whistle - side of the mouth

whistle - side of the mouth

I’m just starting to play the whistle and I’ve noticed that many people angle the whistle to one side of their mouth while playing and I was wondering if there was a reason for this.

Re: whistle - side of the mouth

I think some people just find it more comfortable and it helps keep it out of the way of their tongue (or vice-versa).

Personally I tend to play it straight on.

It’s to stop the condensation dribbling onto your lap, by re-directing it onto the lap of the person beside you.

I’m wondering if there’s any benefit to controlling airflow by angling the whistle. I’ve noticed that on two inexpensive whistles, my Generation Folk Brass and my Walton Little Black D, I can control the lower D note and not have it break as easily when I angle the whistle… but I don’t know if that’s a real benefit or something I’m imagining.

Imagination. Dribbling onto neighbours lap is the only advantage.

I tend to play my Susato whistle a bit crooked, because I can make the tone less plasticky that way somehow. I suppose that by letting some air escape out the side of the blowhole, I am creating an embochure… but not being a fluter, I really don’t know anything about that. I just know it takes a lot more air that way, and if I play too long I start to see stars.

Otherwise, I suppose others do it because it looks jaunty and devil-may-care.

I find myself anglng the whistle sometimes .. I think it’s a postural thing. Got nothing to do with technique.

Posted by .

Flute players often feel more comfortable moving it a bit to the side
because they are used to fingering that way. It has no effect on the
sound.

However if your style of playing has a lot of tonguing in it, you’d do better
to keep it centred. for better control of that.

They just want to be one of the ‘cool’ kids.

I know a guy who does it sometimes to hear better what he’s doing when he’s not sure about the tune, or that’s what he says anyway. Very exageratedly so it looks funny.

It’s so they can drink with the other side.

And smoke with the middle.

To hear better in a noisy session I nod my head and lean forward.
Maybe I need to buy one of those posh aluminum whistles to make more
of a racket. On fiddle I press my ear to the fiddle; it’s a bad way to play though

I am one of those who plays from the side of the mouth. I never noticed anybody else doing it. I think it is actually a disadvantage from a breathing and vibrato stand point. Good whistle players can vibrate their cheeks (their face cheeks, so there is no confusion) rapidly to aid in some breathing/sound techniques. I picked up the habit by first playing saxophone as a youngster. Proper form with saxophone is to have the mouth piece in the side of your mouth.

BTW…my wife has asked that I exclaim my love for her….and not just the whistle and/or Irish music, so here is goes…I….I…L…Love Irish music…I mean…I Love my wife.

Petey - I dunno who your sax teacher was, but that is wrong.
You might see some famous old jazzer with the mouthpiece going
that way but it is not something to imitate.

Playing to the side gives a breathier, more flute-like tone. I much prefer it (except when playing slides, when I prefer the sharper, cut-through type of sound).

Odhu ntinggo

Max

Posted by .

I came upon this thread after noticing a very good player I sometimes play with playing out of the side of the mouth. Interesting change. A warning: if you try playing way out of the side of your mouth, be prepared to be temporarily deafened in that ear. I don’t know how piccolo players keep their hearing!