Heads Up Display for learning

Heads Up Display for learning

After recently watching one of those gadget shows i saw that they were using a pair of glasses with an internet able screen that was interactive while you just go about your daily business. They work a bit like those auto cues that people use when doing speeches as in they can also see straight through them while also taking in the info they display. And it got me thinking how cool would these glasses be for learning all your tunes on? After all when i’m learning my notes for my box i find my neck cricked over the box while staring at my sheet this does get uncomfy after a while. I guess Fiddle players and whistle players alike must have the same experience where ever you put the damn sheet it’s never right.
Imagine wearing these glasses sitting in your normal posture and seeing the notes/dots right in front of your eyes?
What do folks reckon is it something to look forward to in the future of learning or is it a case of nonsense and stick to traditional learning?

Re: Heads Up Display for learning

I like the idea. Reverend and I did a little experiment in tune-learning via video iChat. Worked pretty well. Might be even better with internet teleprompter glasses….

Posted .

X-ray glasses would be better.

*snicker*
That would be really neat, I agree. All we need is a crack-pot inventor to come around and spend millions to go about it!!

I think the technology is already there all we would need is the software. Jeremy?

And you just pop that in your top pocket when finished.

And they notes/dots are where exactly on the i-pod? You didn’t get the jist of this did you try reading from the top slowly.

no, i got it. i totally got it. i was trying to tell you not to use the dots.

Posted by .

I understand what you are saying daiv but not every one like you is able to learn by ear and having the dots in front is the way most learn. All i’m trying to do is suggest an easier learning method in the near future if you don’t like then you stick to your own method that’s all. What did you use before the ipod came along? And before the CD etc? it’s just another step forward.

everyone is capable of learning by ear. everyone who hears and doesnt have a developmental problem/stroke does it. people sing jingles and pop songs and the like.

well, what does most mean? in irish music? i would beg to differ. the way that most learn is by ear with sheet music as a supplement. most of the musicians i know learn tunes at sessions as well as off of recordings, and then sheet music to get a missing note or two, and then finally for an entire tune.

before the cd? i would have used a tape deck, or a record player. before that i would have just learned from the players in my family.

and if you care, i’m at least the fourth generation of musician to learn music by ear in my family, and definitely the third generation to learn by dots as well.

Posted by .

Well i’m the first generation in my family to learn by sheet. I have learned by ear but only simple tunes. So i take it none of your family would be interested in the glasses lol. Fair enough it’s horses for courses and all that. I was taught by the notes on sheet at first stage then learning by ear was sort of up to yourself but i wish i had more teachings on the "learn by ear" when i was a kid it might have helped me progress quicker. Just for the record i was taught by a box player who was only about 17 at the time and then had private lessons by an old fiddle player who was a genius and could do anything. Confusing i know.

if you’re interested, i could help you out with learning by ear. like i said, i do both, but i really believe in the importance of learning by ear.

my grandma didnt learn to read sheet music until she was 45. i would say learning to read sheet music is much harder than by ear. your profile says you’re 32—you’re not too young to work on it!

the best thing about learning by ear is that it makes learning off of sheet music better. i went cold turkey for a few years on sheet music, and when i went back it was unbelievably easy. that’s because now it’s easier to translate the dots into sounds rather than notes.

i’m serious about the offer, too. nothing fancy. email correspondence or something ( we could do internet phone if you have a mic). high pressure or low pressure, whatever. learning by ear is so natural… all you need is someone to help you figure it out yourself. it doesnt have to be in real time, either. we could take a recording, and you could work through it, and you could email me with the problems you had and i could talk you through them. beyond learning by ear, i believe in playing by ear, i.e. playing what you hear in your head. this can really free up your music—learning how to follow what you hear in your head rather than muscle memory.

anyways… let me know if you’re interested. if you’re some master musician and i’m just a newb in comparison, sorry for my presumptuousness! i forgot to mention that i learned sheet music FIRST for at least the first four or five years and had to spend years and years learning how to learn by ear effectively. i actually didnt even know people learned by ear in irish music. my grandma and my uncle just gave me sheet music, even though that is not how they learned to play.

daiv

Posted by .