Happy St Patrick’s Day!

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

Seeing that I am awake at this anti-social hour, and you lot are of course at the forefront of my mind - top of the morning to you! (And the rest of the day as well).
Lots of love, Mehit xox

Re: Happy St Patrick’s Day!

just back from a session, so Happy St Patrick’s Day to you too, mehitabel

It’s gonna be a good one!

It’s a highly sociable time here in NZ - I’m just off to afternoon smoko here at work - tonight we play a 3-hour gig at "The Meetings" for the drunk St Patrick’s day crowd. Looking forward to it as its my first gig playing my new Forbes Delrin flute. Happy St Pat’s to the rest of the world.

It’s still a reasonably social hour here on the Canadian prairies… Happy St. Paddy’s Day to everyone!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

They have internet in Wales?

Posted .

Beannachtai La Fheile Padraig daoibh! Tosoidh ar seisiun i leith uaire a chloig.

Happy St. Paddy’s Day everyone. Gearing up for the only session in Bangkok in half an hour!! Sup ‘til ya "hup"!

Happy St Patrick Day to all.

Heading into Glasgow to watch some Hurling and Football accompanied with a few pints of Stout. Hopefully I’ll stumble across a good session some where along the line as well… What more could ye want.

Slan

St Patrick’s Day never used to be celebrated by any, save the Irish community one supposes, when I was a kid here in South London. I never knew it existed apart from knowing "the Saint’s Days" 1st March, 17th March, 23rd April, 30th November. No one ever mentioned them and they certainly didn’t "do" anything. I suppose the ocasional Welsh PE teacher might have (with his tongue in his cheek) worn a leek or daffodil on St David’s, but that was about it.

Now it’s turned into the third worse day in the year (after the last day of work before Xmas and the truly dreadful New Year’s Eve).
Eveyone and his dog drinking green Guinness, getting terribly p*ssed, wearing Guinness marketing paraphanalia…
Pubs stuffed with p*ssed South Africans, Australians, rugby fan types et al.
A day blown out of all proportion by anyone who thinks they have some shred of imagined Irish heritage. It must be even more horrid in parts of Amerika (since about 50% you meet there imagine that they are Irish)

Most would agree that a traditional Irish music session in a pub has to be one of the emblematic images/ events of paddy’s Day. My local session is on a Tuesday. But because the Guinness marketing day (or St Patrick’s Day if you like) falls on that day this year, it was decided to hold the session on the wednesday this week. We know it would be impossible to have a half decent session with all the amateur drinkers invading the place. How ironic it that?

A Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all fellow Yellowboarders.
"Most would agree that a traditional Irish music session in a pub has to be one of the emblematic images" - well there’s also the back of a lorry (gig-rig) session where I’m heading in the next 15 minutes. If any of you are in Ennis reading this now, please head down to the Courthouse with your instrument and come and join us for the few tunes. There’ll be no pints but the sun is beaming down at the minute so that should be incentive enough!

Sounds good Bannerman - Wish I was there!! :-)

Couldn’t agree more Krick. St. Patrick’s day is a commemoration of a Christian saint not just an excuse to go out and get wasted. How many will celebrate the ‘saint’s’ day by going to Church (if you are Christian) I wonder?
Being Irish is for all the year not just March 17th. I wonder what the saint himself would have made of it all?

Rant over, have a good day and God bless us all, everyone.

Is it not poetic justice that as all the big christian festivals of the year were appropriations from earlier beliefs’ festivities, that these festivities are now appropriated by the new belief system of capitalist consumerism?

Posted .

Among some of the musicians I know there is a thought that if you can’t get a gig on Paddy’s Day you must be bad and if you get offered one and you take it you must be mad and/or bad

And a good one to all of you as well. Last night’s session had quite a crowd- SIX bodhrans all flailing away at the same time, and since I got there late I was behind them and could hardly hear the group; the leader actually had to conduct us to keep the whole group together, imagine that.

Re: Happy Guinness Marketing Day!

Llig: continuing your appropriation of religion theme.
Don’t you think that "in the wall" ATMs are rather like Buddhist, Catholic or Hindu roadside shrines where the faithful come and qietly, quickly and privately pay homage?

Yes, very good that, I’d never thought of that. Card carrying capitalists, whether we like it or not.

Posted .

and without making any kind of political point, merely anthropological, I wonder is there any sub conscious correlation between the £ and the C of E, with the € and Rome?

Posted .

Hey little cuz Mehitabel, good to hear you still poke your nose in here from time to time though you’ve been mute a while now! A lot of people miss your witty contributions. Happy St Pat’s to you too.

Happy St Patrick’s day everyone
"Most would agree that a traditional Irish music session in a pub has to be one of the emblematic images"
So here in Ballydehob we’re having a special Patrick’s day session at 6p.m. (all welcome if you’re in the area) and before that, as the sun is shining here, I might pop into Skibbereen to watch some of my fiddle pupils who are playing in the parade.

