“The Tinkermans Daughter ” - Sigerson Clifford

“The Tinkermans Daughter ” - Sigerson Clifford

I have been searching on the internet recently for the air of the song, "The Tinkerman’s Daughter" by Sigerson Clifford. I live in Cahirciveen and asked a few local musicians I play with if they know anywhere I could find the sheet music for it but no-one could help. I have the words but I cant seem to be able to find the tune.

Does anyone know where I might find the tune written down anywhere?

Re: “The Tinkermans Daughter ” - Sigerson Clifford

Ask llig leachim

don’t know if it is any help, but "The Border Collies" album (called ‘unleashed!’) has it…track 13. Of course, the sheet music isn’t there, but you’ll hear the air of it and that might help.

Colm O’Donnell is the singer on that CD.

hth,
andy

Brendan Begley recording on Good night yet or Tim Denehy
Between the mountains and the sea - best versions.

Who’s Sigerson Clifford ? "The song "The Tinkerman’s Daughter" I’m familiar with was written by Mickey McConnell, Cathal’s brother, as far as I know. Maybe that’s wrong, or am I thinking of a different song? The "Tinkerman’s Daughter" I’ve heard was sung and recorded brilliantly by Niamh Parsons. I’ve always thought it would make a great slow-air.

Posted by .

A friend of mine sings it, learned it from Tim Dennehey, whose recorded version would be a good source. As I recollect, the Niamh Parsons version uses the same tune, so that would work as well.

Does it start with ‘Are you the tinker’s daughter as I took you for to be?’ If so, my band plays that song, and I may be able to help.

Different song from the one I - and some of the others above - was thinking about. Here’s the first verse of the song attributed to Mickey McConnell :

"The small birds were lining the bleak autumn branches
Preparing to fly to a far sunny shore,
When the tinkers made camp at a bend in the river
Returning from the horse fair in Ballinsloe.
Now the harvest being o’er, the farmer went walkin’
Along the Faele River that borders his land,
And ‘twas there he first saw her ‘twixt firelight and water,
The tinkerman’s daughter, the redheaded Ann".

It would seem there are at least 2 songs with that title - is it either one of these you’re looking for, Marian ?

Posted by .

When rooks ripped home at even tide
and trees pegged shadows to the ground
the tinkers came to callan bridge
and camped beside a famine mound…etc
Sigerson clifford

Niamh Parsons always introduces the song as by Sigerson Clifford.

As I understand it, Sigerson Clifford wrote the original song and his words are available on the net.
Mickey McConnell liked the story but wrote his own version which is shorter.
In the Clifford version the farmer meets the red headed Ann again just as she dies giving birth to a child.

Posted by .

Mickey McConnell wrote the commonly sung recent short version. Sigerson Clifford wrote a long 40 verse+ poem which is available I think in a book called The Irish Reciter which I don’t have to hand to check. I have never heard this version sung.

Sigerson Clifford originally wrote the poem (it’s based on the area around Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry). I could just listen to the song and learn it by ear but I would really like to find the sheet music!