Grinter or Hamilton / or the merits of both

Grinter or Hamilton / or the merits of both

Anyone have experience in playing either Hamilton or Grinter Flutes?Thought it would be an interesting topic , I know people who swear by both and I am undecided who to order from. Any ideas welcome

Re: Grinter or Hamilton / or the merits of both

Seems there is a exaustive amount of info on this topic aleady in the archives.. Although this has compounded difficulties as I am now considering a Doyle..

Easily compounded further by the availability of other flutes.

So, keyed or keyless? That might whittle it down a bit.

How about Glenn Watson, Norman Holmes/Bill McNaughton, Sam Murray, Patrick Olwell and plenty of others about the globe: http://www.firescribble.net/flute/makers.html

My suggestion is to see if you can find someone with flutes you are considering and try them out personally, or with an experienced flute player.

I have a Hamilton, and Hammy is great to work with, and his flutes seem to cut across a session with a unique tone. Martin Doyle’s flutes are capable of considerable expression - check out Desi Wilkinson’s tunes. And, to paraphrase an old saying about IBM, "Nobody ever got fired for buying an Olwell".

Keyless.. would prefer a relativly accesible maker ie in Ireland..So Hammy and Martin are definately on the Radar.
Owned a Murray , sold it.. Have been playing for about 5/6years and have a fairly well developed embouchure yet was never able to lip the Hard D required for satisfactory results from the Murray..As Sam himself said"Im not one of these f uckers that makes flutes for whistle players"..more power to him..I couldnt develop my technique around the instrument. The person who bought it is in love with it..Never played a Hamilton or a Doyle..Aware that there is a shop in Drumcondra that may have some of Martins flutes in stock as it would be graet to try before deciding to buy.. A wide comment I saw up on one of the boards was..dont just pick a big maker and order on the basis of the name..which is what I am reluctant to do..Cheers

wise# comment

Ask Hammy directly for sure, but I think it’s not at all unusual for his flutes to be built with a flat D. According to Hammy’s interview ( http://www.firescribble.net/flute/hamilton.html ), he indicates this tuning tendency is greater on Rudall design flutes (which would probably include Sam Murray) and less so on the Pratten designs (such as Hammy’s).

You’re thousands of miles closer than I to a variety of sessions and festivals where flute players can easily be ‘hunted’ (I mean found), and a little travel should provide you ample opportunity to (ask first) sample a variety of instruments to get a sense of not only what is available, but most likely to suit you.

Kevin Krell

Are Doyle flutes Pratten?

Grinter is heading over for his annual stint in Ennis (or he may be there already) - he’s there for about 4-6 months so would be well worth searching out. I’ve got one of his myself and love it to bits.

I think Martin Doyle’s flutes are of his own design. If you’re near Dublin, then they’re supposed to be stocked at Crehans ( http://www.crehans.ie/ )

As Kevin says, Doyle’s flutes are his own design. Ditto for Hammy - his flutes aren’t copies of anything. Hammy’s flutes have larger finger holes but not an especially large bore.
How can you say you "… have a fairly well developed embouchure yet was never able to lip the Hard D required for satisfactory results from the Murray" ? If your embouchure was developed then you’d be able to play the Murray in tune and with satisfactory results.
And why would you ask about Grinter if you "…would prefer a relativly accesible maker ie in Ireland."

possibly coz Mick Grinter’s been living in ireland half a year every year for the last, i dunno, six years at least?

If it’s any help, I have both a Hammilton and a Murray and I’d reckon if you have problems with low D on your old Murray, then you’ll have a harder time again with the Hamilton.

Posted .

I have a Hamilton six-key post mount and have logged about 5000 hours on it. I also have a collection of old flutes that are mostly too delicate to play seriously. The Hammy is a stunning instrument with a strong tone, quick response, loud bark or simple sweetness. It’s a demanding instrument because of it’s size and the shape - there’s only a head joint and barrell, body and foot joint - so there’s no option for adjusting the angle of the right or left hand position. You have to get used to this - but Hammy, being a brilliant player himself has devised a system of keys that is comfortable and efficient.

