bowing query for ‘The Gold Ring #2’ (in D)

bowing query for ‘The Gold Ring #2’ (in D)

i mean the 4 part jig that begins with a roll on the G string.
question:
is this tune single-bowed pretty much all the way through? it seems choppy when i do it that way, but every time i try to slur any notes it just sounds wrong.

and maybe this is just the tune to smooth out my single bowing…

Re: bowing query for ‘The Gold Ring #2’ (in D)

Depends on your style, but single bowing all the way can get boring to listen to - and to do. What do you mean by that it ‘just sounds wrong’, and when does it happen (slurring when crossing strings or every time?).

after the roll, i fall into a pattern slurring two notes up-bow and down-bowing the third note in the phrase. i don’t see a good (natural sounding) way to avoid it once i start.
i’m hoping there are fiddlers who play this tune a lot, who have ideas about this specific tune. i haven’t run into the problem with other tunes.

Does this mean that you never slur across the bar lines? Something to consider for a change, it gives the music a kind of ‘forward thrust’ which is typical.

Hi Matt!

Hard to talk about bowings like this. 🙂 I find in this tune that I tend to slur into the barlines a lot (actually, more often than other tunes), slur the 6th eighth note to the first, and also the 3rd to the 4th… the parts that go gbg f#af# I tend to slur in groups of three, but not always certainly… but you know me, I don’t often single bow a lot of notes in a row. T.J.

thanks henk, yes i do slur across bar lines, but this particular tune is just resistant to that. my question is not one of general practice, but specific to the tune.

ah, hi, t.j. — how’s life in beerland? i’ll monkey around with it, and maybe i’ll just loosen up the pattern bit by bit. don’t know why this tune has me so buffaloed.

my thanks to both of you.

ah, hi, t.j. — how’s life in beerland? i’ll monkey around with it as you suggest, and maybe i’ll just loosen up the pattern bit by bit. don’t know why this tune has me so buffaloed.

my thanks to both of you.

oops, sorry.

Beerland is pretty awesome, really 😉 Good to hear from you

I slur into the downbeat mostly and also often leave out the
second note of each triplet group, cutting the downbeat off very
short (occasionally, not every time of course). This would sound
lifeless single bowed, would have no lift.

Listen Andy McGann or John Carty’s recordings of it. I prefer
McGann’s clear, simple version.