Recurrent words in titles

Recurrent words in titles

I’m French and there are a few recurrent words I don’t exactly understand in Irish tunes names… like:

- Boxty
- Craig
- Humours of…
- so-and-so’s Fancy
- so-and-so’s Favorite (even though I can guess)
- Banks of… (even though I can guess).

I suppose that the 2 last ones just mean what they mean…

Posted by .

Re: Recurrent words in titles

Boxty: a potato cake made by frying a batter made with potato starch, eggs, and grated potatoes.

Craig: is a lowland Scots family name. My grandmother’s maiden name was Craig.

Humours of …

"Humours of" implies some memory of a place or time, happy, sad, or indifferent.

So-and-so’s-favorite implies a tune much beloved and often played by a particular musician.

Banks of…

Rivers have banks, or edges, if you will. You have to rely on context sometimes to distinguish the meaning of bank, the edge of a river, from bank, a financial institution that lends money and charges interest.

Craig is also used as a forename in Scotland (and also now, elsewhere).

Craig in Welsh (similar to Breton) means a rock or cliff.

Fancy - similar to favourite, but I think that this word was also used historically to denote a certain kind of dance (and thus, the tune that was played for it).

Humours - lots of discussions here on the session (use the search facility) - including one fairly recently.

Another thought - "banks" is also sometimes used in tune/song titles connection with flowers:

e.g. Banks of Red Roses
e.g. Banks of Sweet Primroses

So, in this context "banks" means a large group - not necessarily on the bank of a river - although it might be!

Dont forget the reel ‘The Bank of Ireland’ which is a building that has very little money in it at the moment.

We used to play the tune and say ‘there’s a lot of notes in it’

Posted .

Perhaps you meant ‘planxty’ rather than ‘boxty’?

kilafarboy - don’t you mean that you play the tune and there used to be lots of notes in it … 😉

When I was first starting out there was a particular tune I wanted to learn that I’d heard. I kept buying tunebooks that appeared to contain it, but it was never the right tune.

IIRC the penny dropped for me when I bought Ceol Rince na hÉireann vol 1 & realised just how many tunes were called "gan ainm".

Surely the most popular tune title in the music.

For what it is worth, the tune I was actually looking for was "Tuttles" (Reel).

- chris

Where I live, a bank, can mean any slope, possibly grassed over or planted with flowers.

Was gan ainm written by A Non?

And Ann Swithenbank is a gardening expert on BBC TV ‘s "Gardeners World!

Gan Ainm was written either by Anonymous or his dog, Author Unknown.

A bit clearer now, thx

Posted by .