Music teacher in the family

Music teacher in the family

How many of you grew up in a family where one parent or both parents were music teachers? And did that help and/or encourage (or discourage) you to become a musician also?
I became interested in playing music because my mother was a piano teacher who had a bachelor’s degree in music education. She began teaching me to play the piano when I was seven and I still enjoy playing the piano.

Re: Music teacher in the family

Mom and Dad both loved music and the radio was on all the time; classical, show tunes, big band swing, even Lawrence Welk and Liberace on the TV. (!) Neither could read music or play an instrument, but Dad sang in parish choirs his whole life. Both supported me in my music as best they could. Now, I’m a music teacher and all four of my kids play.

My husband and I are both music teachers. As such, we never forced our kids to play music. All three of them played in band and orchestra in school, we never forced them to practice. The two boys played violin, and our daughter played saxophone. They don’t really play those particular instruments anymore, but all three play music everyday. The daughter has a vocal scholarship (although she is studying business) for college, the boys play in bands, guitar and drums. Music is extremely important in all of their lives. and of course, are quite talented. ; )

Pop went to Temple in Philly, year behind Bill Cosby. Majored in music. He went in photography professionally but still taught on the side. I’ve actually dragged him out of musical lethargy and now he’s playing the whistle at sessions.

He was so worries I’d get frustrated when I was 7 and told him I wanted to play the violin."Are you sure? I have all these other things that are easier to play…" Heh heh heh. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dad was a gifted amateur pianist (good enough to play concertos in public in the ’30s), but WWII and its aftermath put paid to that. He didn’t return to playing in public until middle age when he was a church organist in West Wales for many years. He never taught, and said once he didn’t consider himself a teacher. Mum had a teaching diploma and taught piano, violin and cello in the ’30s, but again WWII worked its horrors and she didn’t take up teaching again until she was 60, when she had a very successful career as a private piano and music theory teacher in West Wales well into her ’80s.
Mum and Dad never attempted to teach me, both being of the opinion that a child was best taught by an independent teacher from outside the family - a bit like a husband being most ill-advised to teach his wife to drive ๐Ÿ™‚. They both encouraged but never forced. However, they’d often look in on my piano or cello practice and give me advice. Dad used to take me to concerts and piano recitals in the ’50s.

My dad plays the guitar, but he’s never forced music into me. I did try and learn guitar but it wasn’t the one for me so now I play piano and fiddle, plus some windy things on the side. ๐Ÿ™‚

No teachers in the family, but my dad played trumpet and loved to sing songs, and mom wasn’t good at music, but encouraged us all, and every one of my brothers played at least one instrument, and most of us two or three. My one regret is that we didn’t do enough playing together as a family, most of it was in school bands and such….

Thank you for your replies.

More Mr. FC…

One of my fondest childhood memories is my Dad and my Uncle (Ma’s bro) sitting around the living room singing and playing guitar, Dylan, Lightfoot, Guthrie. My Dad would also often sit at the piano and run through everything from classical to rag time.

So to answer the question directly, yes, it almost seems inevitable that I would also be a musician, due to all this.

I’m the only one of my parent’s children who isn’t a music teacher. I was an austerity period child and my mum and dad had to take what they could get (everything was on ration in those days)!
My dad has always had a deep love for music (he hitched to hear Glenn Miller at a USAF base in East Anglia once, and went to hear Dame Myra Hess in London at abou the same time) and always encouraged us to learn to play, though one of my sisters let the side down by learning the oboe, rather than a proper instrument (ie strings).

My mother and myself are the only musicians in my family.
My father did teach me to appreciate and listen to a wide variety of music although he doesn’t play any instrument himself.
I have three younger sisters and no brothers and none of my sisters ever bothered or tried to learn to play an instrument.
None of my wife’s family play any instruments.

I see a few interesting threads here, faux. My mom is the musical one in our family. Dad could not carry a tune in a bag, and his idea of high culture would be Spike Jones wearing a tie.
We all grew up listening to my mom singing Broadway show tunes most of the day at home, in between the wailing babies and sibling warfare (there were 11 of us by time she was done). She made sure every one of us had some type of formal training on an instrument, and a number of us sang in church and school choir.
It’s pretty clear to me that most of us have had some sort of exposure to performing music at home. In my opinion, music, like poetry, results from a virus that manages to encode itself into our genetic material. For reasons that will probably one day be revealed by the genome crowd, a certain percentage of humans are immune to the virus, and if they mate with other immunes, generations will pass with no musicians in the family. I think my dad was one of those immunes, and some of my siblings got at least a portion of that resistance. My older brother and I both took brass lessons. I went on to play tuba, then stringed instruments and singing. The brother learned how to play Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White at age 13, then never played or sang again. But if you put a horn in his hand, he can still play it! Now one of his kids has taken up electric bass. Of my five sisters, 4 developed concert level piano skills, while the fifth quit the parish band after 3 baritone horn lessons, and never played or sang another note. She became a painter and sculptor. But her son grew up to become a singer. So what about your own kids? Two of mine are great singers and songwriters, while the third is amusical. As per previous theory, it seems to me that exposure is the key element, but whether it takes or not depends on some genetic roulette.

My father taught organ.

He tried to teach me, but our personalities did not work.

How I ended up being able to play the blasted ‘Queen of instruments’ is beyond me.

It’s interesting now…taking lessons in my mid-fifties. II can’t tell if I am more patient or my teacher is.

"Dad could not carry a tune in a bag, and his idea of high culture would be Spike Jones wearing a tie."

I rarely burst out into laughter from reading on the internet, but… Thank you, even though I now have coffee to clean up.

On topic though - both my parents are music teachers, and music has therefor been a major part of my life. Always had a large arsenal of instruments around, so it’s been natural to pick something new up each year to toy with. My kid brother is "studying" music at university level, but I myself am the "black sheep" of the family who decided to go for civil engineering instead. Doesn’t prevent me from playing though.

I am the oldest of four and have three younger sisters and no brothers. All three of my sisters had the same opportunity to learn how to play the piano that I did but they weren’t interested. However, the oldest of the three sisters does like to paint.
When my mother went to college, she really wanted to major in English and/or journalism but she had to major in music because her parents were paying for her education. My mother’s parents felt that music teacher was an appropriate and suitable occupation for a woman. They made my mother take piano lessons and her brothers play sports because they thought that was appropriate for their gender.
My wife and her sister both like to sing but neither one of them plays any instruments.
Since we don’t have any children (yet), we don’t know whether or not any of them will be interested in music. My wife definitely wants to have at least one child before she becomes too old to have children.
My father was born and raised in Oklahoma. His parents liked to listen to Jimmie Rodgers (The Singing, of Yodeling, Brakeman) as well as Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys> Despite this, my father still developed a taste for so-called "classical" music and his favorite composer is Beethoven. My father has a bachelor’s degree in Geography and a master’s degree in metereology. He wanted me to go into one of the sciences like him but I surprised him because I was more interested in music.