For Sale: Old Grey Paolo Soprani

Re: For Sale: Old Grey Paolo Soprani

Crazy Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 days to go !!!! I’d hate to speculate what price will end up at.

Posted by .

That’s a beauty free reed, and the box aint bad either ha ha! Do you still have it?

One has to wonder. Based on the condition and quality of some of the repairs, particularly the electrical or duct tape on the strap, this box has a lot of miles and the owner did not have the interest or income to make proper repairs.

That’s well over $3000 USD for a rehabilitation project.

Button Box - That box travelled many miles with me before it was eventually traded into Bell Accordions in Surbiton for a green Galanti. That in turn was traded in for a Red Paolo. I still have the payment cards and photos for all three boxes. That’s how I remember the prices.

How did the red compare to the grey?

To tell the truth the reds were more popular, at least there were more of them around in the sixties. I never remember anybody saying that a grey was better that a red in those days. The prices were the same depending on the number of voices. The demand for old grey boxes seems to have gathered momentum over the past twenty or so years. I’m inclined to call it ‘The Jackie Daly Syndrome’ ……Maybe they are rare because there wasn’t so many grey ones made at the time. Individual taste I suppose. On reflection I always thought that the buttons on those early Red boxes were bigger, more rounded, and closer to the keyboard than the Grey Box Buttons. Better action.

On the playability, the Red box does have bigger buttons and is an allround more playable box. However, it is slightly bigger & heavier than the grey 3v and, in my humble opition, no box comes close to the grey soprani for sound quality and absolute clarity.

I agree with that Jonathan but would add that the tuning has a large part to play in this also. If you have an almost dry tuned grey (ala Mick McAuley) you loose that Paolo sound. Compare that to the wet sound of Charlie Harris’ grey Paolo (Youtube clips) and you’re at the other extreme. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet tone of McMahon’s box and thats the way I had mine tuned and boy is it sweet!! Might I add yours sounds amazing too.

Posted by .

Recession, what recession? The price that box went for is crazzzzzzzzzy!!!

Jonathan

That is bonkers, and how much will they spend restoring it? I imagine it will cost at least another 1 or 2 thousand probably more!

At least 2K to get it into tip top shape, new reeds, bellows, padding, tuning and general tidy up …

Will be interesting to see if that box comes on the market again, and what kind of money it will sell for.

Re: For Sale: Old Grey Paolo Soprani (on Craigslist now?)

Looks like the same box (or at least a similar description) surfaced 5/31:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/msg/1198040631.html

"2 Row, Old Grey Paolo Soprani Button Accordion - $2950

This accordion is an early 1950 ,s probably 1950-1952., Overall condition is fairly good for its age .The tuning is BC ,The body of the box is complete,and as far as I can see, free of woodworm The bellows are still remarkably good for their age
While it is still playable,this accordion will require a complete overhaul,tuning new air valves etc to bring it back to its former glory .

Drop me an email if you wish to view some pictures

it’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1198040631"

Posted by .

Just appeared on ebay today https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174326256494

Same punctuation errors in the description:

"This accordion is an early 1950 ,s probably 1950-1952., Overall condition is fairly good for its age .The tuning is BC ,The body of the box is complete,and as far as I can see, free of woodworm The bellows are still remarkably good for their age"

Beware