The Nash: 2009 - how did it go for you?

I’m putting this up mainly as a placeholder for other people to
comment, but I’ll start it off

The session environment was better this year. They didn’t block off
those alcoves in the Session bar and the smoker’s tent had better
ventilation. Disappointments - I would have loved to hear more from
Tola Custy and Aindrias De Staic. Aindrias De Staic has a Frankie
Gavin kinda style - a real virtuoso, but he was just sort of clowning
around a little bit in his performance piece.

A suggestion for the future:

There were some top level Trad players at the festival who did not
perform and others who were sort of submerged.

How about an all star session where a small group of invited
musicians play whatever they think of together for an hour or
two before an audience. NO REHEARSALS!! The ideal setup would
be to stage it the "in the round" - the audience surrounding the
musicians who would be seating in a circle.

I know the logistics would be tough - but wouldn’t it be great?

Re: The Nash: 2009 - how did it go for you?

The Nash == National Folk Festival, Canberra Australia

I had a great weekend
Satisfied my cravings for tunes on the fiddle at a few sessions. Got to hear some fantastic guitarists - obviously the big drawcard was Pierre Bensusan. As a bonus I met him after lunch on the Saturday and offered to go get him a coffee. For this I was rewarded with a one hour personal recital peppered with some fascinating stories and a few tricks of the trade. All this under the filtered sunlight on a warm afternoon under the trees - get the picture and yeah I really enjoyed this. Trouble is that he now expects a lot when I turn up for his workshop next week here in Perth.
A suprise for me was the Flamenco guitarist - Gerard Mapstone. Technically and musically brilliant.
Hup, I agree it would have been nice to hear more music from Aindreas De Staic but he really is a great stand-up comedian as well.

great festival (apart from what now seems the traditional final night deluge ensuring we drive home with a car full of wet tents, etc 🙂
some nice sessions and some lovely tunes to learn now. Impressed this year by some great concertina and mandolin playing at sessions - great to see.
Highlight of Instrument Makers was an awesome Doull/Black banjo which breathed fire!

Yeah I was in a taxi enroute to the airport when the heavy rain hit and I did think about those people that would have still had their tents up or staying the Monday night.

Oh more more more … I’m soaking it all up … there must have been a lot of rain 🙂. Thank you Hup for starting this thread. I would have loved to have been there (yet again … sigh!). Any clips for YouTube? Last time I looked, they were just 2008 clips, nothing new … and I heard a couple of thesess members on the radio on Friday when I tuned into the live broadcast and the Budawang concert on the ABC.

Ahhh, another great year - seemed like a year chock full of traddy goodness.

I spent most of the festy showing off my new little boy (sigh) so didn’t get to see as much as i’d have liked….

But for me the absolute, mega-highlight was the little casual talk/interview with Mick Doherty from WA, who has to be the great aussie trad discovery of the century. Originally from Donegal and about 86 years old, it was facinating to here his stories of growing up amongst the famous Donegal Dohertys - Uncle (the) John Doherty, legendary grandad and namesake Mick etc. He was such an unassuming guy, but such a great way of telling a story, and no sugar-coated nostalgia either, the poverty he grew up amongst was papable. And what a bloody great player! Superb versions of tunes and a lovely, light-yet-full-bodied attack…
(it was actually a pretty funny scene at the talk - about 30 fiddle obsessives (and me) crammed around the un-miked Mick as he tried talking over the Balkan brass band playing for a dance downstairs. There was little sense of ‘personal space’ as the audience (who included a facinated Andy Irvine) strained forward to hear Mick’s tales.)

Afterward’s the fiddle Mafia took Mick to the session bar for a tune, and I had the great pleasure of being the flute playing interloper at this mini fiddle-fest. Fair play to Kevin Bradley from the National Library for bringing Mick over, and Kevin’s spending a week with Mick at the library recording his stories and music - i can’t bloody wait to hear the results.

On a more bizare note, my other highlight was seing Andrew McNamara at the troubadour stage claim to be amazed at how much aussies knew about jigs and reels (um, aussies? really? riiiiiiight) and proceed to ask the audience for tune requests, which they readily suplied, and Andrew spent the rest of the gigs putting together sets from the requests! only at the national…

Wow, I had no idea about the Mick Doherty event - didn’t see it
in the program

my highlights were the tune sessions, as well as seeing Andy Irvine and his Australian Friends, Trouble in the Kitchen and playing in the Coast Ceili band. I was also lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to see Evenish and Squeeze play some tune sets at the awards ceremony. Crankin’ tunes! I too would love to see some YouTubings from the sessions soon.

I missed the festival for the first time in 15 years, thanks for painting the picture, keep up the Good Work.
Yes, some youtubings would be lovely.
I do hope you are referring to a son Sirnose, if so congratulations.

On Monday night (actually Tues morning) I sat in a session in the
smokers tent. I don’t smoke myself, but you’ve gotta go with the tunes.

From about 11.00 pm or so onwards it bucketed down
rain. For a while there were 3 very good concertina players, including
a famous session.org contributor. The rain kept going and going
through the ventilation panels of the tent. I told myself I’ll walk home
when it stops, but it never did. So I left at about 3:30AM - 15 min. walk to
my house in the drizzle from the venue. I am still not much of a fiddler
but I’m more a fiddler now than when the festival started.

i was at that session. true some nice concertina playing - some great fiddling too early on with a wall of them at one stage. I left at about 1.30 in the rain with nothing but a banjo case to shield me from the torrent. rain was so loud at session that it was almost impossible to hear what anyone other than the person beside you was playing - including a couple of pipers!