SOS “Save Our School”

SOS “Save Our School”

The Flowing Tide Music School in Doonbeg, West Clare has become a casualty of the economic crisis and now faces threat of closure. I must admit that I don’t know its founder, flute player Bill McNamara but I have admired his initiative in setting up this music school back in 1993 as it’s just the sort of facility many musicians from around the world would welcome. More details on his predicament were published last week in the Clare People and you can see this article at http://www.clarepeople.com/index.php/This-Weeks-News/the-turning-of-the-tide.html. It makes for depressing reading in that a loan of €20,000 or so can, with penalty charges, soon become a debt of €110,000! It’s also very ironic that in these financially troubled times a financial matter of this modest magnitude cannot be mutually resolved to the benefit of both parties when those same banks are being bailed out by the Government to the tune of billions.

Anyhow there’s something many of us can do and that is to support the benefit concert for the School next Saturday night in Cois na hAbhna which should help alleviate part of the debt and equally show solidarity with a fellow musician. A mighty concert is in prospect as shown on the excerpt below lifted from the Clare People:-

"The Flowing Tides trust fund has been set up to raise enough money to prevent the sale of this land. Internationally renowned musician Tommy Peoples will take part in a fundraising concert in Cois Na hAbhna in aid of the trust on Saturday, March 14th. 
A committee meeting to organise the works of the trust will take place this week. To get involved contact Denise Dalton at 087 6394185."

Re: SOS “Save Our School”

I’ve just picked up two comments from "non-yellowboarders" on the above matter and feel that they have a relevance here:-

Rose said:
Ah how saddened i was to read this posting in these hard economic times that we are all going through,but its sadder when it’s someone you know. I’ve know Bill for many years and worked with one of his daughters and you couldn’t meet a nicer man and family. I’m sorry this had to happen to Bill or anyone else but i guess "its the way it is, for now". Everyone is feeling the pinch and I’m sure it will be while yet before things/economy pick up we will just have to hang on a little longer than planned. I hope Bill finds strength and asks for help as there is no shame in asking. For many Clare musicians and followers alike don’t worry there will always be tunes following Bill McNamara wherever he is, whether it be from "flowing tides" or any where else the music will always be heard. Chin up Bill, Best of Luck

Sometimes we stand at life’s crossroads
And we look at what seems the end,
God has a much bigger picture,
And He tells us it’s only a bend
Relax,take it easy,grow stronger
God will share your load.
Your work is not finished just yet
you’ve just come to a bend in the road
The road goes on its smoother,and the pause in the SONG is a rest,and the part that’s UNSUNG and unfinished
Is the sweetest and richest and best

gerjohn55 said:
This is what happened in the UK in the recession in the early 90’s, you could owe the bank say £100K, they would repossess you, sell your home at an auction for £40-50K even though houses on the same road were advertised in the estate agents window for £120K and then would chase you for the balance/difference between what you owed them and the paltry amount they let your property go for at auction. So then you were homeless and still had them chasing you whilst someone had bought your house for half-nothing and was laughing all the way to the bank, especially as prices rose.

I think the first comment picked at the essence of it, "its the way it is, for now". I am sorry Bill is in trouble over it but in fairness, if he didn’t made it become a viable enterprise during the boom years, no amount of concerts will change that any time soon.
All the best to him.

Posted .

I’ve met and played with Bill a few times - I even made myself a makeshift mandolin capo specially so I could play along to his favourite E-flat flute (a much easier task than spontaneously transposing my repertoire up a semitone). Although I never attended his music school, I learned a lot from him, owing to his generous spirit. It’s anyone’s guess which way the economy is going to go in the next few years, and there’s not a lot I can do to help from Mid Wales but I wish him luck and hope that Flowing Tide manages to pull through one way or another.

Ah! yes, we are regulated by the ‘Financial Regulator’ and he is a prat so we do as we like and ‘Terms and Conditions Apply’ which means we have lots of small print and we will screw as best we can.
Denice if you are including a raffle for fund raising then get in touch with me.

White Horse, I didn’t know you were a banker - someone once said that the term for a grouping of such people would be a wunch! Seriously though many thanks for your support and Denice may be able to send you over some raffle tickets. Unfortunately Bill will have to rely on support from fellow musicians and well wishers as he is not a member of any "Golden Circle". Also his debt arose from a genuine project offering real benefit to the community in contrast to the "toxic" variety which presently qualifies for Government support

According to his bio White Horse is a hotelier in Brittany, so it is understandable that he is being regulated from on high - presumably financially - and even more understandable that he seems to be doing his best to get around it.

No, not a banker, ‘Merchant Banker’ or otherwise. My motivation to comment was In relation to the topic, not self promotion as ‘lazyhound’ suggests. I have the likes of him for that.

To grow 10g into 110g will be built into the ‘Terms & Condition’ and approved by the ‘Financial Regulator’. This merde practice was my primary motivation to comment. At a time when Bill and the likes could do with a bit more support and a plan to resolve the problem all they do is add grease to the slippery sloap and exploite the suitation as best possible..

Re the raffle, I was interested to make a contribution by way of a prize.

White Horse, I’ve spoken to Denise and your donation of a raffle prize would be very much appreciated. Can you please send it direct to the venue:-
Cois na hAbhna, Galway Road, Ennis, Co. Clare, Ireland

If anyone else on the Yellowboard wishes to do likewise, this would also be much appreciated. An alternative way to support Bill would be to contribute to a special account now being set up by the Support Committee. I’ll post details once available.

A great line-up for Saturday night’s concert is expected and in addition to Tommy Peoples, Tommy Hayes and Denis Liddy, Siobhán Peoples, Michelle Mulcahy and Michael (Blackie) O’Connell are now also confirmed.

I would definitely attend this show, but unfortunately, my band are playing in Killaloe that day… Pity about the school. Keep The music comin’!

Can you ask Denis to email me directly (breizhms@gmail.com) and I can then complete the task..

I’ve done that White Horse. Just had a phone call to confirm that Tommy Peoples will be accompanied by Ennis based guitarist, Alph Duggan who also accompanied him on the "Quiet Glen" CD, a truly great recording - http://homepage.tinet.ie/~logo/tommy.htm. No doubt we can look forward to some of the tracks from this CD on Saturday night. In fact I recall we were discussing some of these here recently and in particular the "Mouse in the Attic" and the "Fat Cat", two great newly composed hornpipes.

Please note a correction to my post regarding raffle prizes - Cois na hAbhna is purely the venue for the Saturday night concert and in no way involved in its organisation. Anyone interested in contributing a raffle prize should get in touch with the organising committee (contact Denise Dalton at 087 6394185) who will provide advice on where to send their contribution.