Kwela/Pennywhistle Jive Resources?

Re: Kwela/Pennywhistle Jive Resources?

I agree - I like what I’ve heard of that stuff. Tin whistle traditions outside Irish / UK trad, or stuff directly influenced by this since the 50s or so, are fairly unusual as far as I can see.

Because this is a celtic music site, there probably are not many people here who are kwela-fied to respond.

(You might have better luck e-mailing the site contacts for the two that you have already identifed, or the South African embassy/consulate near you.)

The composition link in the earlier comment no longer works, but this thesis, http://researchspace.ukzn.ac.za/bitstream/handle/10413/9106/Allen_Lara_V_1993.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y contains a wealth of information on the music, its history and structure, as well as a detailed analysis of the economic, social, and political conditions that affected the music and the musicians. There are details on instrument modification and playing technique essential to get the desired sound for the genre, and one of the appendices contains full transcriptions of selected pieces.

Posted by .

That’s some solid work there Arly, nice one.