iPhone/iPod Touch applications?

iPhone/iPod Touch applications?

So I recently published my first iPhone application (a puzzle game, called Blok-Buster http://iPhoneClassics.com). I am in the process of writing a couple more apps for iPhone and iPod Touch - one that I’m actually getting *paid* for… heh.

Since I’m still not gainfully employed, and surviving on contract work, I’ve been brainstorming ideas for other apps I could develop in the future that might have at least a niche audience. The iPhone is seriously lacking any ABC applications. I have toyed with the idea of trying to write a full-fledged ABC application that would display dots, and play midi (shudder), but it would be a serious amount of (unpaid) work. How much interest is there in that?

I don’t have a good feel for how many people in the Irish music community actually have an iPhone or iPod Touch. And if you do, how much would you be willing to pay for an ABC player? $10?

What about a 99 cent app that acted as a "little black book", to let you jot down the first few bars of ABC of a tune as a memory aid, and then scroll through, or search them at a later date? Or maybe it could let you choose between jotting down ABC or putting in a couple of bars of dots… Would people use that?

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch applications?

I’m an ITM - iPhone guy, and recently posted a discussion which sort of touches on this topic https://thesession.org/discussions/20746

Since it’s possible to surf on the iPhone to the thesession database, I’m not quite sure, if I would be willing to pay for an ABC application (I also don’t use the ABC format really, only sheet music when necessary). But I do find your idea of "little black book" aka a tunebook application on the iPhone a very good idea!

I think one should be able to write sheet music (or "dots") on it as well. Also some sort of categorization option, eg. reels, jigs, etc. would be great. In a way it would be useful, if one could browse the tunes one has in his head like an iTunes library or something… possibilities are endless. And yes, I would definately pay 99 cent for it. Add the option of recording/playing back audio and I’ll pay you 10 bucks more.

Posted by .

What about a metronome that uses the tilt censor to speed it up or slow it down? Tilt it ‘til you get the speed you’re after then a lock function so you can put it on the table?

I wouldn’t use it, but it would get you into the wider music market?

Posted .

There are several great recording/playback apps available out there for free (I use the Griffin ad-supported one, and it’s great). So I don’t know that the amount of work to build recording/playback in to the "little black book" would be worth it, although, I admit it would be handy!

You could do a tuner?

Posted .

Llig, did you really just suggest a metronome application?!? πŸ˜›

It’s kind of a cool idea - but there’s already quite a number of metronome apps… I’ll give that one some thought too…

There’s also a ton of tuner apps too…

Shows what I know

Posted .

How about an application that sends a signal to disable all cell phones within a certain radius so people actually talk to the person sitting next to them in the session instead of constantly on the phone? Also would be worth the price just to be able to see a movie sometime without half the audience texting with their backlit "flashlights" glowing in the dark.

Posted by .

Reverend - is your abctunesearch site ipod friendly? I’ve fought the urge to get an ipod for a while now, but if it were easy to use your site on the go, that would be the nail in the coffin for my sprint cell.

can you get an iphone application that would let you have good recordings live ?
Until this happens I wont be interested in getting an Iphone .

Rev - How about an app like Shazam that listens in and spit back the name of the tune? Works for pop music already.

How about one for trad?

Avi

Dude I love my Iphone

@nathan G - Reverends abctunesearch is built in flash (I think), which at the moment, is not available for the iphone. However there are plans to introduce it (adobe, the makers of flash, and apple are in talks at the mo).

@reverend - I have been toying with the idea of making an app - how is the development kit - is it easy to use? Best of luck for your future apps ;).

Nathan, abctunesearch.com does auto-detect iPhone/iPod Touch, and has a page for them. It is slightly scaled-down functionality (i.e. the Contour Search isn’t there… but the base searching functionality is there…)

Avi, I’ve thought about the idea of an app that finds tunes based on a snippet (like MATT & TANSEY http://www.comp.dit.ie/bduggan/music/), but that’s probably more complex than I can justify right now. I could take months to develop that, and I wouldn’t have time to make any money πŸ˜‰

bathfiddler, I’m not a big fan of Objective C, which is the development language. But there are some good APIs out there that help. And you are correct, abctunesearch.com is written in Flash, however, there is an iPhone friendly version…

What about a string tension calculator, which would let you plug in your instrument (or select a custom layout/tuning), and then play with string gauges?

I actually pitched that idea to D’Addario, but never heard back. 😏

It’s amazing how many members of this illustrious digital exchange are computer hardware/software people, or mathematician types.

There must be some sort of emotional offset provided by Trad when one is involved in cutting edge technologies

There was an article in our newspaper about a chap who did an application that allowed such a device to be used as an ocarina. He held it with the screen upwards and blew onto the microphone to activate the tone. He had extension loudspeakers on his wrists to hear it. Maybe a tin whistle version? (Can you fit 6 fingers?) Octave control might be an issue!

Terry

if Transcribe was available for the iphone, i would buy the device and the software. i use blackberry at the moment; heavily damped bells and pealess whistles

one practicing tool which would be useful…
when i learn a new tune, i’ll tweak the tuning in Transcribe to fit my instrument. this tuning is saved in the Transcribe file,but not the original audio file.

I also set up playlists that will randomly throw tunes at me, so it will encourage me to practice tunes i may have forgotten about..

however, as the original sound files are "untuned", this doesnt work-every other tune is out of tune with me.

so some sort of player which would remember a separate "tuning offset" for each tune in a playlist would be of value to me- on a iphone and PC

this may already exist……….

Hey Rev, here’s a fun fact. Montana residents cannot get iPhone service. Apple decided there was only enough bandwidth here for out-of-state roamers passing through. So f*ck them.

Posted .

The app I’ve had in the back of my head for a while is sort of a tune database/practice aid, that I’ve built a couple of unsatisfactory versions of in MS Access. Mostly I just print off lists of tune names and then try and find and write out the melody while I’m on the bus to work. This would be better as an iPhone app.

It’s basically a tune list with the first two bars of ABC that allows me to sort all the reels, for example, into randomized sets of tunes. Just for fun.

The next phase would be to have it show the next tune name (with or without the ABC) every couple of minutes, so I’d have to play that tune as it comes along. But I don’t like playing in the room with the computer, so I’ve never got around to it.

On the other hand, I think Michael’s right that we’re better off keeping most of this stuff in our heads. Practice makes perfect there too.

Posted by .

Hey silver bow, I don’t think you should blame it on Apple. It’s AT&T who won’t put their 3G network in Montana… Just buy an unlocked iPhone, and use a different carrier πŸ˜‰

Thanks for the input, everybody. I think I will plan out the "little black book" idea, with ABC and dots. I can probably make it import your tune book automatically. And I have a couple ideas of some other bells and whistles…

There’s actually an application recently released that holds a database of ABC tunes on the iPhone. It’s called TradTunes.

It doesn’t play the tunes or present standard dots, it’s just an ABC reference database which is nice - I picked it up via a promotional code from boards.ie

What about a drag and drop music composition APP? single line, could be restricted in key choice, play what you write…. could sell a new app for each key, or instrument….