Edmonton, Alberta 1978

Edmonton, Alberta 1978

This is a slightly belated request but I attended the Commonwealth Games in Edmonton in 1978 and went to a couple of the outdoor concerts held there. At one there was a young female fiddler brought over from Ulster (if I remember her accent). She was extremely good and, I don’t know why I suddenly want to know…… but I would like to know her name if anyone can help.

Re: Edmonton, Alberta 1978

‘Slightly belated’….wonderful!

"Sigh……"

Geoff- you realise this is like asking for a tune title without giving the ABC- it will have them harumphing in the archives. Now, if you had a sample of DNA…

Thanks for the replies

Not a lost love, Splendid. I was in Edmonton to see a Canadian nurse I had met the year before whilst backpacking in New Zealand. The games, and concerts,were a happy coincidence on reflection

"Sigh…" for Kathy the nurse perhaps Guernsey πŸ™‚

I suppose slightly belated is a little understated. No DNA ( we weren’t that close) but I remember she played really good setting of Hartigan’s Fancy, P-K

Could be. It’s a long time ago, airport . I imagine this person will now be in her fifties. There must be someone in our Ulster chapter who knows who got this gig in 78

Deirdre Shannon was a prominent Ulster fiddle player at that time, Geoff, and had toured North America as part of a Comhaltas tour around that time. I have the LP, and there’s a photo on the back. PM me, with and address, and I’ll send you a photocopy of it, or I could scan it, and email it.
If you’d asked this last Wednesday, I could have asked Desi Wilkinson. I could email him, but you may be asking the impossible here.

Posted by .

Thanks Kenny.

She did say she was part of an organised tour so I think I have found who I was looking for.

The power of thesession.org πŸ™‚

We da Bhoys πŸ™‚

Posted by .

Care, though, Geoff- someone of that name also sings/sang with Celtic Woman…

PS………………and gyurrls, of course.

Posted by .

πŸ™‚