Looking for a 3 or 4 part jig…

Looking for a 3 or 4 part jig…

Hi - I’m could someone please suggest a tune (or two if they go nicely) for me to learn to go with a couple of other tunes I like? They’re both 4 part jigs and I’m looking for another 3 or 4 parter to finish off the set. The first tune is Doorrus Mill (Jackie Daly tune) and the second is Muireann’s Jig (Niall Valleley’s). So something to lift again at the end of Muireann’s would be nice.

https://thesession.org/tunes/1309

https://thesession.org/tunes/1902

thanks
Nathan

PS - I’ve put links to the first tunes there, but I won’t be learning tunes from any dots - I’ll find some recordings 😉

Re: Looking for a 3 or 4 part jig…

That Muireann’s is a cracker. Difficult to follow such a big tune, but why not try an even bigger tune? I think the Kilfanora jig would be pretty good. The ambiguity of the Bmin/Dmaj of the previous tune should resolve well to the total out and out cheeryness of the Kilfanora

Posted .

God, that would be a long set! Why not give yourself a break and do two tunes at a time! Are you going for a world record or something? Or trying to impress someone?

Nonsense, long sets are great. I’d much rather play one set for 20 mins and have a good ol’ chin wag for ten, than play sets of 5 mins and try and squeeze in chat of a couple of mins.

Posted .

Kilfenora #2 — although whenever it comes up in a session
I pray there won’t be any bozos who do that Mexican wave
routine in the last part

You can pray if you want, but a bit of pre-emption and an impolite feck off is more effective

Posted .

"Nonsense, long sets are great". I’ll agree with you on that one, Llig!

We sometimes have very long sets at one of our local sessions - not with any pre-planning though, it just happens spontaneously, with set "leaders" alternating

It happened on Monday this week. Someone kicked off with a set of three or four jigs. As soon as they showed signs of finishing, someone else picked up the thread and played another three. This went on for quite a while, sometimes with someone shouting out (whilst playing) the name of the next tune.

It’s actually a lot more fun when you have to multi-task in this way: that is keep leading a tune, but at the same time working out what your next one’s going to be (and how to make a smooth change into it).

More difficult than leading a pre-planned set, though …

yep, there’s great fun to be had in keeping it giong.

Posted .

Blarney Pilgrim- 3 parts. nice chord structure for backers, Moves a bit.

I’ve been recently impressed with a four or five-part jig called (The) Drover Lads, which I think isn’t in the database here. It may be Scottish. It is a *bit* reminiscent of The Munster Buttermilk, but is not a version of it - it’s a distinct tune. It may be on Kuntz’s "The Fiddler’s Companion" website, but I haven’t looked for it.

Yes, it’s in the Kuntz website, with the tune’s abc’s. It seems to be Scottish, with an untitled Irish version in Breathnach’s "Ceol Rince na hEireann", vol. 2.

Four parts; a fairly simple but lovely tune. I’ve certainly heard it being played very well.

thanks - I do like the kilfenora, blarney pilgrim’s good too…

The Cook in the Kitchen is a nice 3-part jig.

Why not go for a marathon and add Dr O’Neill’s? Six parts played three times should take you well past closing time. 🙂

Posted by .

Blarney Pilgrim
Merrily Kissed The Quakers Wife
Wandering Minstrel
Banish Misfortune
Muenster Buttermilk

NIce tunes, all.

Posted by .

Langstrom’s Pony is a nice multipart jig, although I don’t know how well it would fit your set……Amix tune.

why don’t you write one?

and be done

I don’t believe I could write a tune as beautiful as any one of the many, many wonderful tunes already discovered that could finish the set.