Outlet Records

Outlet Records

Does anybody know how to locate old recordings released on Outlet?

I’m looking for a Seán Ryan album (Outlet SOLP1012) and a Paddy Cronin album ‘Kerry’s Own’ (Outlet OAS3002).

Best wishes,

Robert Ryan

Re: Outlet Records

Try googling, or check all the Irish music online record shops.

Outlet’s recordings have become very collectible.

The Seán Ryan album was reissued as a CD, ‘Back Home to the Cliffs of Moher’, and copies do occasionally crop up on eBay.

The OAS series of LPs was issued in very small quantities (500 max., or so I’ve heard). I’ve only ever seen a copy of the Paddy Cronin release at ITMA - so your hopes are very slim.

Posted by .

That’s what I (reluctantly) guessed. I’ve been on a bit of a mission for old records recently, and it’s become clear that a lot of great old music is simply impossible to find. It looks like it’s been about three years or so since any Bobby Casey LPs have come up for auction…

Perhaps we could organise a session.org-based campaign to, ahem, persuade companies like Topic, Gael Linn, Mulligan and Shanachie to re-release important recordings…

I don’t particularly like infringing copyright, but there’s little choice when old albums have to be copied from LP and cassette.

As it happens, I’ve just this minute received a very helpful email from Máire Harris at Gael Linn, and she tells me that they intend to re-release the entire back catologue over the next few years.

Hi,
I got the Sean Ryan LP recently on EBay but the CD has several additional tracks not on the LP. Did you get the Doyle / O’Leary LP by the way?
Good Luck,
Ian.

Yeah, got a few crackers recently thanks. Martin Mulvihill and Mick Moloney is my favourite at the moment though…

Rights to Mulligan Records was acquired by Compass Records Group and they have been re-releasing them for the past couple of years. Check their website www.compassrecords.com

Ooh! Do you think we’ll soon see Brendan McGlinchey and Finbarr Dwyer coming through too??

Taking Flight, please, please, please….

There are several reasons why LPs never get released in CD format and the most pertinent, in relation to Irish ‘classics’ are these.

1) The master tapes don’t exist any more.

Large organisations can lose them (or might even have destroyed them), as certainly has happened with EMI.

One of Ireland’s two vinyl pressing plants was destroyed by fire in the early 1980s - numerous masters were lost in the conflagration, including virtually everything released by Polydor.

From personal correspondence I’m also aware that the masters for numerous CCÉ, Decca, Mulligan, Cross Border Media and other labels have disappeared (including, I suspect, Casey’s ‘Taking Flight’).

Who knows what’s happened to the masters of the albums issued by Brendan Mulkere’s Inchecronin label or Finbarr Dwyer’s Silver Hill?

As for Outlet, I’ve heard that the masters are stored somewhere safe, but no idea of said location.

2) Profitability.

Topic has issued hardly any of its substantial Irish back catalogue in CD format (e.g. the Leo Rowsome collection, ‘Paddy in the Smoke’, Margaret Barry). The CDs which have appeared were all licensed to labels such as Ossian, Green Linnet, Shanachie and Proper.

Topic’s CEO, Tony Engle, would only consider re-issuing an album such as The Star of Munster Trio’s if its sales would more than balance the books and that just isn’t going to happen.

3) Licensing

Compass has indeed acquired the rights to the Mulligan label, but said rights are restricted by other extant deals made by Mulligan in the past, not least involving the Celtic Music label which retains the rights to UK distribution of certain albums, including The Bothy Band’s debut and Paul Brady’s ‘Welcome Here Kind Stranger’.

I wish I could be more optimistic, but some of these albums are never going to appear again as CDs.

That’s good news re. Gael Linn, but it too is run for profit and I doubt whether a reissue of an album such as Seán Bán Mac Griannan’s solo would be considered viable.

Posted by .

Robert - there is a 10-CD compilation of Outlet recordings which was discussed here last year. I bought a few for £15.00 when they turned up on ebay - some people here have got them for less. Goes under the unlikely title of "Celtic Soul". May still be available, but I haven’t seen it over the last year. You should look out for it, unless you specifically want the LP records.

Posted by .