Willie Clancy Summer School 2009

Willie Clancy Summer School 2009

I plan on attending WCSS ’09 for the first time. I play fiddle and from what I gather the classes are held near Spanish Point. I also hear there are camping acocomodations near there. As a seasoned camper and backpacker I am leaning toward this choice. Anyone who has attended the school previously have any thoughts as to what camping at Spanish Point is like? Is it safe?
Thanks.

Re: Willie Clancy Summer School 2009

Bring ear plugs!

Posted by .

Had no bother camping on Spanish Point last year. Will do it again this year.

We didn’t use the official camp site, we camped at the lay by near the beach. Perfectly safe, and a bit quieter than the official site. We should be there again this year.

Easy to spot. Large van, BMW and Jaguar cars.

And the world’s best bodhran player.

Torn shreds of tents whipping across the rain sodden beach to be carried away on the ragged waves.. 🙂 Meanwhile BB plays on …

Posted .

Try phoning a B&B in the area and see if they would let you camp on their grounds and use their bathroom/breakfast facilities etc for a nominal fee.

This is what I did last year at €10 a night and for me it was infinitely more civilised than the full on camping thing.

If you are interested e-mail me & I’ll pass you the details of the B&B (besides the Crosses) where I did this.

Thanks everyone for your help. Looking forward to this summer!

I must confess we were indulging in luxury camping. Because we camp at the lay by it has picnic tables, and we had a full size gas powered barbecue with us, sofa beds, cases of wine and whiskey, so maybe we are not the ideal people to judge camping by.

And I thought I was soft bringing an air bed. You should have seen the stuff the rest of them had. I swear JfiddlerH has a four poster with him.

Hahah, Bliss. I am so crashing your campsite. LOL. 🙂

Alas we usually do not arrive until Thursday but you would be welcome for those three or four nights.

Last year a crowd of 4 girls kept asking us if we owned “those big tents with loads of room and we are sleeping in cars” and one of our trusty crew replied “I have a spare tent, it sleeps four”.

So you would be perfectly safe as well. From us anyway.

Sounds like good banter.

Camping

alright, went to willie clancy for the first time last year, playing fiddle and camping, so let me share my experience with you.
i arrived full of enthusiasm, pitched my tent on a football field on the lahinch road and headed off into town with my fiddle on my back. when i came back a couple of hours later, i discovered some tosser had been through my rucksack and pulled all the tent pegs out, was ragin! so i wouldn’t recommend camping rough, not unless you’re with a big group anyway.

i camped up on the ballard road, there’s a woman who’ll let you pitch your tent in her garden and use shower/toilet for ten euros a night. pretty safe place as there’s lots of people about, can get breakfast etc etc etc, would recommend it.

milton malbay to spanish point is less than half an hour’s walk, and you can usually hitch that anyway since lots of people are drivint out towards spanish point in the morning before classes.

anyway i say go for it, its great craic and you should learn a lot too… good luck

Posted by .

Anyone want a return lift from Fishguard? Ive arranged B&B
Jude12