I’ve been a good boy last year

I’ve been a good boy last year

so the magi brought me a nice Weymann tenor banjo, 19 fret, megaphonic rim. I’m new to resonator banjos, so I’m in need of a bit of advice.
The resonator has four wooden pieces sticked to the inside, covered in felt, that I guess are a kind of separator to keep it centered on the rim. There is an envelope with 6 metal pieces I don’t know how to use. So my questions are:
How is the resonator attached to the banjo? I can put it in place, but it will fall as soon as I stop holding it.
How is the 2 piece flange attached to the resonator?
I can do a few pics if that would help

It’s otherwise a well setup, nice sounding banjo.

Re: I’ve been a good boy last year

Are you sure you’ve been a good boy, Ramiro?

At least I made the magi believe I’ve been a good boy. That’s what matters.
They can’t read internet forums πŸ™‚

Can they?
oh πŸ™

That’s very well done, Ramiro. You are right of course.
But it sounds like one of them has sabotaged your banjo!
It will be interesting to hear the solutions.

Actually, Ramiro, magi come from cold climates don’t they?
They have probably used the wrong glue and the back has fallen off your banjo in the warm weather you have there. Magi! you can’t them anywhere !

you can’t take them anywhere, either!

DD, we had -3ΒΊC last night. And the Magi come from the Middle East.

You can’t win ‘em all, Ramiro. And on top of that they give you dodgy banjo!

I was very, very bad boy one year, and I promised to be a very, very bad boy the next year too. The Magi brought me a bodhran, and I was able to keep my promise.

A bodhran! That’s pretty extreme. Where can you go from there?

There are normally screw holes in the resonator - often on the top of the blocks you mentioned that have felt on them

Posted by .

King Herod was warned in a nightmare that this particular banjo would appear in his kingdom. He is sending his troops out on a search-and-destroy mission. He is determined to maintain high cultural standards in his realm.

It does sound like it was a rushed job…there’s the magi’s trippin’ over their robes chasing after the sleigh and hoistin’ the banjo into the back as it was taking off. Where’s the resonator y’eejit…giv’t to me here, and hoicking it into the back off it goes.

I thought that there were three Magi, and that you were supposed to receive a present from each one.

So If you only received a banjo, I reckon that you are two presents short.

… I would complain, if I were you πŸ™

Well, he’s got the front of the banjo, then the back of the banjo, but he’s missing the screws. That’s three presents, but someone is a slacker.

Shame on all of you. Not a single one of ye has made a bad ‘screw loose’ joke about yer man Ramiro here. Tsk tsk. πŸ˜›

"I thought that there were three Magi, and that you were supposed to receive a present from each one.
So If you only received a banjo, I reckon that you are two presents short."

No, no, you’ve got it all wrong! It was a competition, and Ramiro won first prize. The second prize was two banjos and the third prize was three banjos!

Ramiro, you should be getting a serious answer soon, I can feel it in my bones. Some reverential person will come along here and just solve it. Hang on! …and hang on to the resonator too. Jeez, man, if you’re havin’ to go from the tune to the resonator and back again while you’re playing, triplets are never going to be a problem for you soon enough.

The Weymanns have the clip-on resonator, as you mention. Mine didn’t have the flange, so I don’t know how it is attached. The four blocks should have little metal "springs" attached to them, and those should be what is covered with felt. On mine, I had to re-felt them, and I just cut strips of felt, and used rubber cement to hold the felt in place. Each spring had about 5-6 layers of felt, and then the resonator would clip on to the rim, and stay in place securely (but it was easy to remove, of course…)

If you’re confused, send me a private email, and I’ll try to draw a little diagram.

Heh, just read Duijera’s post. I suppose I’m "reverential" πŸ˜‰

See…I told you, Ramiro. All good things come to those who wait…and suffer for the common good.
Bless you Reverend; We’ll be promoting you to magi now and get rid of those other slackers eh.

I drew you a diagram anyway. Keep in mind that at least on mine, the felt was a lot thicker than you see in the diagram, because there were multiple layers to help make it snug on the instrument. And that’s why I used rubber cement. It helps the felt stay soft and pliable…

http://abctunesearch.com/weymann-resonator.jpg

I think the flange is attached to the resonator somehow, because I’ve seen pictures of ones with it that way, but I’m really not sure how it’s done. Does it look like it has screw holes somehow?

My guess is that the metal pieces in the envelope are the "springs", and that you need to take the felt off the wood blocks, attach the springs, and then put on new felt. If I remember correctly, the springs were screwed to the wood blocks, underneath the felt, down at the bottom.

I did see pictures of a Weymann on eBay once, where the guy got frustrated, and modified the resonator to screw on, but I think you can avoid that if you get the springs set up nicely. Like I said, that resonator was pretty stable when it was just clipped on mine…

Here’s a decent shot of one. You can see the multiple layers of felt. It’s not close enough to see the springs under the felt.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/e6/fb/988f_12.JPG

OK, I’ll shut up now. Let me know if you have any more questions! πŸ™‚

Thank you very much, Reverend. I don’t have the banjo with me at the moment, but probaly the springs are in place. I’ll have a look at night. I hadn’t thought of looking under the felt.
I don’t think the other metal pieces are the springs, they are too stiff to be a spring. I suppose they are for attaching the flanger to the resonator, but I still have to figure how to do it.
My resonator is not like the one in the pic you linked. That one looks like one piece of wood, while mine is made of 2 pieces, a wall and a bottom. It looks an original weymann resonator, or at least it has the weymann sticker on it.
I’ll put a pic somewhere for you to see it.

From that pic, it looks like the flange is attached to the resonator with some little L-brackets maybe.

So your resonator has like a rim and a back, instead of the curved inner surface? I thought that was part of what made it the "megaphonic" tone system. The banjo rim is sort of cone shaped, and the resonator was rounded on the inside, to make for the megaphone shaped tone chamber.

Anyway, would love to see pictures! πŸ™‚

Scary! πŸ˜€

drool ~~~ πŸ˜‰

what do you call a collection of banjoes lke in the picture??

ie gaggle of geese etc etc

??

A potential bonfire of banjos?

Some pics for the Reverend:
http://www.telefonica.net/web2/deb/weymann/

After close inspection, I think that the brackets were screwed to those little wedges and welded to the flange. There are two missing and one damaged wedges, but that will be an easy fix.
I’ll need to replace the felt, it does not behave like felt anymore.

Good pics, Ramiro!

I especially like the one of your cat. You should make a LOLCAT picture out of it. (http://icanhascheezburger.com/) Something about Al Bundy (from Married With Children) maybe…

Your serial number puts your manufacture during 1927 sometime. Mine was a 1925. I am surprised that it doesn’t have the curved inner part of the resonator. I wonder if that was only on higher models or something, but I thought the flanges only came on the higher models… Strange! Maybe the ones with flanges always had the back like that, so that they had something to attach to…

I don’t have a good handle on the flange connection still, but it sounds like you may have figured it out. The "wedges" seem to have screw holes in them, right? So that would make sense. Solder or weld them to the flange, and then screw them to the wedges.

Your spring clips look normal. They just need new felt, and that’s easy. Like I mentioned, I had good luck with rubber cement. Cut the felt strips a little longer than you need, and then trim them after they’re glued. Try it with a couple of strips, and then see how snug it is. It’s easy to make it tighter by adding another layer of felt on each spring.

Have fun! I loved my Weymann. I sold it to a friend that lives not too far away, so I still get to see it from time to time πŸ™‚

I was a bad boy and I got nothing from Santa Claus and I don’t care.