PC troubles

PC troubles

After having had to format my hard drive and re-install Windows XP, update it etc, I am now left with a tiny window site when I open internet explorer or indeed any site. Can anyone tell me how to change this to full screen? Also, no matter what I do I cannot get Skype to work again. Have checked recording abilities in accessories/entertainment and it’s ok, but there is no playback when I run the echo test on Skype. Have tried all inc unticking box in Skype which allows it to contol mic. I have to contact someone by webcam on Mon and am hoping someone can help to get me up and running. Thanks

Re: PC troubles

Um…is this the Microsoft tech support site?

did you install xp from a disc that came with your computer? or do you have a CD with drivers on it which came with your computer? Sounds like you’re missing video and sound drivers - you might be able to find them online.

Regarding your first question:
————————————————————

When you open any application window (including an Internet Explorer window) there should be three symbols in a line at the top right-hand corner of the window.

- The symbol on the left minimises the window
- The symbol or the right closes the window
- The symbol in the centre toggles between the current window size and maximum window size.

Do you have these three symbols and, if so, is the symbol in the centre appearing as a single square, or is appearing as two overlapping squares?

If the middle symbol appears as single square, clicking on the symbol should maximise the window (what you are calling "full screen").

Regarding your second question
——————————————————————-

If you want help, you will need to provide more information.

You say that you have no playback sound from Skype. Do you have playback sound from other Windows applications (e.g. Windows Media Player)?

Please advise.

You can check to see how Internet Explorer is set to open in *Properties*
Go to the shortcut icon for Internet Explorer & right click your mouse.
Right click Properties
You should see
Run:
If it says Minimized change that to Maximized or Normal window
Click Apply & OK
Hope that helps.

Posted by .

No Gary, it’s not microsoft support site but I am badly stuck esp for the Skype site issue and was hoping that I could get some help. As it happens the Skype connection is needed for things musical so maybe? I have tried the tutorial page with no joy and have checked mic and speakers under hardware. I installed Windows XP from discs and am pretty sure I installed all the drivers. Yes, I have sound from all other systems such as Media Player. The reason I ask is that when downloading some of the up dates, I now sort of remember some note along the way somewhere to say that something didn’t support an echo test which didn’t mean anything to me at the time and it was only when I saw the description of the test call as being an echo test did alarms go off. The window opens with the three symbols alright and I can maximiise it no problem , it’s just I am trying to get it to open maximised all the time. Thanks

Have right clicked on internet explorer symbol and on properties but dont see any "run"

concertinaplayer -

1) Create a shortcut to Internet Explorer on the Windows desktop.

2) Right-click that shortcut, then choose "properties".

3) The "run" property is the second option from the bottom.

However, since you didn’t have the common courtesy to respond to the questions that I asked (which were necessary to progress the solution to your problems), that is the last help that you will ever get from me. … πŸ™

Ah jaysus Mix, that’s abit rough !! I did answer your question. I said that yes, I did have sounds from Windows Media Player. And I have a short cut on my desktop for Yahoo which is my default search engine. I have right clicked and believe me there is no "run". But if you want to hurt me that’s ok πŸ˜‰

Re: PC troubles (skype echo ?)

I’ll be right back after I grab some coffee. For now here is what I’m looking at in the *Properties* box for the Internet Explorer shortcut in the start menu.
http://www.windweaver.com/images/shortcut.GIF
It’s on the *Shortcut* tab
only difference is mine says Internet Explorer & has their icon.

The GIF is from this guide;
http://www.windweaver.com/w95man4c.htm

If I read this right you have tested the microphone & it works … sooooo the problem is the echo test.
Ouch! we lost Mix on this thread. I’ll thank you O’Lydian.

Now I’ll go for coffee & check back later.

Posted by .

concertinaplayer -j ust spotted your "media player" response.

I didn’t spot it before, because it was contained in a post which began:

"No Gary ….."

(I’m not Gary)

Forget the Yahoo shortcut for the minute. Create a NEW desktop shortcut to Internet Explorer. You should then see the "Run" properties (as mentioned by Random, and elaborated upon by me).

… and thank you for the "thanks", Random!

P.S. Have you learned that "Random Notes" jig yet? 😏

Ah I don’t think I am very good at this lads !! I did as you suggested Mix, deleted the icon on desktop and created a new one but opening yahoo page as my default iinternet explorer and then right clicking. However the problem happened again.But I can’t see this "run" no matter where I look. But the full page is there if I access the search engine from the start menu so it’s not the end of the world.If I could get Skype sorted for my meeting I’d be like a pig in sh*it. But thank you Mix and Random.

