midis gone?

midis gone?

Hi …..I probably missed the announcement of midis no longer being given…..just wondered why this is so. I always tried the music on midi first to see if I wanted to download the sheet music. Love your site!
Melva

Re: midis gone?

tee hee hee

Posted by .

I just looked up the Kesh and it still has a midi file for download. Make sure you’ve signed in, and know that not every tune has a MIDI.

If the tune has not been converted to dots yet then there is no midi. If you are not logged in then there is no midi.

The midis should be gone for all the use they are. Seriously, the midi of a tune sounds only a little bit like the tune. Better to look on youtube.or look here http://irishflute.podbean.com/ or here http://comhaltas.ie/ to get the sound of a tune.

Posted by .

On the contrary, I find the midis quite useful. I can´t read dots and I´m not very good at the ABC notation system (although, if I put my mind to it, I could probably pick it up quite quickly).
I listen to the midi, it gives me the basics of the tune, then, after a lot of practice (depending on the complexity of the tune) I can bring it up to speed and give it lift, at the same time adding my own ornamentation.
I believe that ornamentation is a combination of you, your instrument and the way you play it.
What is good or feasable on the fiddle is not necessarily so on the accordeon, etc..
My pet grieve is when the midi already contains the poster´s ornamentation, then I have to disentangle it to get the basics of the tune.
I know that many (incl. Will and Llig) disagree with this, although I would agree that in some tunes, the question of whether ornamentation is an integral part of the tune or just “fiddly bits” can be a very fine line.

Oops….didn’t notice that my login had expired….no login, no midi. 😉
Thanks to those who helped.
M.

If I understand the system here correctly, no login, no midi - AND no posting on the discussions.

What happened is that I noticed I was not logged in when I came to the discussion board, but didn’t realize that was the reason I was not seeing midis.

Ah! thanks, all is clear.

Are midis gone? I’m logged in, I don’t see any.

If you click the download tab below the tune you can download the midi. Alternatively if you have an ABC program like EasyABC you can download the ABC and it will play them as midi.