ITM Valhalla - Would Moving Hearts be in it?

ITM Valhalla - Would Moving Hearts be in it?

I posted this an event as a favour to a friend in the events section https://thesession.org/events/1450 and it got me wondering where Moving Hearts sat in the pantheon of greats.

Personally i think any band that can claim lineage to names like Spillane, Lunny, Sinnott and Moore deserve their place, but perhaps the pure drops amongst you thought they were too rock for taste?

Looking down my list of greats from the bands of yesteryear seeing names like Planxty, Patrick Street, Dubliners, Bothy Band, De Danann etc i know they are a different genre compared with all the acoustic based sound but i think the Hearts would definately have to be in there as well.

But I’m going to enjoy finding out if they deserve their place in one of Ireland’s most iconic music venues, Belfast’s newly refurbished Ulster Hall. Are any of you heading to it?

But the main question is are Moving Hearts in your ITM Valhalla?

Re: ITM Valhalla - Would Moving Hearts be in it?

Irish music, yes. Irish traditional music,no.

Posted by .

I’m with Kenny, fabulous group, not ITM and I’ll be at the concert.

Where could I get a Sam Brown belt for transporting my ruddal rose flute

Just downloaded all their stuff recently, wonderful group. Maybe not ITM but then neither were Planxty and Moving Hearts are a lot better than Planxty.

When is this concert then. Not going to tell your muckers about it?

Looked it up. According to their website Thursday 30th April but the Ulster hall don’t seem to know a bout it, according to their website.

By the way Fiddler, I have been thinking about this for weeks now.

Next St Patrick’s, electric guitars, bass, sax and all the rest. Enough of this politically correct ITM because the punters do not want to hear it, especially where we play.

So if you want to prance about and perform I will count you in, but others will have to go.

Would MV be in it?
Playing the semantics game again, I see, but, as I understand (or misunderstand) I-rish T-raditional M-usic, the answer is, IMHO, an emphatic
NO.

I love MV, but does anyone here seriously think they are not, at best, “progressive” traditonal?

And to Bodhran Bliss, I say this: “better than Planxty?”

I never thought I would offer you a raspberry, good fellow, but –
PHHHHHHHTTTTTT!!!

Nertz to you, I say.

Posted by .

I agree with Kenny and strayaway, mighty good stuff, but not trad.

First saw them in The Baggot Inn in Dublin in about 1980 or 81, not sure. Brilliant. And saw them again the following year on the main stage at Glastonbury on scorching saturday early evening. Brilliant. Saw them many times. One of my all time faves.

Posted .

That would have been 81 llig, the year they formed.
I saw them in the Castle in Salthill about the same time - an astonishing gig!
But not traditional by quite a bit. “Progressive traditional” - good one, Rook!
And apart from two albums (the first and The Storm), they weren’t really that great.
So NOT better than Planxty.
A better crowd-puller, possibly.

@Cosmic Ray:

I think she’s called Mermaid…

In 1974-75 I was Planxty’s “Minder” when they played in Belfast. I used to watch Liam’s pipe solo, and Brady doing “Arthur McBride”. The rest I skipped because at that stage the group were not interested.

I first saw them at Queen’s in Belfast shortly after they formed, doing support to John Martyn. Excellent.

But Moving Hearts had that whooopmp about them.

I actually got tickets today and told the people at the Ulster Hall that it is not on the web site.

Would Horslips make it? A lot of their early stuff started off traditional

Horslips were the best Irish Group ever, no argument. At any genre.

Lads who could play trad doing rock and roll interlaced with trad snippets, absolutely phenomenal.