Best flute - fiddle albums of 2008 - comments anyone?

Best flute - fiddle albums of 2008 - comments anyone?

I was hoping for your comments in light of the fact it is almost the end of 2008.

Happy New Year all!

Re: Best flute - fiddle albums of 2008 - comments anyone?

The CD reissue of “Traditional Music of Ireland” by Conor Tully and Paddy Carty (see https://thesession.org/recordings/1547). Great tunes and beautiful playing.

Posted by .

I’ll say again, “Pride of the West” John Wynne & John McEvoy, and “Flame on the Banks” by Maeve Donnelly…

Go along with the Fidil nomination too…

I will wholly support Fidil as the best album of the year (I honestly think it’s some of the best duo work since Kitty Lie Over), but…wasn’t this supposed to be flute/fiddle albums, or did I misread?

--DtM

Brendan Mulholland, with Brendan Hendry and Paul McSherry.

Excellent album.

Sorry, if it’s flute and fiddle duet albums you mean, John Blake, Lamond Gillespie, Mick Leahy’s “Humours of Highgate” is the one: http://www.myspace.com/humoursofhighgate

Just as good as “Traditional Irish Music from London”. I’ve been listening to the recording for more than 6 months or so, but I never grow sick of it. Lovely old-fashioned music.

Was “The Pride of West” released this year? I thought it was last year.

you are right, slainte, pride of the west was released in 2007.

Frank Brunell and Vincent Rosinach: “The Friendly Visit.” I’ve been trying to find a track list so I can post the CD on the recordings forum. Pure flute and fiddle with no accompaniment, in a very relaxed East Clare style. Lovely playing, this CD is a real treat. Most reminiscent of the old 1950s classic by Sean Ryan & P.J. Maloney, on the Avoca label.

You can get an idea of it here:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=429052738

I’ll throw up Seanchairde by Tara and Dermy Diamond backed by Daithi Sproule, a last minute thing as 2008 goes but a sure winner

Posted .

AAH - I see,-- they must have been practising-- the three played extremely well together last night --
Any link to the hew album?

Posted by .

i live in the usa, and am wondering how i can purchase a copy of the cd of Frank Brunell and Vincent Rosinach: “The Friendly Visit.”

thanks,

Custy’s has it. Or if you PM me I’ll give you Frank’s e-mail

Posted .

Tuned Up the album by Brendan Hendry,Paul McSherry and Brendan Mulholland for me has the edge on all other fiddle and flute album,s and awarded by Live Ireland the instrumental album of the year 2008.