In the spirit of last week’s thread about Red Nose Day, why don’t we just rename St Patrick’s Day: Green Lager Day. Tomorrow with all the hangovers, we could have Grey Complexion Day.
Just joking, Happy St.Patrick’s Day to those who take that stuff seriously.

Ha Ha, lol Krick.

True enough llig, though speaking as a Christrian I would love to see religions actually getting back to core beliefs and teachings. Where does it say that it is necessary to have a parade for any reason in any of the world religions? Or have I missed something?
As I said Irishness is a year round thing not just for the day.
I suppose St Pat’s day, like all the other ‘days’ is now just another marketing opportunity. What ‘belief system’ would you associate the $ with?

A Christrian? huh?

Happy St Patrick’s Day to you all. I’m off now to play a trad session in a pub which will include St Patrick’s Day and ‘The Knights of St Patrick. Still haven’t got around to learning the reel St Patrick’s Night. Should practice more really.

Krick
I can’t remember the artist…I think he was from NYC…but he came up with the idea of a kind of AtM confessional….he installed a few around the city someplace….where you could be absolved on-the-go etc…it didn’t dispense money…just absolution. Pretty amusing that.

ah here we go…he/she is from Yugoslavia it turns out. but appears to have exhibited mostly in U.S.

T a n j a S k a l a ‘s

ABSOLUTION MACHINE

27” X 25” X 55”

U.S. Mailbox, Paper Shredder, Confession Form I-1CNR/c, Sensor, Audio Device
Tanja Skala 2006.

My most recent piece entitled "Absolution Machine" is an interactive mechanical device that upon receipt of Confession Form I-1CNR/c disposes of the document by shredding it and triggers a recorded voice stating, " You have been absolved"
Confession Form I-1CNR/c contains a wide range of multiple-choice options starting with Christian version of seven deadly sins and expands to include a section that addresses contemporary issues i.e. prejudice, terrorism, fear etc.

Confession is a manifestation of human consciousness, governed by societies norms and one’s individual notion of right and wrong. The mere act of acknowledging the facts provides absolution. My objective in creating this piece is to offer the viewer a cathartic experience of self-reflection.

http://tanjaskala.com/_wsn/page5.html

mtodd

Perhaps you could have an ATM type thing that took money OFF your debit card and issued a piece of paper that doubled as a reciept and an indulgence from the Pope or whoever?

(we crossed posted then!)

I’m not sure that religions (christians anyway, and certainly not muslims) do stray much from their core beliefs and teachings. The necessity of parades and festivities comes from the human desire for such and as I said, religious missionary zeal merely appropriates the festivities as evangelistic vehicles. People wanna party. It’s why the few religions that ask for 24/7/364 restraint are not globally popular.

And why capitalism is the world’s dominating deity. It’s very heart abhors restraint. The $ is a belief system in itself. The £, € and ¥ etc. are mere denominations. (ask yourself, are the two meanings of the word just a coincidence?)

I think that what you have missed is the human conditions’ ability to invent belief systems, not a belief system’s ability to teach truth.

Posted .

Where I’m from you’d better sing lots of country music and rebel songs if you want to gig a lot on St Pats, especially in the bars. Fine if you like that sort of thing. I hate it. I didn’t take up traditional music (and piping in particular) to end up playing fills in the middle of Black Velvet Band, Whisky in the Jar, or The Fields of Athenry. Paying dues my foot. It’s torture. I’ll take gigs on my own terms or not at all.

For those of you able to mark the day by playing in a nice session pub or a kitchen, I wish I could join you, especially Bannerman’s gathering in Ennis. Sounds like terrific fun.

For them that want to stay at home and read a book, fair enough.
For them that are happy to take an excuse to have a merry time on a Tuesday, fair enough.
I’m out to play a pub gig later, and it’ll be a hoot and we’ll get paid, so fair enough.

Didn’t quite understand your GBP / EUR / RCT post Michael, but as the saying runs in Spanish, "Dinero es buen Catolico," "Money is a good Catholic."

Huzzah! Got two gigs today where I’ll try to force some culture inbetween eejits drunk on green beer hollering the The Wild Rover and Danny Boy! Sounds awful? You’re right! Horrible! Am I going to turn my nose up at money? Are you crazy?

Ah well, getting paid, free beer & food, and Sunday session is just a few days away… ;-)

Wow, this looks like a great discussion, but unfortunately I must away now. The intoxicated legions eagerly await. "…and it’s no, nay, never…"

Yeah yeah, I say that every year then someone wags some $ in my face. Sigh. :-P

Does anyone want to own up to being the excellent trio in Leadenhall Market ( London, EC1) this lunchtime. Well done.

Speaking of truth….once in a grad level course of Marshall McLuhan’s, MM made some statement or other to which one of the student’s piped up "But surely Prof. McLuhan, that’s only a half truth?" To which he replied, "A half truth is a lot of trut!."
Many a good bon mot in Mr. McLuhan’s class.

