Favourite youtube tunes

Favourite youtube tunes

I have a number of tunes bookmarrked, and my favourite of them all was Joe Cooley playing The Wise Maid. Imagine my feelings when I logged onto it lately and got the following message: “This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by RTE”. Two discussion topics at least arise from this. one: what the @*&%$ will RTE do with this now? How does it benefit them or the music to impose a copyright claim on such a piece of true folk heritage? And two, what are other members’ favourite youtube bookmarked pieces of ITM?

Re: Favourite youtube tunes

I don’t know that particular video, but if it was from an RTE broadcast or recorded by RTE, then I imagine they would have a case. If it was a recording made in a pub session or gig, then I find it difficult to understand RTE’s interest - unless JC was under permanent contract to RTE at the time, which seems very unlikely, but theoretically possible.
Hint - see if it’s squirelled away in Google’s archives.

I have a copy squirrelled away in my archives macbox. I could email you it if you like. Its an MPEG4 - plays in quicktime. 2.4MB.

(Dont tell RTE tho!!)

Its a shame its not on youtube any more because I regularly tell people about it at our gigs and encourage them to look it up to see the great Joe Cooley in action.

I’ve never understood this. Why would any artist mind themselves being uploaded onto YouTube and why would RTE mind. There is no financial gain from the uploader or the viewer so no casualties right? I have came accross artists on YouTube that i probably would never of heard of before and ended up buying some of their music from I-Tunes so it’s a great tool for promoting. Personally i would be flattered if i came accross a video of myself that some one else had uploaded and seen that it had thousands of hits and nice comments (not always the case) Don’t get me wrong there is a difference from uploading other people’s content and then blatently copying a film or music CD which i don’t approve of. Well that’s just my take on it.
Oh and macbox i’ve got soooo many favourites bookmarked the ones i like are the Tony MacMahon one and Charlie Lennon’s Jigs= Fab

Macbox, the Joe Cooley track is included in the RTÉ DVD ‘Come West Along the Road’, issued in 2005 and still commercially available. Whoever posted the clip on Youtube was in breach of copyright and Youtube was equally in such breach by hosting it.

Posted by .

Somebody is making money, or expects to make money at some point--otherwise YouTube wouldn’t exist. Same goes for the producers of movies, video, and TV programs. (Sure, there are some produced for charitable purposes--but copyright law still applies.)

RTE, or whoever, invests money to create a program. Copyright law says they own it, and have the right to a share of any money generated by it. If you make a video of yourself playing, you own it, and can do whatever you like with it.

Some copyright holders (apparently) decide that unauthorized YouTube clips are good advertising, and allow it. Others don’t. I suppose if you don’t like that, you could write the copyright holder about it. Public opinion is important to media companies, so if enough people did that, it might make a difference.

My favorite, lately, would have to be the one of John McSherry playing “Doinna.” Some might consider it trazzy, but to me it’s pure magic.

BTW, I highly recommend getting that Come West Along The Road DVD (there’s actually 2 of them now). There’s a ton of great music on them, many tracks of which were posted here as links to YouTube before they were taken down (the first time, it appears as though people are putting them up again). Both the sound and video quality are going to be better on the DVDs, and you can get them cheap these days (the first one is anywhere from $8-$13 on Amazon, for instance).

*RTE, or whoever, invests money to create a program. Copyright law says they own it, and have the right to a share of any money generated by it. If you make a video of yourself playing, you own it, and can do whatever you like with it.

Sure, this is easy to understand, but there are grey areas too:

Were the original musicians paid? Who profits from these reissues? And if those involved in a recording are passed on, that’s another thing too. And these are broadcast free to air - anyone can record them (as I do), so if there are some clips on Youtube, is there really any damage done to RTE?????

I say this as someone who has recorded a few times on a casual basis for them, never signed anything, never got a red cent, have no idea where the recordings ended up. Now I was young at the time (and also am terrible at sorting out commercial side of things), so I’m not griping at RTE etc or suggesting they rip anyone off. I’m just thinking that this is not as black and white as it might seem to be.

Of course there are gray areas. The lawyers wouldn’t have it any other way. 🙂

"Sure, this is easy to understand, but there are grey areas too:

Were the original musicians paid? Who profits from these reissues? And if those involved in a recording are passed on, that’s another thing too. And these are broadcast free to air - anyone can record them (as I do), so if there are some clips on Youtube, is there really any damage done to RTE?????"

Not taking any sides here, but even though a TV broadcast may be free to receive for the viewer, the stations are being compensated by paid advertising--something RTE won’t get from Youtube.

Also, said advertising might (emphasis might, mind you!) be used to pay said musicians or their estates. Or composers, publishers, copyright holders, original videographers, etc. etc.

RTE is not in fact ‘free to receive’ , afterall, we’re supposed to pay a licence fee to watch the tellie at all.

That aside, RTE owns the footage, full stop. it had it shot, it had the original restored. Nothing else about it.

I also don’t get the ‘why would an artist mind being uploaded to youtube’. That;s not for anybody but themselves to decide. I wouldn’t like it if anybody but myself would do that for example.

Posted .

I like Edel Fox’s solo concertina clips alot. Also Ernestine Healy’s duos.

Licence - point taken, I had overlooked this.

However (here we go again) one can watch these online (from the Free State and maybe from Norn Iron too?) for free. Actually, I was really peeved that BBC NI stuff can’t be watched over the border.

And RTE could use youtube - BBC do for instance, as do other media outlets - from which they could receive revenue. [possibly this is not worth it, as Warner are pulling their music, though surely it must also cost to have monitoring of youtube in place to find and remove unauthorised clips]. So perhaps they should do this (and forget about fan posts).

I second Free Reed’s link.

I am completely ignorant of copyright laws, etc. I am 67 years of age and been collecting soul, R&B and smooth jazz for many years. I recently learnt how to upload some of my favorite tunes, and rare one too, to Youtube. I don’t want anything for my time - I just enjoy sharing some of these great tunes with others. Like many others, I too am amazed when I have a tune removed for copyright breaching. I would have thought the artist, record company would have been please that someone was bringing to the public some little known artist or music.