Best crack in Sydney on Paddy’s Day weekend?

Best crack in Sydney on Paddy’s Day weekend?

Does anyone know the best place to play some tunes on the Saturday before Paddy’s Day (14th March) in Sydney?

Due to some interesting planning on my SO’s part we will be down there for the week, and I’ll be missing my usual disgraceful behaviour up here in Brissie (we made all the news broadcasts last year! 🙂 )

I’d love an inclusive session, but a worth seeing local band would be a good substitute.

Eno

Re: Best crack in Sydney on Paddy’s Day weekend?

I guess you don’t need me to give you a list of Sydney Irish bars and pubs.

There’s bound to be something on at The Harp (Tempe, nr the station) or Durty Nelly’s, not to mention joints like the Merchant City. Even though their websites don’t give much clue.

Both the Harp and Durty Nelly’s still have Sunday arvo sessions, and both are easily reachable by public transport.

Out of the two, I’d say that Durty’s is higher standard and more crowded, but The Harp is more intimate and welcoming - and still attracts a few very good players, based on my recent visit. Christy who anchors it, sings some songs, but gives plenty of space and support to tune players

Posted by .

Thanks Bren,

I’ll get on Google maps and work out a pub crawl just in case the first session is too crowded (or too high level!). I’ve heard really good things about the Sydney scene, and what better time to dip your toe in the water? Well, just about any, really, but beggars can’t be chosers. 🙂

Eno

There’s a concert in Sydney on March 14th being promoted as an ‘Australian Fleadh’ http://www.eqmoorepark.com.au/event.aspx?id=11910 and the blurb mentions a "back room trad session". Paying $75 to attend a session aint my idea of fun.

But there’ll probably be a decent session at the Gaelic Club in Devonshire St on the Sunday arvo/night, after the St Patricks Day parade.