorry, make that "we also shuffle off"

My thoughts and prayers to the Madden family as well.

My sympathies and prayers go out to all the Maddens.