Originally, I considered an Olwell, but because of the ordering time, I figured I might pass away before I ever got to play it. I made a trip to Ireland and met with Hammy - and never looked back. I first took notice of Hammy’s flutes in the playing of Paul McGrattan and Conal O’Grada. (I never could play like Conal - so Paul’s influence is the direction I took).

Again, they are demanding instruments, but once you’re comfortable with it you won’t want to play anything else.
Good luck

Mabye I was to polite to say my old Murray was flat as a pancake Cocus,As was seconded by many better players than me Brendy Mullholland etc even when he lipped it to the MAX it fell short..So fack af and dont talk to me.. Ye win some ye lose some..Youd be fairly well advised to lose whatever it is youve got..Its a wonder you play at any sessions anywhere as your posts would suggest u are fairly devoid of Craic..Mike Grinter spends a good part of his time in Ireland as another poster mentioned. I think hes heading to dubai and then will be in Enis r sumwher for a couple of months..Im sorry if my post arn’t up to scratch for ye..
Thanks for the advice on the hamilton ie a similar amount of lipping required for the Hard D..Any knowlegde how Doyle Flutes compare in that regard..? Cheers

Whats the Grinter like in terms of the Embourchure Sir Nose? do u have to fairly lip the Hard D again? Brendy gave me a wack at his few moths back but I forget what it was like plus didnt play it for long enuf..Some helpful responces in ther cheers

I find your posts rude Cocus and dont particularly wish to come across as rude myself. If your advise was presented as less Elitist and dismissive I may have even taken notice of the fact you seem to know a thing or two about makers\design features etc..Sure whatever pleases ya.. Toppish, a particularly well articulated account of the Hamilton Flute there. On asthetics alone Hammys flutes are impressive, I like the silver tennons and tuning marks on the slide, having never played one I cannot make an informed comparison to my Old Murray..I wonder if I took a trip down to Cork would HH let prospectors try out a flute or two before ordering? Also toppish, are you in a position to comment make a on Doyle flutes yerself? any further advice appreciated..
Nicewhen those of ye with a bit more experience under yir belt arn’t condecending..Cocus

What about this De Keyser fella? his flutes arnt expensive and from wha I gather, decent enuf?

Trucks- come to Clare. Give me a ring. We’ll go over to Martin Doyle’s house together and you can try some of his flutes. I have one myself, in addition to Olwell’s that you’re also welcome to try. Martin lives three miles away from me. Hammy’s flutes are great too but Doyle’s are easier to play. Olwells easier yet and Brendan has one now. I prefer Hammy’s and Doyle’s flutes to the others mentioned.
Sorry to sound so dismissive. Too much Murray-baiting around lately. If yr a pal of Brendan’s yr ok with me.

Sorry, I can’t give any help on the Doyle flutes - never played one, or ever seen one. If you’re in the area of Cork and call Hammy in advance I’m sure he’d be up for having you over to his shop. He may or may not have an instrument to play as he’s got a fairly severe waiting list, but a call would answer that question.

No matter which good wood flute you choose, there will always be an issue with tuning because, (given that the instrument is in tune with itself), tuning is (mostly) a matter of position, breath, and hearing. I’ve had my share of out of tune instruments over the years, and usually the folks I sold them to were happy to get them - while I was ready to move up to a better, more compatible instrument for my playing style. I recently sold almost all of my "super whistles" for this very reason - in a recent live recording my tuning was all over the place - and I had to get rid of them and step up to a different whistle type that could handle the pressure that I play with and the dead-on tuning that the band I play in requires.

I think you’re on the right track.
All the best

I have never played a Grinter, but Kevin Crawford and John Kelly were very enthusiastic about theirs. Mike McGoldrick also plays one. That has to say something about their quality.