ITM teacher from Ireland wanted for teaching gig in Sydney Australia

ITM teacher from Ireland wanted for teaching gig in Sydney Australia

Hi Everyone,

The Irish National Association here in Sydney has recently announced a scheme to bring out a teacher from Ireland. If you teach the music and would be interested in this great way to see our sunny part of the world, please see info below from the organisers.

(i’m not an organiser by the way, just thought it was a great idea and thought i’d pass it on - don’t email me about it!)

Irish music teacher needed
Sydney Australia

Applications are invited for a person to teach Irish traditional music in classes at the Irish Gaelic Club in Sydney, and to also play music in a weekly session, for a period of at least 6 months.

Who is organising this
The Irish National Association (INA) and the Irish Gaelic Club are non-profit community organisations in Sydney which promote Irish culture, including music, dance, language and literature. We have our own premises and bar area for teaching and social events.

How it works
For the music teacher selected, the INA will pay for the return air fare from Ireland to Sydney, provide a room in a household for the first month, and connect with music students, local music sessions, and other support.

What the teacher will do
The teacher will provide paid lessons for beginners and advanced, adults and children, mainly at the Irish Gaelic Club, for a total period of at least 6 months. They will earn their main income from the students’ lesson fees, and the teacher will also play music in a paid weekly session.

Skills needed
Highly skilled musician, competent in teaching, ability to organise, and general people skills. Fiddle and whistle are in greatest demand for lessons, but all instruments considered. Tends to best suit but is not restricted to a person under 30.

How to apply
Email applications outlining your skills and experience to irishgaelicclub@gmail.com and cc to paul.mortimer@iinet.net.au no later than 31 May 2009. Applications don’t need to be long, include contact email and phone numbers for yourself and two referees.

More information
You can contact us through the email addresses above, or by phone on 61 2 9558 2425. We’re happy to answer any questions, and if our contact person is not available when you ring, just leave your number and we’ll call you back.

Re: ITM teacher from Ireland wanted for teaching gig in Sydney Australia

Oi would loik to apploy for the job. Me main instrument is the bodhran, but I do a good line of lilting and can whistle as well.
I know all the tunes, even if I don’t know the names, nothin’ a pint or two of Guinness won’t fix. When do I start?

Over the years we’ve had some great irish trad players teaching music in Sydney and they’ve really been appreciated by the local players. Paul Mortimer [Mort] has been involved in organising things - he could give prospective applicants the names of teachers who’ve visited us under similar arrangements.

Well, I just happened to ask Mort about this… and here is a list, from the man himself, of previous teachers brought out to Sydney:

Eilish O’Connor
Maire O’Keeffe
Mary Shannon
John Hoban
Marion McCarthy
Michelle Powderly
Cath Custy
Josephine Marsh
Eimer Byrne
Nora Ni Raghallaigh

A GOOD LINE IN WHISTLING!! HAHAHA.. JEREMYS NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY, IM DRUNK ON HIS SITE AGAIN..I WUZ SPECIFICALLY WARNED AGAINST THAT

Souns lika great wee job! pity im sh ite r i wud have applied

AYE