Good tuner and strings?

Good tuner and strings?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good electronic tuner for tuning my fiddle? I’ve had 2 different ones and they have stopped working reliably now (have checked batteries ;) )

Also, I’m looking for a new set of strings (of the steel variety). I’ve been using synthetic core (evah pirrazi) lately and fancy a change and have not had steel strings since my first fiddle, which came with some on it.

Thanks

Jake

Posted by .

Re: Good tuner and strings?

its a good question, i want a recommendation myself.

i’ve been thinking about this
i recently saw a certain mr rooney using one of these for his fiddle at a london session.
http://www.hobgoblin.co.uk/local/GR0739-p-Intelli-Clipon-Chromatic-Tuner-page.htm

i have a boss tuner, a fishman pickup tuner, and a tuner in my zoom recorder, none of them are up to the mark.

of course it could be my ears

I use Helicores and a Prim E-string, all heavy tension. One day my fiddle will probably explode, but until then, it’ll sound awesome.

--DtM

Put “UK Clip-on Digital Chromatic Tuner Guitar Bass Violin” in ebay search. 10 pounds including postage. Yellow scale if flat, red if sharp and green when spot on. Clip or microphone.
Works fine, same battery for quite a few months used a fair bit.

A fully featured organic tuner has been available for some time.

sloth, the ONLY tuner to do the job, apart from your ears, is the Peterson strobe tuner. at about 200 bucks it dont come cheap! but for electric gigs and that when you cant actually here your fiddle properly then it is reliable. Perfect 5th’s and about 30times more accurate than a cheap EQ tuner.It works. I can rely on it.

lazyhound… 🙂

rumpole, its not your ears. EQ is not suitable for the fiddle. PETERSON all the way.

The Intelli IMT 301 is a nice reliable tuner/metronome. It has the meter as well as tones which is good for your ear training. Also the Metronome doesn’t sound tinny.

As for strings, you might try Larsen in the light blue pack. I think they are a little warmer than helicore and are a little thicker so feel better under the fingers for me.

Clayton

I recommend one of those little Intelli/Tune Tech clip on tuners for about $20. The little black five-sided ones. They’re great and pretty much every string player I know has one now.

We have a Casio keyboard in our home which we transport back and forth from Canada to Florida and this provides me with what ever tuning of my fiddle that is required. My wife has a very sensitive ear and can distinguish between a note exactly on key and one that may be ever so slightly off key. This makes me amazed since I do practice at least 2 hrs per day and I can truthfully say that I have not had to turn a tuning peg on my fiddle since early last summer. The strings that I have are the basic Prelude Violin strings which cost me $19.95 Cdn about 2-1/2years ago. Now since I do not play that well, that I consider that I should consider a better quality string, these strings do serve my purpose of providing enjoyment for our leisure hours when the wife and I sit down for a session of playing for our own satisfaction.

cheers for your help

Jake

Posted by .

Intellitunes are awesome.

I recommend Jargar strings, or possibly Prims, if you really want that steel sound. Or I reckon you could pry some wares out of a screen door.

I have an intellituner and often it doesn’t pick up on the D string and it pops off mid tune. Is it just me, or does anyone else have this problem?

I still have little Korg tuner I bought 30 years ago - it will not die but
you have to hold it up next to the fiddle - no good in a noisy environment.

However, in a session I tune my A to match our main fiddle player and
adjust the fifths - I don’t use the tuner.

If you’re trying to play well with other people the thing to do is get in
tune with them rather than tuning to some abstract standard. Unless you
are the leader - that’s different

This two-part video by Todd Ehle explains in detail the skills involved in tuning a fiddle efficiently from the pegs - important and useful skills to acquire if you use strings that don’t need micrometer adjusters or, if they’re gut, can’t effectively be tuned other than from the pegs.

Part 1: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GISBVIWTOS4&feature=related

Part 2: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf4r7nsRFjE&feature=related

Good one lazyhound - I haven’t seen an explanation like that before,
being “teacherless”

Go for an IntelliTuner.
I have yet found an instrument you can’t tune with it - provided you can clip it on so it can sense the vibrations.
Sometimes it fails to “hear” a particular note - this is usually down to one of two things (1) battery is about to go/low power
(2) Clip the tuner to a slightly different area of the head(usually) - just slide it about slightly and it suddenly “hears” the note.
They are great in pubs/session/stage - you can tune when there is sonically chaos around you and they arev not affected.
Also the dull red backlight is perfect for all the dark stages/sessions/pubs !!
I have had one for years since I bought it in USA before they were imported into the UK.
Since I brought mine too a session EVERY stringed instrument player has bought one!