Looking for a traditional fiddle teacher in Northern Virginia, USA … any leads?

Looking for a traditional fiddle teacher in Northern Virginia, USA … any leads?

Hey folks.

I have a fiddle-playing friend in Northern Virginia who’s taught herself for several years with help from her mother - but now she’s after a teacher to improve her general technique and learn things like position shifting etc. The thing is, her parents are making her go to a classical teacher because they can’t find anybody to teach her the trad style, and this teacher seems to be going down the hardline classical route eg. making her hold the bow at the frog when she’s always used a more "Ni Mhaonaigh" type hold, higher up the bow.

Any info on trad teachers in the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, S

Posted by .

Re: Looking for a traditional fiddle teacher in Northern Virginia, USA … any leads?

Philippe Varlet is in Takoma Park, Maryland, which is not far far from the D.C. suburbs of Northern Virginia. I don’t play fiddle but I’ve heard he’s a good teacher, and he’s a great player and session leader. Contact him via his CD-sales website, www.celticgrooves.com (see the How to Order section for his email).

Re: Looking for a traditional fiddle teacher in Northern Virginia, USA … any leads?

Mitch Fanning is a classically trained violinist who has made the transtion to playing Irish traditional fiddle, having studied with Brendan Mulvihill among others. Mitch now teaches Irish fiddle and classical violin extensively in the Washington DC area, specializing in the instruction of kids. He runs an annual week-long summer fiddle camp in the DC area and provides year-round socialization opportunities for his young fiddle students via a performing band that does school appearances, charity shows, etc. He’s also beginning a series of group fiddle classes soon at Glen Echo Park. He would be an ideal instructor for your friend or anyone else who is straddling the line between classical and traditional playing. Mitch’s e-mail address is mitch.fanning at semperfidils.com. (I’m assuming you know what to do to turn that into a real working e-mail address, right?)

John Knowles who plays with Fynesound (http://www.fynesound.com/) is an excellent fiddler. He originally taught himself in the (an) Irish style which took on a distinct tartan flavour when John later spent many years living in Scotland (where I met him).

I believe he stays in the DC area.

Thanks a lot folks, I’ll pass those details on. Cheers, S

Posted by .

John Knowles and his wife Sharon (a Scottish harp player / teacher) moved up to the Gettysburg PA area a couple of years ago when he retired from the Navy. That’s a couple hours drive away from DC. I believe Sharon may still come down to the DC area periodically to teach students, but I don’t think John does that.

johnkerr - if you see, or are in touch with John & Sharon, please give them my regards. Many thanks, "Kenny".

Posted by .

Or you could come into Baltimore and have your pick of Brendan Mulvihill, Jim Eagan, Rosie Shipley, Danny Noveck, etc.

Aaron Olwell or Cleek Schrey in the Charlottesville area.

Posted .

That’s an easy question: Brendan Mulvihill is by far the best Irish fiddler in the DC area. He’s in Wheaton, MD but it’s not far from NoVa. Google his name and send him an email.

I met Philippe. He is very good. He was playing at Rira in Bethresda on Tuesday nights

Hey John Kerr. Was that you playing at RiRa in December?

JW says Hi.