Happy St. Pat’s, all…
Here in college town, USA, it’s a good day to stay out of the bars and off of the roads (unless you’re working). However, morbid curiosity might get me down to my local (which opened at 7:00 am today) and is advertising "Irish" music all day and evening. No session, though, or any of my mates that I know of in the bands. I hope that it’s not that gawdawful "alt-country".
I wish that I could hit Bannerman’s gathering, it sounds like a hoot.
Cheers!
Tom

Posted by .

It was a hoot tom, for once its a gorgeous sunny Paddy’s day across the country. We dont get many of those!!
One slight criticism about Ennis parade though, apart from the bould Patsy’s Seachtain na Gailge crew, I didnt see any trad playing (except on the stages) Other years the music teachers and their students join in the procession…
Ah well, We’ll be in Woody’s for a tune at 6 so all welcome & all aboard!!
Happy drinkfest to all!

Anyone still conscious Down Under?…!….?

Banjoburger - "…its a gorgeous sunny Paddy’s day across the country…" Yup, it’s supposed to get up into the mid 60’s here today. Since I’m "working" from home today, methinks I’ll throw open the windows and get some much-needed fresh air into the Batchelor Pad…
"…We’ll be in Woody’s for a tune at 6 so all welcome & all aboard!!" - now I AM jealous!
Have a GREAT time!

Posted by .

The notion of a "St. Patrick’s Day" celebration and parade originated either in Boston in 1761 or in New York in 1762. It is an American eastern seaboard festival which later spread to places where it has far less meaning.

All pretenders and late-comers to this civic celebration (the Irish, etc.) should simply go to work today and content themselves with reading in tomorrow’s papers how citizens along America’s eastern seaboard celebrated this bleary-eyed day of chest-thumping (now approaching its 250th year of commemoration).

What inexplicable festivals will people appropriate next? Will the long line of Middle Eastern virgin birth stories be used to concoct some gift-giving holiday in the dead of winter?

I, Monsieur Le Provocateur, have failed to provoke. I stand before you all, chastened.

Well, the St Paddy’s night was a great one. Yes we did play Danny Boy and Irish Rover and Butterfly and Kesh Jig for the drunken patrons. But they were well behaved generally, and they sung along and danced and were happy, and when we got out our low whistles and played a serious wee set or two they listened and clapped and cheered at the end. I couldn’t ask for more than that.

Stay off the Guinness -
and a ”’ Happy Saint Pats to you All ”’ …….

lol… jim,,

Bredna - precisely - you try and squeeze in some of the "pure drop", so to speak, in between bellowing out the pub tunes. To me, it sounds like a great time!
Cheers,
Tom

Posted by .

How come St. Patrick’s Day was a going concern in the USA a hundred years or so before the Catholic Irish got there?

(I thought the latter only really arrived in numbers from the Famine onwards.)

Mind, I’m aware history is full of surreal eddies and parallel universes, so wait to be enlightened.

Or maybe the early Prods brought him over to scare the snakes, just in case Protestantism didn’t.

It’s a bit of a disappointment that the newest tunes, which are for St Paddy’s day, don’t have the sheet music ready so they can be played on this day!

Yes yes, we all need the sheet music to play tunes. Right everyone!?

No need for sarcasm……I was expressing my own opinion……I ‘do’ need sheet music.

There are two ironies in how I spent my St Patrick’s Day, how I spend all my St Patrick’s Days:

1) I never have so much as a drink: I’m working all day and I don’t like to drink on the job

2) I play Highland pipes all day. In a kilt. No one wants to hear the uilleann pipes though I also play those.

This year I was contracted by a restaurant/bar chain to drive from location to location, from 11am to 8pm, playing a 45 minute set and then moving on.

But at least I play more Irish tunes on the GHB than most Scottish pipers do…at least the ones that sort of fit on that most limited instrument….

Yes it’s interesting that New York City had a St Patrick’s Day Parade back in the mid-18th century. I wonder how many Irish there were in NYC at that time… 15 or 20?

Last year I watched that NYC St Patrick’s Day Parade on TV. It was amazing, hour after hour, dozens and dozens of pipe bands playing Scottish pipes in Scottish costume… The wrongness of it all!

Played last night. Typical St P’s day, the high;lights were a 10 minute rendition of "The Fields of Athenry" and a member of the audience getting up and singing "American Pie". The latter brought the house down.

nicholas, Catholics were here in the US from the earliest of days, although the folks up in Massachusetts didn’t let them in until much later (contrary to popular belief, the pilgrims didn’t come here to find religious freedom, they came to practice their own brand of intolerance). In fact, the state of Rhode Island is, to this day, the most Catholic state in the US, because its founders DID believe in religious freedome.
Anyways, enough of that, sorry I didn’t get to wish you all a Happy Saint Patrick’s Day yesterday, but I was out playing for a Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick banquet, and a good time was had by all, they gave their annual scholarship to a fine young woman, and for the first time, the Man of the Year was a woman, a nun who works on literacy programs. Every year they hand out door prizes, and this year it was a commemorative pint glass, with the prize winner’s names inscribed. Although, the organizers did admit that inscribing a beer glass with the name of an underaged girl and a nun, while it seemed like a good idea at the time, was going to produce a lot of slagging in the long run!