Can anyone offer a little advice about where to find a bodhran teacher/good method ?

Can anyone offer a little advice about where to find a bodhran teacher/good method ?

Hello ๐Ÿ™‚ I am up here in NNY and am interested in learning basic bodhran, but the trouble is, we’re pretty isolated and it will have to be a self taught venture. Does anyone know a good instructional manual or method to start playing? (I read Jim’s post on them being too busy, and I want to get off on the right beat lol ๐Ÿ™‚ ) Thanks for your time—-Lydia

Re: Can anyone offer a little advice about where to find a bodhran teacher/good method ?

I tried this site but my missus does not get
what they are on about. (I must apologise about the
spellong before the gramar/spelling nazis open up.)

http://www.bodhranii.org.uk/

Besht of luck with it.

Re: Can anyone offer a little advice about where to find a bodhran teacher/good method ?

Didn’t we have this question about three weeks ago?

Lydia,

Look at www.halshawmusic.co.uk

They offer a bodhran tutor, with tape (possibly video too). I know a couple of people who have used it and they both still have all their own fingers.

Dave

Is this another wind up?

Posted .

remember michael: nobody likes a smartarse

see the email i sent you
fw

Thank you for the info…and no, I looked at all the topics before I posted this…pretty sure that I didn’t see this up there….smartarse or not, it’s no windup boyo lol ๐Ÿ™‚ Cheers!—Lydia

I took a workshop with Paddy League at the Irish arts week in the CATSKILLS. I recommend his book and CD (with 67 tracks containing bodhran lessons on all kinds of ITM). But I can’t locate a site to buy it thru on the internet.For some background on Paddy see:
http://www.tradmusic.com/artistinfo.asp?artistID=96
Another great teacher, Albert Alfonso, is slowly getting around to creating an instructional video. Don’t expect it soon! Paddy plays Alfonso drums—top of the line instruments>quality sound=conducive to learning!

Also, we hold a ITM session the 3rd Sunday of the month in Elmira, NY. If it’s not too far away, come on down and we’ll do a lesson on the bodhran for beginners before the jam. Email me for details or see the sessions listing, it is in there. I’ve been to a session in Potsdam NY and a few bodhraners were present. Syracuse has sessions as well so hope you find a place to frequent in NNY.

I’ve been able to contact him! Here’s what he wrote about getting his tutor book and cd:

If you’re interested in the book/cd, send a check for
$28 made out to Patrick League to me at:
6121 Union Village Drive
Clifton ,VA 20124

and I’ll get it out to you.
Thanks!
Paddy