Help! Morris tune I.D. needed!

Help! Morris tune I.D. needed!

I’m hoping someone out there can help with this, it’s driving me mad! Does anyone out there know the name of the tune that Hunters Moon Morris use for their dance September the 4th? I’ve learned it by ear, but desperately need to find the dots for a beginner. Any one fom Hunters Moon on here?

Re: Help! Morris tune I.D. needed!

You would be better off asking on the Morris Dance Discussion List

Here is a link to the Hunter’s Moon Morris website, Freddy Frog:

http://www.huntersmoonmorris.co.uk/

Why not click their "contacts" link, and send them an email?

Alernatively, (and since you say that you know the tune) if you can email me the tune in abc format, I would be happy to produce the "dots" of it for you.

And hey, what about this one:

"How to find morris dancers in your area"

http://www.morrisdancing.org/finder/sfcgi.html

… I reckon that there’s scope here for a rival website:

"How to AVOID morris dancers in your area" …. 😉

I’ve already emailed them and got no reply. This post was pretty much my last desperate attempt to find out. I know there are lots of Morris people on here, I was just hoping someone would know so I don’t have to write out the dots for my beginner.
Thanks for your help anyway.

P.S Thanks for the offer Mix O’lydian, but If I do the abc I can put it through tune O tron (quicker to write the dots I think). It would be nice to know what the damn thing is called.
When our foreman asked to do the dance, their bod said he didn’t know the name of the tune, but assured her "your musicians will know it" (almost as if its a well known session tune). Unfortunately non of us did, and the better players have it by ear, but I have a beginner fiddler who wants to play for our side, and it takes ages to show him anything, whereas he can go away with the dots and learn it for himself.

Any chance of posting a quick mp3 somewhere?

Freddy - I don’t think that it can be a trad morris tune - looking at the site, it would seem that they are writing "new ones".

I didn’t see a post on the MDDL so I’ve put one up for you. Shall I copy replies to you or on the forum?

Mix - I can’t speak for this tune, but a lot of the time you’ll see sides using trad tunes with new dances.

Thanks for posting it up Paul, if you find out send me a email.
Cheers. Freddy.

@robharper - indeed, that’s also a possibility.

If someone could only "hum" it to me via this thread, providing that it’s a trad one I would almost certainly be able to identify it!

I could also post up a music score on the net.

If Freddy manages to find out what it is, I trust that he will let us all know via this thread.

I’m really curious about it myself now!

It’s going to take a while, but I’m going to post the abc for this tune, bear with me, I’m not very quick at abc…. will list it as september the 4th and see what you think…

I got this from MDDL

Try www.thomasbending.co.uk/torus/

(Don’t ask me to help. I didn’t write it, Thomas did.)

Wassail, Brian Bending

It’s a program that attemptsto identify tunes from the pattern. You enter ‘ups’ and ‘downs’. It might be worth a try.

I’ve just posted it up in the tunes section, if anyone wants to try and I.D. it….

Very nice tune and very easy to play. It sounds very familiar, so I’ll ask some folks who have better memories than me.

Tabby
p.s. I found this link from MDDL

It sounds very, if not typically, French…

A haunting little tune. I’ll take it to our practce tomorrow night to see if anybody knows it.

After playing it a few more times, I think it’s firmly in the Border tradition - it may even be traditional!

Well, this should have been flagged up as "Non - ITM content" but the word "Morris" is sufficient warning, I feel.
Do you mean to tell me there are people who play both ITM AND Morris ?
The mind truly boggles.
I’ve just met the Groanbox Boys.
Now there’s a mixed cultural set of musicians……..