Did Einstein Play Irish Music?

Did Einstein Play Irish Music?

Probably not- but how’s this for fusion?
A high-level illustrated lecture on Einstein, interspersed with live classical violin music, and followed by a concert (Mozart, Arvo Part, Cesar Franck). Given by Oxford physics professor Brian Foster, with violinist Jack Liebeck.
http://www.einsteinsuniverse.com/
http://www.oxfordtoday.ox.ac.uk/2008-09/v21n2/06.shtml
I went rather sceptical, but found it excellent.
You can book them to come to your school or organisation- don’t know about costs. Or look out for them around the country.

Re: Did Einstein Play Irish Music?

One report I read was that when he played in sessions he played reels so fast that his fiddle increased in mass to the extent that the floorboards broke and he was swallowed up in a big black hole in the ground. Also when he stopped playing he was 20 years younger than his twin brother.

I’m told that he only played in E, but at the speed of light ….

I believe he had terrible trouble keeping time.

That hole in the ground- wasn’t that where he dicovered the Hadron?

P-K—Really? I’d heard he was relatively good at keeping time.

I’ll leave now.

Ah, yes- reel time, maybe- but he was crap at jigs.

Is that a Berne out? You’ll be back…probably before we know it.

I hear he wasn’t fond of Rudall-Cartesian flutes……

Were they too heavy?

The pianist Artur Rubenstein was trying to practice a violin and piano sonata by Beethoven with Einstein (on violin) because they were supposed to perform this piece at a benefit concert for some charity.
Einstein kept making so many mistakes and coming in at the wrong time that finally Rubenstein became so frustrated that he asked the famous mathematician, "Are you unable to count to four, professor?"

I saw these guys giving their talk/recital on superstrings. It was a fascinating talk and the music was astounding. Not surprised at the less than serious response to this thread though.

Not so bad as his mate Heisenburg-you never new if he was going to play a jig or a reel

Hey diddle diddle
Schrodinger’s cat & Einstein’s fiddle…..

or am I barking up the wrong tree?

"Not so bad as his mate Heisenburg-you never new if he was going to play a jig or a reel"

Nor could you ever find him — you just knew he was in the general vicinity of the pub.

There are some good jokes and some tacky ones

When he told this story to an interviewer, Rubinstein insisted that the story which I contributed actually did happen.

I can see it now: "so tell me Mr Rubenstein, is there any truth in that story that Fauxcelt contributed to thesession.org?"
🙂

I do remember reading the story when I was a teenager somewhere in a newspaper or a music magazine which had reprinted the interview with Rubinstein. I do have a lot of respect for Einstein and his scientific achievements but I thought this amusing story made him seem human. I was told too many times by my teachers and the other adults in my life that Einstein was a genius whose abilities shouldn’t be questioned.
Since Rubinstein died in 1982, that would make it somewhat difficult to ask him whether or not this story is true.
Rubinstein was one of my musical heroes when I was a teenager although I wasn’t so ambitious that I wanted to be a concert pianist who performed in front of an orchestra.
Since then, I have learned that playing piano at a session is more enjoyable.
And, yes, I have performed as a solo pianist playing ragtime at a local music festival in front of hundreds of people. It was scary but enjoyable.

I will make some calculations and let you know.

As an unknown patent clerk, slaving all day designing shiny leather shoes and redrafting patents for the exponentially-expanding Swiss Army knife, young Albert Schmidt (as he then was) would wander down to the ‘stuble’ of an evening with his fiddle for a quiet game of darts and a pint, or the teutonic equivalent thereof (2 pints).
Having quaffed several of these foaming brews, he would launch into a frenzied medley of old Manhattan Tranfer hits, accompanied by a young Fritz Kreisler on bodhran.
The more he drank, the more mournful the tunes became: finally, he would lurch into a pitiful lament for the disappearance of his beloved classic car, the Standard Model, which he had inadvisedly put in for a minor accelerator repair to a dodgy local garage (Quantum Mechanics)- and which had never been seen again.
After that he would renew his cry for another large foaming beer "Noch Ein Stein, bitte!" (you can probably see now where this is heading…).
Not surprisingly, other pub habitués soon began calling him by this nickname, ‘Ein Stein’, which stuck and dogged him to his dying day.
And the moral of the story is….Das weiss ich nicht!

Not to be confused with Alfred Einstein (there - now I’ve seeded the confusion forever in your heads) who was an eminent German musicologist closely contemporaneous with Albert. Whether they were related is a moot point, but if they were their common ancestor would have been at least 7 generations back. I have not been able to discover whether Alfred’s command of mathematical physics was on a par with Albert’s command of the violin.

The photograph of Einstein sticking his tongue out was certainly taken by Cedric, a character known to the odd Session lurker besides myself.

Anybody who has seen Cedric’s photos will agree that it could not have been taken by anybody else. Nutters gravitate to his apparatus like fish to a lamp. I have seen this.

Maybe Einstein was able by sheer intellect and brain-crunching mathematical powers to by-pass the normal limitations of time and place and turn up in ours. It seems more likely, though, that Cedric did the same thing and turned up in Einstein’s commonly accepted era, by some purely innocent and entirely natural means, such as p*ssing on a cup-and-ring stone when the wind was anti-clockwise.

I can imagine Einstein being very fond of ITM and Kletzmer…

I’ve heard that story about Rubinstein and Einstein. It wouldn’t surprise me if it were true, for there has been a long history of unlikely mixes of the great and the good getting together to give charity concerts.

One of the more unexpected seems to have been the world famous cellist Mstislav Rostropovich and his equally famous compatriot the pianist Sviatoslav Richter playing as a duo in a charity concert. Fine, you might say, two of the world’s greatest musicians playing in a concert together, what could possibly go wrong? The thing was - they’d swapped instruments. Rostropovich was also a concerto standard pianist, but Richter on the cello … ahem! Let’s just say that the critics were unusually benevolent on that occasion.

That would just as bad as myself trading places with one of the fiddle players at our local sessions. I have heard this fiddler play piano and, since her day job is a music teacher, she is a competent and capable pianist but the same thing is most definitely not true about my ability to play the fiddle. I have learned that it is better for me to stick to playing the piano.