422 - Jig Set

422 - Jig Set

I wonder whether anyone can help. 422 have a couple of tunes on their first CD ’ One’ which I believe they call ‘Jig Set’. Does anyone have the CD and know what the tunes are called? I have heard them played at sessions (particularly the first one) many times but can’t find out their names. And apologies in advance if I am posting this in the wrong place. Thanks in advance ……… Bob

Re: 422 - Jig Set

Le Bateau/Homage

Wouldn’t it make more sense to post the track listing to the recordings section?

Geoff - That is it ‘The Kilfenora’! A couple of versions are posted on the Session Archive. I believe that the one call ‘Old Favorite’ is closest to the 422 tune. Thanks so much for taking the time to post the track listing (even if it did mean facing a scolding!) This web site is incredible - I have learnt so much by ‘listening in’ on conversations. Keep the music strong ….. Bob

"Old Favourite" is, AFAIK, the more nearly original name of it. The name "Kilfenora" seems first to have been applied to this tune by Martin Hayes. There are two other jigs I know of, called "Kilfenora No. 1" and "Kilfenora No. 2".

One of the Kilfenora jigs can be found at https://thesession.org/tunes/949. The one before it is Paddy’s Return while the one after it is also accessible from this site although I don’t presently have the URL.