How many musicians are instrument builders ?

How many musicians are instrument builders ?

There seems to be an increasing list of people who alternate/subsidise/ whatever one with the other.
This occurred to me on an earlier thread, after a mention of Pat Sky.

Re: How many musicians are instrument builders ?

now that is a great question all together especially when you consider the ‘chicken and egg’ senario within ‘id it

fish lay eggs

Posted .

Australian mandolin makers Stephen Gilchrist, Peter Daffy and Paul Duff are all good players, but I think the making subsidises the playing rather than vice versa.

Don Morrison who made my resophonic mandolin always has a series of entertaining musical projects on the go
http://www.donmo.com/Music/Home%20.html

Posted by .

I’d say the percentage of instrument builders who are players is greater the percentage of players who are instrument builders. I’d be willing to bet a large sum on it.

Posted by .

Most of the real talent in Britain since 1970 has gone into making musical instruments and home brew.

The rapid turnover of the second and sometimes the first keeps the wheels turning and ensures that recondite rural haunts are plentifully stocked with lairy, peculiar artisan types who will probably continue in their work unperturbed by the prostration of the polity and economy; and no bad thing, either.

What about the three Irish box builders Searson, Clancy and Connolly? They are all good musicians as well.

Michael Searson - Cairdin
Paddy Clancy - Paddy Clancy
Martin Connolly - Kincora

Hammy Hamilton?

I’m just an amatuer builder, but take time and care and they are really nice, comfy and sound great. Four guitars, with another in the works, and just finished a 26 string harp.

There is something really nice about raising an instrument from infancy…from a bunch of wood and hardware, strings, polishing it, understanding what makes it tick, and then playing it. It’s really addictive.

I can think of three fiddle players I know in my area who are professionally trained luthiers, and also a luthier who plays violin in an orchestra.

We have a talented musician in our group who plays beautiful tunes on his artistically crafted bouzouki, mandolin, and guitar. I was amazed to find out that he builds all his instruments as well.

"fish lay eggs"

Most fish lay eggs. Some are viviparous.

Yeah, splitting hairs their. The revelance is that there have been eggs around for a heck of a lot longer than chickens.

Posted .

I consider myself a musician and an instrument maker - I don’t do much else, so what else can I call myself? But there are plenty of people who don’t consider themselves musicians who play much better than me and there are people who don’t consider themselves instrument makers who make better instruments.

2 of the attendees at our local session are instrument makers. One makes his own fiddles (coveted by excellent fiddlers in our area), and the other makes many different stringed instruments (all great looking and great sounding in his hands).

A local musician and builder is Keith Beechey, who both builds and plays his own harps, not just celtic but also South American. And you can hear him this month live at Barnet Folk Club with Richard Cryan.
Pete Stanley, now very much an eminence grise, restores and builds banjos, as well as having been playing them for 50 years !
I am also so old I remember Stefan Sobell playing a folk club gig.

My regular session is mostly populated by luthiers.
A pipemaker, 2 violin makers and myself (whistles) are regulars, others attend from time to time.

Traditional instruments are often not generally available - it makes sense that enthusiasts are often forced to fill the gap themselves.

Posted by .

a few that spring to mind who i’ve sat with (and what they build) include Brendan Ring (uillean pipes / elder reeds), Brendan MacCauley (flutes), Barrie Lockwood (bodhrons) and Keith Calton (okay … cases then); and Aidan Burkes dad, who dosn’t play, made him a fiddle which he plays to this day