Bass tunings

Bass tunings

just wondering, when the bass is used in itm, is the standard tuning used most of the time, eadg or are other tunings used? what way did cooney tune his bass in the meitheal album.?
thanks

Posted by .

Re: Bass tunings

Whatever strikes your fancy. It’s not something that you’re going to find a "tradition" for, so it’ll depend on what you’re trying to do.
Upright or electric? Session or band?

You can tune a piano, but you can’t tuna fish!

Something fishy about this discussion thread.
Largemouth or smallmouth bass?
rob_handel
you can tuna fish if it is a bass fiddle.

When I play bass, I always use standard tuning no matter what type of music I am playing because I cannot think of a good reason to use an alternate tuning.

Nonononononono……….
The original quote, from Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, was;
"You can tuna guitar, but you can’t tuna fish."
Meanwhile, like fauxcalt, I can’t think why I’d want to tune my bass in other than standard tuning (electric, if you want to know ).
But I wouldn’t mind one with a 5th string, in fact that is about 5th on the list of instruments I hope to build in the next couple of years ( after a mandola, a 5-course ‘zouk, a couple of strats and a tele. ) I’ve got all the bits, all I need if the weather to warm up and clear and I’ll be out in the back garden with my Black and Decker.

Thank you for setting us all straight concerning the original quote from Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, Guernsey Pete.
In all of the years that I have been playing either my acoustic bass or my electric bass in various situations, styles, and types of music, I have always managed just fine with four strings and never felt as if I needed any more than four strings on my instrument.

In my 30 plus years of playing, I’ve messed around with different tunings on the electric bass, trying to faciliate chords. I never could find any thing better than standard EADG. I suppose a cello tuning would work, if you are used to playing bouzoukis & mandos & such as that. You’d then have to figure out the string tensions and all that sort of thing.

Can’t imagine any alternate tunings for the upright bass, though.

I can think of two variant tunings for the electric bass that would give you some flexibility, those would be tuning everything down a whole step and tuning from the low B (swapping out with the low B from a five string set, of course). Both of those aimed at giving you the low D, handy for obvious reasons, because otherwise you’re halfway up the neck most of the time.
Upright, I’d think about using a bass with an extension, but I don’t know if that’s a modification you can install aftermarket or if they have to be built that way…

In the UK, "Bass" is a brand of beer. A few pints of Bass(providing that it has been well kept) usually prompts a good tune or three ;-)

Dropped D can work.

After a few pints of Bass, you’re more likely to be playing bass on wind rather than string.

I have never tried Bass Pale Ale.
Thank you for the suggestions about alternate tunings but I think I will continue to use standard tuning.
I don’t mind having to play halfway up the neck of my bass if and when it is necessary.