tune bits floating in the head

tune bits floating in the head

I’m sure you’re all familiar with the experience of a loose bit of a tune that keeps coming back to haunt you. It gets so persistent that you want very badly to play that tune right then, even if, at the time it comes nagging, you are in the middle of something completely unrelated and often "more important". This is particularly bothersome when the bit comes by without the rest of the tune or the name coming along to help you identify it and makes the desire to play the tune more urgent for fear the bit might decide to wander off causing you to loose the tune completely.

I assume this is all a natural part of our shared mental disorder (you know, the one that causes us to gather in small groups and create sound patterns on very complicated expensive devices that serve no other purpose than to create sound patterns), but I do wish there was some way to be better at identifying that stray bit.

So, what do you do? Do you jot down the bit on a scrap of paper when no one is looking. Do you start humming it ‘til the rest of the tune catches up in your head (and do this often enough that those around you are immune)? Or, do you plead a potty break, dash off to find you instrument from wherever you have it stashed and hide in a corner noodling ‘til the tune comes back to you?

On another note, for the last few days I’ve had the beginning of a very happy reel in D singing in my head. Can’t for the life of me find the name or the second part. Any ideas? The first part is something like…

dB|AF3 G2FE|DFAd fgfe|dB3 gBdB|AFDF E2dB|AF3 G2FE|DFAd fgfe|dB3 AFDF|EDCE D2:|

Re: tune bits floating in the head

I’ve had that experience several times.. I hate it. I usually will do one of all of the above…

And that tune bit sounds really familiar, but I can’t think of the name..

You’ve pretty much described my daily life, fiddleK. Glad to know I’m not the only one!
And same as JosephofCK; I swear I know that tune but at the same time I don’t, and now it’s become one of those tune bits that will be stuck in my head throughout the day *sigh*!

I just start practising and playing it, dropping whatever I was playing before. Nobody notices.

Thanks crazy_fingerz, but unfortunately that’s not it. I did all the usual searches, but couldn’t find it myself.

Doggerel floating in the head - my apologies

I chew my food in time to a tune in my head.
If I walk I walk in time to the tune.
If I pedal my bike the pedals turn
In time to a tune in my head.
It may be like this until I am dead.
Like Mozart walking the streets of Vienna,
Scarlatti over the hills of Sienna,
There’s always an air
in the hair in my ear,
Crying, release me, do.
Oh! Set me free.

Awake or sleeping,
Laughing or weeping,
Sometimes fast and sometimes slow:
A curse or a blessing I’d like to know.

Yes, fiddleK, I am more familiar with this problem than I want to be. I usually have to exorcise the tune or the piece of a tune from my head by playing it on my piano.
I wouldn’t be so sure that myself and you and the rest of the people who participate in this web site are suffering from a mental disorder which you described so accurately.
We may actually be the sane ones.
The people who are insane and are suffering from a mental disorder might be the ones who don’t gather in small groups and try to create sound patterns on complicated and expensive devices that serve no other purpose than to create said sound patterns.

This even happens during sleep or when I’m waking up. Sometimes, I’m not sure if these tunes are originals or if I’m channeling parts of something that I’ve heard somewhere. Ocassionally, I will note it out or take it to a session and ask someone it they know what it is. Apparently, I also did this as a very young child. My maternal grandmother used to tell me that sometimes I communicated with pieces of songs when I was about three or four years old. I believe we are blessed with this gift of music sensitivity.

This is a good tune bit. I cannot believe it is left to go unrecognized.
I hope some will grab it before going off to sessions for the weekend. It deserves a B part at least. I’ve made some up & even tagged on a few on other reels. No nyah!
One possibility, most likely would result in a severe trainwreck … but would anyone be willing to leadoff in hopes it doesn’t grind to a halt at the B part?

Posted by .

This is why I wish someone would begin a spinoff website.
A synthesis of thesession&SoundLantern >> www.tradtunes.org

Posted by .

Random, If you want to put up a new site like that, I’ll happily visit it.

It has now been about a week and that tune is still haunting me. I have a friend in town that I’ll see in a session tomorrow. I think he may know the tune. If he doesn’t have it, I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’m to the point of begging. Please, if anyone knows this tune, please pass on the B part. If I don’t find it soon I may lose the last trace of sanity that I have.

That phenomenon of the tune that won’t go away is called an "ear worm" in German.

1 A part ~ no B

thanks for posting this fiddleK. We may never know more than the 1st part. I’ll keep playing the bit until more of the tune is fleshed out.

Posted by .

I’m enjoying reading "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sachs. He talks about music in our brains and all our different sensibilities. You’re not insane, just specially wired.

Posted by .

I’m reading Musicophilia too. It’s very interesting, but I found whilst I read the beginning part about earworms, I became annoyingly concious of all the tunes that buzz through my head during the day. I discovered that my brain is rarely silent…is anyone elses like that??

"You’re not insane, just specially wired."

No, I think actually I’m insane.