Where to find ITM in New York?

Where to find ITM in New York?

I am planning to visit New York shortly and I would like to know, if and where, Andy McGann and Brian Conway regulary play. Additionally, if there are recommendations to hear other great musicians, or sessions that should not be missed, I would be grateful of those contact details also.

Many Thanks

Re: Where to find ITM in New York?

Not sure about Andy, but Brian’s at O’Neill’s on Saturday nights, I think.

Try the 11th street bar on E 11th between 1st and A, with Tony Demarco on Sunday evening. On monday late, more like tuesday morning try Monas on Ave B between 13th and 14th with Pat Orceau. Both great sessions but they may be on their summer break.

I have heard that O’Neills is good but I haven’t been for ages.

There are other sessions listed on this site as well as on a couple of other web sites. Google search New York area Irish music and dance events.

good luck.

Posted by .

Brian Conway and a bunch of players from the group, London Lasses, are doing O’Neill’s in the city.I
It’s at 45th and third in Manhattan and starts at 9:00. It’ s always been a great session but Brian is rarely there anymore. He also hosts a great session in White Plains on Wed which is about 45 minutes by train or car from Manhattan. This Wed they are celebrating the release of his former student Pat Mangan’s CD.

When I was in NY two years ago I went to a session at Paddy Reilly’s on 2nd Avenue - Tuesday night - that was with Tony de Marco. It was partially miked up - it was quite fast, not many other musicians (I remember a box player and a flute but sorry no names) but was beautiful to listen to. Seemed like a very friendly pub - I got a drink on the house even though I hardly played a note! It did start quite late….I’d need to find my diary to verify it but I’d say people were still coming into the bar at 11 pm and later. As usual I had to leave while things were still happening! It’s quite hard with sessions when you’re not a regular - they can vary from week to week so I’ve no way of knowing whether that was a "good one" or not. I’m always very shy at sessions I don’t know and although I am always itching to play I’m still very unsure of whether to "sit in" or sit outside……….

Sensible Shoes,
That session is on Thursday nights, the flute player was probably Linda Hickman. That is a pretty fast session it starts around 10:30 11:00.

Andy McGann’s health is not the best and is no longer playing in the city.
Tony DeMarco, Eamon O’Leary and many others play at Swift’s on Tuesday night’s, it’s also a miked session.
John