Folktrax Recordings

Folktrax Recordings

Might anyone be able to direct me to a source for the field recordings made by Peter Kennedy et al for his Folktrax label? I understand the label and the organisation have fallen fallow since Mr. Kennedy himself "went out of print" in 2006. In any event the website fails to load in my browser…

In particular I am looking for a copy of the 1953 Folktrax 170 recording of Donegal fiddler Neilidh Boyle. From what I’ve read on the relevant "Recording" post on this site, the circumstances of this recording could hardly have been more bizarre: "…because the house had no road access, Peter needed to use nearly half a mile of microphone cable in order to operate his tape machine from the car batteries, using the car horn as a signal."

This particular recording, and the story of the musician it preserves, is of unique interest to me for the admittedly prosaic reason that Neil "Neilidh" Boyle was born about an hour’s drive from my own home, in Easton, Pennsylvania in 1889. After the holidays have concluded I would like to devote some energy toward exploring this enigmatic character from my home state.

I will divulge that my discovery of Boyle’s birthplace (and his mystical connection with the ‘faeries’) revived in me a sense of the cosmic "Synchronicity" that Robert Anton Wilson, among others, advocates as an explanation for phenomena including déjà vu and serendipity. My own connection with this story comes by way of the air "An Cailín Deas Crúite Na MBó", or "The Pretty Maid Milking Her Cow".

Many thanks in advance for any insight and assistance you may be able to provide!

Posted .

Re: Folktrax Recordings

The rights to all of Peter Kennedy’s field recordings are now owned by the Topic label which is currently in the midst of producing a multi-disc compilation of these to rival its ‘Voice of the People’ series.

Posted by .

Abc tunes

since I am new, I can’t find how to start a thread.

But I have searched for abc tunes here and most are wrong or written wrong.

Isn’t there some way that you people can check what you have written so it sound even close to the original tune?

What is the point of posting the wrong tune with the wrong name? Is it ego to say you did something? Doing it wrong is not anything to brag about.

I have looked for 30-40 tunes on here and 90 percent are flat out wrong. How does that help in any session that is trying to learn a tune?

I don’t expect a reply, this site seems pretty dead, But will someone please start to get rid of the junk that is being posted as tunes?

Look on the right side of the screen, under your user name is a link that says: ‘Start a Discussion’. That’s what you’re looking for Southerntear.

Sorry, ‘Submit a Discussion’…

I’ve got a set of archive recordings of Neilidh Boyle, though I’m not sure where they’re from. It’s a bootleg a friend of mine gave me. I’ve emailed him for some more information, so if he gets back to me I’ll let you know.

One of Peter Kennedy’s recordings was of Neilidh Boyle, a kick too, as he goes on about ‘jungle music’, or some such harangue. It is a favourite recording but, alas, I haven’t it here at the moment…

Southerntear’s interjection has been moved here:

Discussion: Abc tunes
# Posted on December 13th 2008 by Southerntear
https://thesession.org/members/52154

Plop, plop, fizz, fizzzzzz…

It seems like a fair yet harsh comment…

I should have also mentioned that all of Peter Kennedy’s recordings are held by the National Sound Archive, part of the British Library in London - http://www.bl.uk/.

Posted by .

Thanks for the responses. Good on ye

Posted .

Re: Folktrax Recordings.

Happy Days! Some of the Folktrax recordings are now available again, from some folks in County Wexford.

From the Scallta Media website: “In February 2008, Scallta Media acquired the renowned Ulstersongs catalogue from John Moulden.”

Here’s the link: http://www.scallta.com/ulstersongs/