realplayer question

realplayer question

I’ve noticed that some video clips I have recorded, while replaying the music fine, play the video jerkily.

Anything I save from you tube is saved as a flash video and plays ok. Anything I save from RTE or TG4 is saved as an Internet video and plays jerkily, almost like a series of stills.

Anyone else have this problem, or does everyone?

Posted by .

Re: realplayer question

Video is a big consumer of computer resource, so insufficient resource (CPU power or memory) is the most likely cause of your problem.

But since you having supplied us with the specification of your computer and operating system, it’s impossible to answer your question.

Yes, I see what you mean but the same videos play fine when streaming - it’s just when playing back a saved programme.

Playing back a programme saved from the BBC download service also works okay and they are really big, high quality files. So I don’t think it’s the computer (modern-ish laptop) or operating system (XP).

Posted by .

Blood and stones spring to mind …

- but at least we’re now getting somewhere - you’re running Windows XP (but you might have been running Mac OS or Linux all we knew!).

Now we need the spec

Go to: Start => Control Panel => System

..then advise the following:

- OS Details (XP or XP Pro, version, service pack)
- CPU details
- Memory details

And after you have done that, do this

1) Launch one of your problem videos
2) Press Ctrl+Alt_del to get Windows Task Manager
3) Click the "Performance" Tab
4) Have a look at the current CPU useage and Page File usage, and report back what you find.

Do you ever carry out any maintenance on your PC?

1) Execute a serach for all temporary files on your hard drive (all files with an extension of .tmp) and delete them
2) Empty the recycle bin
3) Defragment your hard drive

All these things are worth doing, as they will improve your system’s performance in general terms (even if they don’t resolve your current problem).

The quality of a stream is more to do with how good your internet connection is, whereas saved videos depend more on your RAM. I’m guessing as you’re on a laptop you don’t have that much RAM which causes the video to ‘jerk’.

I suspect if the TG4 server is under load, it contributes to some of the jerkiness. If I download the programmes at an "off peak" time such as early morning before America wakes up, I obtain much smoother results.
Worth a try.

Posted by .

XP Professional version 2002 service pack 3
1.73ghz, 768mb ram

When playing a problem video CPU usage is between 2 and 9% and page file usage 551mb which is only 2 out of 8 bars on the graph.

Yes, I do all the maintenance things you mention.

Posted by .

Thank you for your help so far.

Posted by .

@Rob

I don’t think that the time of download (as suggested by deeor) can possibly be relevant, as in your case the problem relates to saved files.

Your CPU spec would appear to adequate, but 768Mb of RAM is nothing these days - especially for a memory-hungry application like video.

If your machine has insufficient memory, it will auto switch to virtual memory (i.e the hard disk). As the hard disk is much slower than RAM, this could well give rise to the "jerkiness" that you mention.

So here’s my suggestion:

Arrange to use someone else’s computer that is fitted with (say) double the amount of RAM that yours has.

If your saved files play better on the other machine, upgrade the RAM on your own computer.

I’ll try that, thanks, but as I say, files downloaded from BBC iplayer are fine (and I think they are bigger, more memory hungry files) or youtube. It’s just the ones like TG4 that were never intended to be available for download so that could be significant - butnot if no-one else has the same problem.

So I’ll transfer to a more powerful machine and see how I go.

Posted by .

I have problems using realplayer* (download) with TG4.
My realplayer works fine with RTÉ.
We don’t receive many of the BBC broadcasts outside the UK.
On YouTube I use vixy.net to convert & save audio files.
http://vixy.net/

*There are 2 other applications which may work better. Neither are currently on my laptop. I’ll get back if I find a relevant discussion.

Posted by .

When I was saving video from TG4, & wanted something other than realplayer, I used Orbit Downloader.
I don’t recall having any problems. Currently I do not have Orbit on my laptop. KIS
This is the discussion where I 1st heard about orbit Downloader;
https://thesession.org/discussions/19978#comment418053

A few comments down the thread lazyhound mentions VLC Media Player*.
This also is not currently on my laptop. If I remember correctly it worked fine as an all-in-one cross-platform application. I only took it off because it bundles realplayer & windows media, is therefore huge, & I can get what I need faster using separate applications when & where I need them.

http://www.download.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10267151.html

Rob, don’t mean to complicate matters. Good luck with RealPlayer. Mix has given some good advice. Keep us posted.

Posted by .