Olympus DS 50

Olympus DS 50

My dear, long suffering, non playing young lady would like to get me one for Christmass. I am quite taken with the idea of one, it being slim, good looking and functional (the opposite of me!)

Just wondering if anyone has one and whether they agree?

Have looked at the archive and most discusion seems to be on the H2/H4 or Edirol.

Loads of memory, but is the sound ok?

Thanks.

Re: Olympus DS 50

Sound on the H4 is awesome! Not sure about the DS 50 tho.

I have the Olympus DM 20-several years old, but well pleased with the sound quality. I bought the stereo mike for it and have recorded sessions, and gigs alike and for a tiny recorder, the sound is astounding.

Think the H4 is too pricey, and as my young lads who help me work my phone, laptop and dvd are not old enough to come to the pub, it might have too much technology that I cant use.

Thanks Rogfox, really like the size of the DS, I have a minidisk and mike but its a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to get it into the fiddle case. Hoping the DS has good enough sound and is small enough to pack better. Also want an easier way to put the stuff into the computer.

I think that I read somewhere that there is also a slow down function retains the pitch?

Pricey??? The DS 50 lists at $299 and I know you can get the H4 for $250 (what I paid over a year ago). The DS 50 does look very cool, but I see no mention of multi-track recording or even whether or not it records music faithfully. It just seems to be a high-end voice recorder.

The DM 20 description did not list music recording as a main feature when I bought it. I just wanted something that would let me record sessions so I could learn some new tunes and easily transfer to my computer.

The fact that it happened to have great music recording capabilities was a bonus.

It does have slow down functions w/o changing pitch, lets you add comments, sort into different folders, and equalization. The built in speaker is little better than a tin can, but play back on my external sound system or headphones is pretty amazing for the price.

Hi plunk - here in the UK the H4 is £219, the DS50 is £119 - not sure why that is. I think that the H4 has many features that I would not use, not sure if the sound quality is worth the extra £100?

Thanks rogfox, think I will have to put my letter up the chimney. Hope its not too late!

Steve.

clunk999, if it’s just for recording sessions at the pub and putting into a computer etc, probably most things would be fine. I would even forego a manual record level control because for a pub session, you probably want to catch everything possible, without fiddling around with the equipment.

For high-quality stuff your machine may /may not be so good, but that may / may not matter!! Just a thought if you get bitten by the recording bug and want to do more high-quality stuff.

Have a look at the Olympus LS-10. A bit more expensive but really fantastic sound capture and easy to use. And small!

I got the LS-10 recently and I’m happy with it. Don’t expect too much from the on-board speaker but the audio capture quality is very good and the size great for taking to sessions. the batteries last a long time and with a 16GB card that I added, I can record for a long time.

Avi

I have an Olympus DS-30 — similar to the DS-50, but less memory and less expensive (the DS-30 is now under $100 on Amazon (U.S.). If your main interest is in grabbing session tunes for learning purposes, this is a great little device. It’s small — fits in a shirt pocket — and startup is quick. Slow-down is built-in, and transfer to a computer (in WMA format) is easy.

It doesn’t have the sound quality of the Zooms and the like, but it’s quite good enough for learning purposes.

I recommend two accessories: (1) the Olympus case, which provides just enough protection should you drop it; (2) a small extension cable (available from electronics shops like Radio Shack) to separate the mic from the body—having that will allow you to turn it on and off without recording the noise of you fumbling with the switches.

clunk
have a look at the TASCAM line of recorders….they do what the Edirol does but for a lot less money. also have loop, slow down and pitch control functions. no built in speaker but that’s easily solved with a Belkin plug in the mic mini speaker or some such if you need…otherwise just plug it into some portable mini computer speakers.

Better than cd sound quality….as is the Edirol.

I have a DS 30 also…it is easy to use and the sound quality is ok…I have also used a Sony minidisc and while the quality of the md is a bit superior, the ease of use in the DS 30 is the one I go for all the time. The price is right, too. I paid about $80.00, if I remember correctly.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I think that I am prepared to sacrifice some sound quality for ease of use, and she who should be obeyed has not sanctioned an increase in my budget.

So will plumb for the DS 50, will post a review on this discussion (for archive) when my lads have shown me how it works.

clunk
I forgot to add…I own a Sony digital recorder…it’s the SX model…two years old now so I’m sure there’s a new version….like the Olympus it’s excellent in terms of battery friendliness and has an HQ setting which gives you quite decent [stereo] sound. it’s comes with software of course to let you organize files and burn to cd etc. The sound is pretty good and it has a background filter on the built in stereo mics [2 of them] that supresses background noise and works great in noisy pubs etc. Even on highest quality setting you can get 5-6 hours of recording time. More than you need really. But it isn’t of same sound quality as those Tascam or Edirol units. Still pretty good tho. Two years ago they were about $250 Canadian….probably less now.
Oh, the Sony stuff is quite good in terms of buttons making sense etc. And a nice LCD display that’s easy for old eyes to read. something to consider? :)

Ooh ma hied - just as well nothing happening at work and I can google away!

Thanks.

actually the DS50 looks great now i’ve had a look at it.
good frequency response and a wee speaker. you’re right as rain.

What does the frequency response mean?

Hope thats not like asking "do you play the wild rover?"

;)

It means the span of frequencies, from low to high, that the thing can record and play back without significant loss of, let’s say, volume level.

Thanks Bob.

Been using it for a while and thought I would post an update.
Initially I was really disappointed with it - the sound was nowhere near as good as the mini disk. BUT - the memory is just amazing - I have not deleted anything on it yet, and still had room to record every workshop that I went to at NAFCO (north Atlantic fiddle convention) think that was 14 workshops.
With headphones on it is easy to go back over the whole workshop.
It is also much smaller and easy to pack, with its tiny microphone and no need for spare disks. The batteries also seem to last a long time, only just replaced the ones that I put in in December.
Not sure yet how to get the stuff on to the computer or to put in marks but that’s prob more to do with the user not the thing itself.