Re: PaCk up your troubles

The Random_____! A lovely jig if I do say so myself. Yes, I’m playing it. Haven’t worked up a set yet. Perhaps I’ll try a few tunes.
Check out track 9 below. I haven’t heard the recording. I’m sure it’s grand.
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/1515
Debateable Lands
Kathryn Tickell Band
April 16th 2005 by Unseen122

Posted by .

Not sure that I’m getting through to you or not.

Having created the new shortcut, don’t double-click it to open the window, but right-click it and check the properties.

@Random

At one of the sessions that I go to, it’s sometimes set with a tune called "The Seven Stars" - although the latter is only a 32-bar jig …..

Kathryn Tickell. Yes, met her once, some years ago. Plays Northumbrian smallpipes.

concertina player you’re right! I just created the big red Y! for a shortcut. For it’s properties they don’t give you the *Run:*
It is on my other shortcuts.
Now about this echo test, echo test.
No go, eh? To be sure ~ you tested your microphone & it worked on your computer ~ just not in Skype?

& this bit w/updates . . I now sort of remember some note along the way somewhere to say that something didn’t support an echo test which didn’t mean anything to me at the time and it was only when I saw the description of the test call as being an echo test did alarms go off., " …

Posted by .

Thank gawd,Random, I thought I was going mad. Well maybe I am anyway but at least you are experiencing the same with the big red Y. I must look up this Random jig..never mind small windows being opened !! Yeah, I did have Skype working just fine and when I had to re-do hard disc( thanks to certain so called technicians from an anti virus company beginning in M and ending in ee) I was downloading all the stuff that had been up dated to XP service pack 2 since I installed it and flying along, trying to un tick some boxes for the sneaky stuff and tick other boxes, I did see this "doesn’t support an echo test" But what it was, I can’t remember and now nothing I do seems to get it back. Have tested mic and playback ion the accessories, you can see that the mic is working in Skype because the "green line" changes but no playback on the test. But look thanks again. I just thought it might ring a bell as it were with someone. Must have a look at the Random jig !!

concertina player - I think that I got through to you in the end - at least, with regard to the shortcut properties.

BTW, the Random Jig (or Random Notes jig) is considered to be something of a standard party-piece for - guess what - concertina players!

To be precise, by English concertina players (as opposed to Anglo concertina) players.

No reason though why you couldn’t play it on an Anglo though - if that is indeed what you play.

Ah Mix you’re very hard on me. I had been right clicking on the big red Y since the word go to find this run and it wasn’t there !! Jaysus I could have learnt the Random jig in that time and yes it would be on the Anglo.But like I say, thanks anyway.

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?
HaHaHaHa

profound wisdom there

Hard on you, concertina player - I don’t think so!

You say that you "kept clicking on the big red Y" ….

But I suggested that (rather than do that) you should create a NEW Internet Explorer shortcut on the Windows desktop, and right-click that instead to access the "run" properties.

In fact, I mentioned that twice!

Yes, Mix and I did create a NEW internet explorer short cut on the desktop-twice in fact and neither times was there a run option as random has also found. There is no run option. As I said thank you for trying to help but will yea stop trying to insist that there is a feature there when there patently isn’t. I’m having enough trouble as it is πŸ˜‰

OK, concertinaplayer. If you did, that’s fine.

But you didn’t make it clear that you had done so - hence my annoyance!

And, out of interest, why did you format your hard drive and rebuild from scratch anyway? That would only have been necessary if the hard drive physically failed.

Did it?

Ah Mix but I did tell you !! Check above just before you and Random were discussing the jig. Well I don’t know a lot about computers buti did it because I was left with no other choice- that I knew of. I am sure that others who are knowledgeable on this stuff could have sorted it but I couldn’t.I had a security package installed courtesy of M** ee and it stopped operating. They convinced me it was a virus, which I very much doubted, and when I let them work on the PC they made a mess of it, left PC hardly working and with still no security package working.Long story. But I just decided to start again. All is fine now, I have Avast on as anti virus and the machine is working a dream- apart from Skype that is. But it will get sorted eventually. Probably not for Monday and I will have to cancel my session but it’s not the end of the world. Thanks again

Well, concertinaplayer, just before Random and I were discussing that jig you said:

"I did as you suggested Mix, deleted the icon on desktop and created a new one but opening yahoo page as my default internet explorer and then right clicking."

But that wasn’t *precisely* what I suggested that you should do. But no matter.

Glad to hear that it wasn’t the end of the world! But check out this tune:

https://thesession.org/tunes/9151

Re: piping & troubles

Since we’re going for titles here’s 1 of your submissions which I enjoy;
https://thesession.org/tunes/8724
" When The Battle Is Over "
July 18th 2008 by Mix O’Lydian
Recordings of a tune by this name:
* Father And Son Of Scotland by Jimmy Shand Jnr

very nice mix;)

is there a version of end of the world with 1 or 2 *more* octaves?

Posted by .